Franchise Tag questions for you "Invoke Obscure Rules" Gurus

Beck Water

So the suggestion came up in the Gesicki trade thread, that a trade partner for Gesicki could potentially negotiate a new contract as part of the trade deal.

On the other hand, I rummaged around and refreshed my memory that the deadline for a team to sign a franchise tagged player to a new deal has disappeared in the rear view window:

NFL franchise tag deadline 2022  Date: Tuesday, March 8

For the teams that tag players, the deadline for those clubs to sign those players to long-term contract extensions is July 15 at 4 p.m. ET. If a tagged player does not have an extension in place by that deadline, he will play out the season on the tag.

So would a sign-and-trade deal work?  Does a new club that trades for the player get the chance to sign a tagged player to a new deal?  Or are they also locked in to play out the season on the tag?

Anyone?  I'll hang up and listen.

they can extend him but I believe the Franchise #s are set in stone for this season

July 15th was the cut off

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/03/07/nfl-franchise-tag-transition-tag-explained/9416155002/

The franchise tag gives a July 15 deadline to hammer out a new deal with the player. If no deal is reached by then, the player will play the season on a franchise tag salary until the window opens again to negotiate a deal the following offseason. 

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So the suggestion came up in the Gesicki trade thread, that a trade partner for Gesicki could potentially negotiate a new contract as part of the trade deal.

On the other hand, I rummaged around and refreshed my memory that the deadline for a team to sign a franchise tagged player to a new deal has disappeared in the rear view window:

So would a sign-and-trade deal work?  Does a new club that trades for the player get the chance to sign a tagged player to a new deal?  Or are they also locked in to play out the season on the tag?

Anyone?  I'll hang up and listen.

The rule you quote says the team who franchised the player can't extend/re sign the player. It doesn't say anything about another team doing so. 

With that said, I'm not certain if they can

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.