Gesicki on the trade block

DJB

29 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I love that a division rival is looking to get rid of one of their most talented players for a bag of peanuts and a roll of tape

They just ponied up a buttload of cash for several guys that are on the downside of their careers (see Hill, Tyreke), but don't want to give a second contract to a homegrown stud player just because he doesn't seem to fit what your new Boy Wonder coach wants to do? 

SMFH - Mike McDaniel is already turning into Adam Gase 2.0 and I for one, couldn't be happier

Where did you hear/read the Fins are looking to essentially giving him away? They  could be asking for something a bit more substantial. 

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Morris, a 2021 undrafted free agent out of Bowling Green, boasts a 77.8 PFF grade through two preseason games. He has good size at 6-foot-2, 252 pounds and ran a 4.66-second 40-yard dash last spring. Sweeney has earned a 73.0 mark, while Howard has garnered a 59.6 grade and has played more preseason snaps than Morris and Sweeney.

The Bills would save $2.25 million if they traded or released Howard.

If they cut him we eat 3.25 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/oj-howard-21760/

Probably can't trade him

I don't hear anyone talking about Sweeney or Morris being solid blockers....   That's what we're looking for in TE#2

Also take PFF with a grain of salt...

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

If they cut him we eat 3.25 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/oj-howard-21760/

Probably can't trade him

I don't hear anyone talking about Sweeney or Morris being solid blockers....   That's what we're looking for in TE#2

Also take PFF with a grain of salt...

So to keep him its 2.875 cap hit, to cut him its 3.25+Morris 705.  So it becomes about a 4m cap hit for morris essentially.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Where did you hear/read the Fins are looking to essentially giving him away? They  could be asking for something a bit more substantial. 

Well, let me ask the question a different way - what do you think an opposing team is going to give them for a guy playing on an expiring $10M contract less than 3 weeks before the season opener.  Is someone opening up a good amount of cap space to bring him in?

The Bills did extremely well to get a 5th round pick for Cody Ford.  If the Dolphins got even a 4th for Gesicki, I'd be surprised

• DJB changed the title to Gesicki on the trade block

Gesicki has said he is essentially learning a new position this year, referencing having to block versus just previously being more of a big receiver.  

So given blocking isn't something he excels at, it's not a surprise they are open to trading a TE making $10M that can't play the posit ion the way the offense is designed for him to play.  

It also would not surprise me to see OJ Howard cut by the Bills on our way to the final 53.  What was once an exciting free agent signing to pair his athleticism with Josh Allen and this offense, is now seemingly having the worst camp of all the TE's and appears behind both Morris and Sweeney.  Bills save over $2M cutting him too, so Howard may have to really turn it on here and fast if he is going to survive final cut downs.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Asking a primarily receiving TE to block isn't going to work.  It would be almost like asking a DT to play OLB in a 3-4 defense....luckily this franchise has never done anything like that.

Blocking is a skill that can be learned and improved, like most everything else.  But usually when a player is franchise tagged it's because he's seen as "Truth" at his position, an indispensable man - not because he has a fundamental gap in positional skills that will limit how you plan to use him. 

It would be like franchise tagging a CB who has spent his career playing press man coverage, then expecting him to focus on learning to play off-ball.  Can he learn and improve, Sure.  But you're not getting the ROI on the franchise tag.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

It also would not surprise me to see OJ Howard cut by the Bills on our way to the final 53.  What was once an exciting free agent signing to pair his athleticism with Josh Allen and this offense, is now seemingly having the worst camp of all the TE's and appears behind both Morris and Sweeney.  Bills save over $2M cutting him too, so Howard may have to really turn it on here and fast if he is going to survive final cut downs.

One more time.  The Bills will save NOTHING if they cut Howard, because his $3.25M contract is fully guaranteed.  In fact, it will cost them $0.625M to cut him because he has a void year tacked on to his fully guaranteed 1 year contract

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Gesicki has said he is essentially learning a new position this year, referencing having to block versus just previously being more of a big receiver.  

So given blocking isn't something he excels at, it's not a surprise they are open to trading a TE making $10M that can't play the posit ion the way the offense is designed for him to play.  

I wouldn't mind trying to develop him as a blocker next year, but it's a little late now, not that Miami would trade with us.

Edited by Warcodered

3 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Well, let me ask the question a different way - what do you think an opposing team is going to give them for a guy playing on an expiring $10M contract less than 3 weeks before the season opener.  Is someone opening up a good amount of cap space to bring him in?

The Bills did extremely well to get a 5th round pick for Cody Ford.  If the Dolphins got even a 4th for Gesicki, I'd be surprised

So you're simply assuming.  Gotcha.

Let me ask you this question. If they are only asking for a 6th or 7th for him, wouldn't you expect the deal to be done already?  I'm assuming it would.  

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think Gesicki is a fine player, but if he doesn't fit their needs, why TF did they franchise tag him?  Or, if they decided to franchise tag him, why didn't they "tag and trade" early in FA when teams had money and roster space, and could spend the off season teaching a new guy their playbook and working him in?

I could be wrong, but I kind of think their trade market for a guy with a 1 yr, $10.9M fully guaranteed deal is gonna be a bit limited at this point.

No clue why they franchised him.  I suppose they didn’t completely know what they were getting (or letting go).  New staff that never coached him before.  Maybe they thought they could coach him up and didn’t want to give up on such a nice target before they spent some time with him rather than just watching tape

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

So you're simply assuming.  Gotcha.

Let me ask you this question. If they are only asking for a 6th or 7th for him, wouldn't you expect the deal to be done already?  I'm assuming it would.  

I'm willing to guess there's some significant distance between what the Dolphins would like to get and any (more realistic) offers that they have so far received

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.