Ken Dorsey Tuesday presser

Beck Water

Thanks for posting though he said little revelatory and reading in-between the lines, I came up with nothing.

Except maybe this: he's not committed to avoiding Josh running the ball.  If the situation requires it, he'll call some QB runs.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

56 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thanks for posting though he said little revelatory and reading in-between the lines, I came up with nothing.

Except maybe this: he's not committed to avoiding Josh running the ball.  If the situation requires it, he'll call some QB runs.  

The problem wasn't calling them, it was more that it seemed to be the first and only answer they went to..

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Why are ppl against Josh running? 

It was extremely effective,  especially in the Red Zone. 

He's definitely going to keep designed runs. It's a big reason why this O is so deadly 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Didn't seem to give anything away to me.  He'll get more comfortable the more he does it.  I'm betting Josh runs less this year.  Just think they would like to protect him better. 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

He's definitely going to keep designed runs. It's a big reason why this O is so deadly 

Josh is a fighter and goes for the extra yards.  Don't mind him running on a scramble but the designed runs will just mean more hits on Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm in that group that believes that Josh needs to be protected from himself via prudent play calling.

On critical downs a Josh run should always be on the table to keep the defense honest but I'm really really wishing/hoping that the addition of Aaron Kromer and improvements in our RB room will lead to a team that can run effectively without involving the QB... unlike last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Didn't seem to give anything away to me.  He'll get more comfortable the more he does it.  I'm betting Josh runs less this year.  Just think they would like to protect him better. 

Josh is a fighter and goes for the extra yards.  Don't mind him running on a scramble but the designed runs will just mean more hits on Allen.

The designed runs were essential in the red zone. Why change it up now after 4 years?

He's a great QB but he's a great football player first 

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The designed runs were essential in the red zone. Why change it up now after 4 years?

He's a great QB but he's a great football player first 

I agree that they were essential.   I'm just saying that with a better o line and rb situation they won't be as essential.  They are a great tool to have in the arsenal and to be honest those don't bother me so much.  The runs at other points of the field on early downs do.  Those are downs where the rb should be making their presence known.  

Edited by DallasMac
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

People are against Josh running as much as he does, especially on designed runs, because it's treating him like a running back.

Running backs have some of the shortest lifespans as effective NFL players because of the constant contact and hard hits they take.

Running QBs traditionally have shorter effective careers.

It's one thing when Josh scrambles and can choose to slide or to get out of bounds.  That arguably results in less hits than standing in the pocket.

It's another thing when the Bills call multiple designed QB runs for him

It's a worse thing yet, if Josh is basically the Bills only option to mount an effective running game because the OL and the backs can't get 'er done.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think it is more of the quantity of runs. Each run increases the potential for injury to your franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sal Maiorana captured some of the things I heard.    This is reading between the lines.

Basically: OJ Howard is not a lock to make the team and Dorsey seems to indicate that he defers final decisions on offensive personnel.

“I think O.J. has been doing a heck of a job and those three guys are all working their tail off and really putting them in a position to make things very tough on all the decision makers here,” offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey said Tuesday.

Translation: Howard is not a lock to make the team, and Dorsey can make an argument for Sweeney and Morris

Sal calls the question.  If OJ has been doing a heck of a job then why...

With Knox missing the game due to the death of his brother, the assumption was that Howard would start in his place. He didn’t. Morris played five of the six snaps on the opening drive, Allen’s only one, and Sweeney and fullback/tight end Reggie Gilliam also played one snap on that possession.

Dorsey has this to say:

“Honestly, it’s just the way it panned out and the way the game was called in that first drive,” Dorsey said of Howard’s absence. “We were trying to mix and match guys and give them opportunities in different personnel groupings, so just based off of that one drive … the personnel groupings that were called weren’t O.J.’s.”
“It’s no fault of O.J.’s, it’s just the way the game was honestly called,” Dorsey said.

As Sal points out:

Sorry, but that seems like a problem. If he’s supposed to be the backup tight end who you’ve committed more than $3 million in salary to, why wouldn’t he be involved in those personnel groupings unless he hasn’t earned those reps?

There were a couple of other interesting things.  For example, Dorsey asserts that all 3 of the RBs can operate in different areas - between the tackles, outside the tackles, in the passing game.  Now I dunno.  But it seemed as though last year, Moss and Singletary just didn't have the speed to get outside.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm in that group that believes that Josh needs to be protected from himself via prudent play calling.

On critical downs a Josh run should always be on the table to keep the defense honest but I'm really really wishing/hoping that the addition of Aaron Kromer and improvements in our RB room will lead to a team that can run effectively without involving the QB... unlike last year.

Let Allen play his game. Restrict him to your own detriment. He needs to be out there free and loose. He is the greatest weapon in the NFL. You don't restrict that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

I think the point that we're all trying to make here, is that we don't need the Josh Allen designed QB sweep on a random 2nd & 4 from our own 28 yard line

I'm all for him scrambling on designed pass plays, as well as designed runs in the red zone.  

But it's this ridiculous other stuff outside those areas (where he invariably takes bigger hits, it seems) that has to be significantly reduced in our offense

I don't need our generational QB carrying the ball, when a highly effective (and replaceable) RB can do the job

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think the point that we're all trying to make here, is that we don't need the Josh Allen designed QB sweep on a random 2nd & 4 from our own 28 yard line

I'm all for him scrambling on designed pass plays, as well as designed runs in the red zone.  

But it's this ridiculous other stuff outside those areas (where he invariably takes bigger hits, it seems) that has to be significantly reduced in our offense

I don't need our generational QB carrying the ball, when a highly effective (and replaceable) RB can do the job

"I'm Brandon Beane, and I Endorse This Message"

The question I have is whether Beane has truly provided sufficient increase in OL effectiveness and the right RBs to Make It So.

I still kind of feel that the Bills Brain Trust wants Champagne OL protection on a Beer budget.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm personally NOT against Josh running.  The threat of his running is one more headache for the defense.  The more the D has to worry about, the better.  

Some folks worry about him getting hurt.  I wonder, though, if he's any more likely to get hurt on a run than scanning the field in a collapsing pocket.  I wonder if there are any stats on that?

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm personally NOT against Josh running.  The threat of his running is one more headache for the defense.  The more the D has to worry about, the better.  

Some folks worry about him getting hurt.  I wonder, though, if he's any more likely to get hurt on a run than scanning the field in a collapsing pocket.  I wonder if there are any stats on that?

this is such a great question. I wonder if such stats exist. I would like to know the answer to this. My guess is that most injuries happen to QB's in a collapsing pocket rather than run. Only because QB's who will take chances to scramble and run are fewer than pocket passers....basically more opportunities for injury to  QB's behind the line of scrimmage   than run. Do you agree? What do you think?

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.