Bills “trying to run the clock out” on Tre’Davious White PUP list decision

HOUSE

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Absolutely.  Putting him on the PUP makes him unavailable for several weeks. Sounds like they think he may be available in the first few weeks of the season.  

Putting him on the PUP means he doesn't count against the 53. If they don't and he can't play it's one less healthy player for game day. 

I'd be shocked if he plays by week 8.  Let him heal for another two months.  He is needed in Dec, Jan, and Feb not Sept or Oct.  

47 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's a good chance this team is sitting around .500 after the first half of the season given the schedule and how many good QB/offenses we face.

We don't need to rush him, but we also should have adequately addressed the DB position in FA instead of relying on rookies, including a 1st rounder that doesn't look like he's ready to make a meaningful contribution right away and whose career could be adversely impacted by forcing him into the lineup against some of the league's elite QB/WR combos we are going to see in the first half of the season.

As for the continued word salad from McD/Beane/etc they know he's likely not ready and won't be any time soon hence the 'run out the clock' type of comment because once he is put on PUP or IR they don't have to answer media questions anytime soon.

There's a better chance they're 6-2 at the halfway mark.

• Like (+1) 2

I've had this thought for a while; that the Bills are holding him back "from football activities" intentionally.  They have the confidence to roll with Elam, and/or Benford because of the talent/scheme around them. 

They're going to season the rookies until they want Tre White to come back and then ease him back into the fold. Then you have Tre, Jackson, and the rookies splitting time until the playoffs.  Which is when you send Tre and Elam (or whoever shows the best) locking it down in crunch time.

3 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

rather have Tre be fully healthy,  no timetable.   just heal up fully.    cut somebody, make some space and go sign Haden if Tre cant be ready for the first however many games.

Tre is too good of a player to put back on the field too early and reinjure himself.   get him ready for the postseason if need be.

With the cap situation I dont see them signing anybody now. No guarantees some 30-something 

whom NOBODY ELSE has signed yet would be better than Jackson/Elam/Benford 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

With the cap situation I dont see them signing anybody now. No guarantees some 30-something 

whom NOBODY ELSE has signed yet would be better than Jackson/Elam/Benford 

u do realize that its very possible Haden has been waiting to see where the dominos fall,  and didnt really want to be in a training camp at his age.   word was he was waiting on Cleveland to find out if Watson was going to play before he decided where to go.  probably doesnt want just a check, he wants to win as well.    youre putting alot of faith in  2 rookies with zero NFL experience, and another guy who isnt terrible,  but is young and not really a number 1 CB.   if anything,  Haden brings plenty of experience.   price may be too high though.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

The fact that they are waiting so long seems to suggest he’s close and they think he could potentially be ready for the start of the season. That’s positive news for sure! 

i think it’s the opposite.

they want to wait and see ispf no CBS get hurt in next game.

if everyone is healthy..he goes on PUP. If one gets hurt then he’s on the roster and might be back for week 3.

if they have other players injured they could use his spot , put him on PUP, then carry player to in season then IR.

I'd rather them just play it safe & let him sit the first 4 games.

If they're still on the fence, better to just be cautious. It's a long, 17 game season. Bills have some tough early opponents, but "13 seconds" still stands as a painful reminder how important it'll be to have him as healthy as possible come playoff time.

Some of the comments from the article thread are not making me happy:

1. "bostonblows says:

It would be wise to hold White out until after they face Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle Week 3."

2. "yeahbut says:

“We’re trying to run out the clock here …”

I’m expecting they’ll come up 13 seconds short."

3. "touchback6 says:

[...]

I mean, has there even been a more chokier franchise in NFL history than the Buffalo Bills?

I’d say Minnesota is in there, too, but the ways in which Buffalo has choked is fascinating. Even if you drew it up, you couldn’t quite make it up.

LOL

Their secondary is going to be a mess to start the year like it was last year when KC just shreded them to the moon and back."

9 minutes ago, chongli said:

Some of the comments from the article thread are not making me happy:

1. "bostonblows says:

It would be wise to hold White out until after they face Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle Week 3."

2. "yeahbut says:

“We’re trying to run out the clock here …”

I’m expecting they’ll come up 13 seconds short."

3. "touchback6 says:

[...]

I mean, has there even been a more chokier franchise in NFL history than the Buffalo Bills?

I’d say Minnesota is in there, too, but the ways in which Buffalo has choked is fascinating. Even if you drew it up, you couldn’t quite make it up.

LOL

Their secondary is going to be a mess to start the year like it was last year when KC just shreded them to the moon and back."

#3 needs to chill

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's a good chance this team is sitting around .500 after the first half of the season given the schedule and how many good QB/offenses we face.

You mean Tua (lol)?

Sammy Watkins and Randall Cobb, who haven't touched 1,000 yards receiving in years, and newbie Adam Lazard? Aaron Jones?

Lamar Jackson (lol) to Rashod Bateman, James Proche, and Devin Duvernay?

Ryan Tannenhill?

Mitch Trubisky or Kenny Pickett?

Sure, we have some tough games, but we should win most. 6-2, as Doc said, or better sounds about right. I'd be surprised with 3-5 or 4-4 or even 5-3.

Surprised you haven't been banned for trolling yet.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be shocked if he did.

Yeah........IMO that @Miami game being in the first month sticks out as a day when they really want all hands on deck in the secondary.

It's important to keep Miami down and avoid a tight divisional race like the one they played themselves into last year by treating the middle of the season with a lack of urgency..........and also to not let the "Tyreek effect" become a thing in that rivalry.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Putting him on the PUP means he doesn't count against the 53. If they don't and he can't play it's one less healthy player for game day. 

I'd be shocked if he plays by week 8.  Let him heal for another two months.  He is needed in Dec, Jan, and Feb not Sept or Oct.  

I'm not talking about when is the right time to bring him back.  What you say is correct.  But if he's healthy and can play in week 2, then the Bills will want him available to play.  If they've put him on the PUP, then he's not available.  They don't want him on the PUP if he can play. So, they'll wait as long as they can before they do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like their philosophy of wait until a player is completely healthy before bringing him back so he doesn’t re-injure himself.

I hate it as much anyone, but I don’t want him down for the year on a SB potential run.  If anything, I just want him for the KC game. 

For all the hype on Lamar, he had the 32nd ranked passing game last year.  The Ravens will be good in week 4, but this is more of a Phillips, Settle, Jones, and Oliver problem penetrating up the middle shutting down the run game.

7 hours ago, djp14150 said:

i think it’s the opposite.

they want to wait and see ispf no CBS get hurt in next game.

if everyone is healthy..he goes on PUP. If one gets hurt then he’s on the roster and might be back for week 3.

if they have other players injured they could use his spot , put him on PUP, then carry player to in season then IR.

Interesting thought but I don’t think they’d mess with Tre’s health. It’s all about him in my opinion. I could see where you’re coming from though. 

My gut feeling is they activate him to the 53 man roster before the season starts.  He'll first get playing time in the home opener against the Titans and they slowly increase his reps until he's a full go against the Chiefs.  I base this off nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.