Gesicki on the trade block

DJB

6 minutes ago, DJB said:
Props to the poster that called this a few days ago. Please announce yourself as well for a complimentary back rub

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Why in the hell would Miami want to trade that guy?  I've hated playing against him...he seems to be the one Fin who shows up against Buffalo.

For some reason, he's become Tremaine Edmunds to their fans, but he seems to be on the outs with their staff for some reason. They do prefer TEs who can block and catch, but I don't understand why they just don't use him like a slot receiver out of a 2 TE set or something. Given his receiving prowess, it seems like an offensive genius could find a way to use him. McDaniel feels to me like one of those guys who doesn't design an offense to his players. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Why in the hell would Miami want to trade that guy?  I've hated playing against him...he seems to be the one Fin who shows up against Buffalo.

My guess is that he can’t block.  The niner offense needs TEs that can block. 

• Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

McDaniel comes from the Shanahan stretch zone school where TE’s have a lot of blocking responsibilities. 

Gesicki is a ***** blocker and has basically just been playing as a big WR in the Dolphins offense the last couple of years. He’s admitted as much so his value in their new offense is low. 

Just now, uninja said:

McDaniel comes from the Shanahan stretch zone school where TE’s have a lot of blocking responsibilities. 

Gesicki is a ***** blocker and has basically just been playing as a big WR in the Dolphins offense the last couple of years. He’s admitted as much so his value in their new offense is low. 

It's also why he wouldn't really fit here, not that they'd trade him here anyway.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Good question.  He has the 2nd highest cap hit on the team ($10M), but the Dolphins have $17M of cap space

• Like (+1) 1

I love that a division rival is looking to get rid of one of their most talented players for a bag of peanuts and a roll of tape

They just ponied up a buttload of cash for several guys that are on the downside of their careers (see Hill, Tyreke), but don't want to give a second contract to a homegrown stud player just because he doesn't seem to fit what your new Boy Wonder coach wants to do? 

SMFH - Mike McDaniel is already turning into Adam Gase 2.0 and I for one, couldn't be happier

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

For some reason, he's become Tremaine Edmunds to their fans, but he seems to be on the outs with their staff for some reason. They do prefer TEs who can block and catch, but I don't understand why they just don't use him like a slot receiver out of a 2 TE set or something. Given his receiving prowess, it seems like an offensive genius could find a way to use him. 

They can do that and if they can’t trade him, they probably will do that at times….. but they aren’t going to change their offense because he can’t block.  Considering the deal he’ll want, there’s no way they’d want to spend big on a TE that doesn’t fit their needs.  Might as well get something for him and avoid any potential headache he may cause because he doesn’t fit 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He's primarily been a large WR with no blocking responsibilities.  Now they want him to block and he's struggling.  Interesting roster management though.  They franchised tagged him and now want to trade him. 😁

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

I was listening to Grossi/Perna and they were suggesting that Mikey don't block and McDaniel doesn't want a TE that can't block. 

EDIT:  What NewERA and DCbillsFan said

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That's a fair point.  Gesicki is more like a 6'6" wide receiver.  He was seldom asked to block.

But the Dolphins franchise-tagged him at the start of the new league year, almost exactly a month after hiring McDaniel as head coach.  So it's not like he had blocking chops on film that have evaporated in the meantime.

He also was 2nd on the Dolphins in receiving yards to Waddle.

If the Dolphins didn't want a 6'6" 247 lb wide receiver, why did they tag him?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Malazan said:

For some reason, he's become Tremaine Edmunds to their fans, but he seems to be on the outs with their staff for some reason. They do prefer TEs who can block and catch, but I don't understand why they just don't use him like a slot receiver out of a 2 TE set or something. Given his receiving prowess, it seems like an offensive genius could find a way to use him. McDaniel feels to me like one of those guys who doesn't design an offense to his players. 

Gesecki dosent block, runs poor routes, limited YAC, Big WR in TE body, FA at the end of the year and has a 9 million plus contract

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.