Gesicki on the trade block

DJB

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

No way they’d trade him to us…but man imagine adding TE of his caliber!!

I don't think he's a match for the skill set we expect of a TE.  We even expect our WR to block decently.  Davis blocks well.  Even the Muscle Hamster can lay a respectable block down.

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

don't want to sign him to a new deal

Then why did they franchise tag him?

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They can do that and if they can’t trade him, they probably will do that at times….. but they aren’t going to change their offense because he can’t block.  Considering the deal he’ll want, there’s no way they’d want to spend big on a TE that doesn’t fit their needs.  Might as well get something for him and avoid any potential headache he may cause because he doesn’t fit 

I think Gesicki is a fine player, but if he doesn't fit their needs, why TF did they franchise tag him?  Or, if they decided to franchise tag him, why didn't they "tag and trade" early in FA when teams had money and roster space, and could spend the off season teaching a new guy their playbook and working him in?

I could be wrong, but I kind of think their trade market for a guy with a 1 yr, $10.9M fully guaranteed deal is gonna be a bit limited at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I kind of think their trade market for a guy with a 1 yr, $10.9M fully guaranteed deal is gonna be a bit limited at this point.

Unless the Dolphins and the potential trade partner does a sign then trade type of deal. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think Gesicki is a fine player, but if he doesn't fit their needs, why TF did they franchise tag him?  Or, if they decided to franchise tag him, why didn't they "tag and trade" early in FA when teams had money and roster space, and could spend the off season teaching a new guy their playbook and working him in?

Tampa? Brate and Rudolph are their TEs.  Tommy knows how to get a ball to the TE.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Outside of Knox, who do we have that's better?

Makes sense to get rid of Howard. From the OP's attachment

TE O.J. HOWARD, BUFFALO BILLS

It was notable to see tight end Quintin Morris, not Howard, start in place of Dawson Knox in Buffalo's Week 2 preseason matchup, which Knox missed to be with his family after the tragic death of his younger brother.

Next off the bench was Tommy Sweeney. Then Howard got reps. Morris played seven snaps in the first quarter, while Sweeney received three snaps and Howard was on the field for just one play in the opening quarter.

It wasn’t ultimately all that shocking, however, since PFF was told by a source earlier in the week after Jalen Wydermyer was released that Buffalo believed Morris was one of their most improved players this offseason. That source believed Morris could push Howard, who was identified as a training camp “faller” for a piece earlier this month, off the roster.

Morris, a 2021 undrafted free agent out of Bowling Green, boasts a 77.8 PFF grade through two preseason games. He has good size at 6-foot-2, 252 pounds and ran a 4.66-second 40-yard dash last spring. Sweeney has earned a 73.0 mark, while Howard has garnered a 59.6 grade and has played more preseason snaps than Morris and Sweeney.

The Bills would save $2.25 million if they traded or released Howard.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills have to pass on guys like this.  I for one believe a late day 2 or early day 3 pick next year will be used for another TE.

Last Miami TE Buffalo snagged didn't work out so well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think he's a match for the skill set we expect of a TE.  We even expect our WR to block decently.  Davis blocks well.  Even the Muscle Hamster can lay a respectable block down.

Knox

Gesiki

Howard

Giliam

two blocking TEs and two play makers…could work out….not gonna happen but that would be crazy to have Knox and Gesiki

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's a fair point.  Gesicki is more like a 6'6" wide receiver.  He was seldom asked to block.

But the Dolphins franchise-tagged him at the start of the new league year, almost exactly a month after hiring McDaniel as head coach.  So it's not like he had blocking chops on film that have evaporated in the meantime.

He also was 2nd on the Dolphins in receiving yards to Waddle.

If the Dolphins didn't want a 6'6" 247 lb wide receiver, why did they tag him?

Article from the Miami Herald:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article264716879.html

Long after Tua Tagovailoa and every other offensive starter for the Miami Dolphins checked out of the game for good Saturday, Mike Gesicki remained at his usual spot on the edges of the Dolphins’ offensive line. Gesicki was out there on the very first play of the game and until the very end of the second half, his 25 snaps standing in stark contrast to Tagovailoa’s 13 and Durham Smythe’s 10. On a day when most starters’ days were done after about a dozen snaps, Gesicki’s play count was more akin to a reserve fighting to prove himself and secure a roster spot. “I need it,” Gesicki said. “I need all the reps I can get.”

Gesicki finished the preseason tune-up with three catches for 27 yards, including a 16-yard catch in the second quarter. He also, however, had an ugly drop on third down to end the Dolphins’ opening drive and missed a block in the second quarter (....)

Although Gesicki and McDaniel both pointed to the playcall as the primary reason for the safety, the blocking mishap highlighted an ongoing issue for Gesicki in this new-look offense. For most of his career, Gesicki has essentially been a slot receiver, seldom asked to block. (....)

“It’s definitely a whole different offense, a whole different scheme. I’m learning a new position, honestly,” Gesicki said. “I played receiver last year, I played receiver the last three, four years. I’m playing tight end now. Any reps I can get live out there, blocking, putting my hands on another guy and going out there and working hard and blocking and honestly just working on my footwork, my hand placement, all that kind of stuff. Any reps I can get at that, I can use it.”

If he can grasp his new role, Gesicki can once again be one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL — even more dangerous than he was last year. For now, it creates an uneasy situation, though: By asking Gesicki to block more than he did last year, the Dolphins aren’t playing to his strengths.

All this is to confirm what people here are saying, but if you want a multi-purpose TE, why on earth franchise tag (unless immediate tag-and-trade, which would likely have worked OK) a large-bodied WR who needs to learn how to play TE?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Why in the hell would Miami want to trade that guy?  I've hated playing against him...he seems to be the one Fin who shows up against Buffalo.

He only shows up against Buffalo. He disappears in too many other games.

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Makes sense to get rid of Howard. From the OP's attachment

TE O.J. HOWARD, BUFFALO BILLS

It was notable to see tight end Quintin Morris, not Howard, start in place of Dawson Knox in Buffalo's Week 2 preseason matchup, which Knox missed to be with his family after the tragic death of his younger brother.

Next off the bench was Tommy Sweeney. Then Howard got reps. Morris played seven snaps in the first quarter, while Sweeney received three snaps and Howard was on the field for just one play in the opening quarter.

It wasn’t ultimately all that shocking, however, since PFF was told by a source earlier in the week after Jalen Wydermyer was released that Buffalo believed Morris was one of their most improved players this offseason. That source believed Morris could push Howard, who was identified as a training camp “faller” for a piece earlier this month, off the roster.

Morris, a 2021 undrafted free agent out of Bowling Green, boasts a 77.8 PFF grade through two preseason games. He has good size at 6-foot-2, 252 pounds and ran a 4.66-second 40-yard dash last spring. Sweeney has earned a 73.0 mark, while Howard has garnered a 59.6 grade and has played more preseason snaps than Morris and Sweeney.

The Bills would save $2.25 million if they traded or released Howard.

The Bills would save nothing if they released Howard because his contract is fully guaranteed.

The trade partner would take on $2.25M of salary and per-game roster bonus, but then the salary of the player who replaces him must be accounted for.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.