Do "we" the buffalo community put to much pressure on Josh?

gordong

At training camp this year it really hit me how much Josh deals with off the field in terms of pressure from fans.   Not to perform, just for autographs and PR stuff.

The practice session concludes, the other players all head to the locker room, and two hundred kids pile down the bleachers and stand there with their stuff for him to sign.   Some of the other players like Knox are trying to sign stuff and help him out, but it's pretty obvious that everyone is waiting for 17.

Josh his GF and Tanner Gentry and his GF are trying to have a conversation on the empty practice field and there is so much screaming "Josh Josh hey Josh!"  He is acknowledging and being polite but the poor guy is just trying to have a 10 minute convo (Jim Kelly was there with them for awhile as well) and you can tell he feels pulled by all the kids but they're trying to talk something over and he's kinda torn, keeps waving over.

Then when he finally starts heading to the sidelines it's virtually impossible for him to sign even a quarter of the stuff being waved at him.  Kids in wheelchairs that he doesn't even see, just mass hysteria.  He handles it really well as you would expect him to, puts in a hard 15-20 minutes, smiling, winking, high fiving, grabbing peoples phones and taking selfies, then he really has no choice but to walk away and disappoint most of the crowd.  I'm sure he's used to it, and compared to most athletes we all know Josh is a giving superstar with his time and effort to connect with the fans, but I've never really witnesses THAT much adulation and pressure in an off the field situation for an athlete before.  Like no matter how much you give there are always more kids and fans that you skipped over.

It struck me that his guy may be the best football player in the world right now, and the extra attention that comes along with it is pretty insane.   

13 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

At training camp this year it really hit me how much Josh deals with off the field in terms of pressure from fans.   Not to perform, just for autographs and PR stuff.

The practice session concludes, the other players all head to the locker room, and two hundred kids pile down the bleachers and stand there with their stuff for him to sign.   Some of the other players like Knox are trying to sign stuff and help him out, but it's pretty obvious that everyone is waiting for 17.

Josh his GF and Tanner Gentry and his GF are trying to have a conversation on the empty practice field and there is so much screaming "Josh Josh hey Josh!"  He is acknowledging and being polite but the poor guy is just trying to have a 10 minute convo (Jim Kelly was there with them for awhile as well) and you can tell he feels pulled by all the kids but they're trying to talk something over and he's kinda torn, keeps waving over.

Then when he finally starts heading to the sidelines it's virtually impossible for him to sign even a quarter of the stuff being waved at him.  Kids in wheelchairs that he doesn't even see, just mass hysteria.  He handles it really well as you would expect him to, puts in a hard 15-20 minutes, smiling, winking, high fiving, grabbing peoples phones and taking selfies, then he really has no choice but to walk away and disappoint most of the crowd.  I'm sure he's used to it, and compared to most athletes we all know Josh is a giving superstar with his time and effort to connect with the fans, but I've never really witnesses THAT much adulation and pressure in an off the field situation for an athlete before.  Like no matter how much you give there are always more kids and fans that you skipped over.

It struck me that his guy may be the best football player in the world right now, and the extra attention that comes along with it is pretty insane.   

i ended up going on the very last day of camp, and that scene was still crazy.  I mentioned it to my wife that these guys must be so sick of signing autographs by the end of that week.  it's a total madhouse.  

i was told by a security guard that there was a guy who brought his 3 year old multiple times to get a football signed, and had around 15 signatures on it.  apparently he dropped the ball, and in all the chaos, someone scooped it up and took off.  that had the entire security detail looking for the ball and never found it. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

7 minutes ago, teef said:

i ended up going on the very last day of camp, and that scene was still crazy.  I mentioned it to my wife that these guys must be so sick of signing autographs by the end of that week.  it's a total madhouse.  

i was told by a security guard that there was a guy who brought his 3 year old multiple times to get a football signed, and had around 15 signatures on it.  apparently he dropped the ball, and in all the chaos, someone scooped it up and took off.  that had the entire security detail looking for the ball and never found it. 

That's pretty much how I saw this question, the expectations to win a SB that's normal and he handles it great.

The off the field fan intensity is a little much to be putting it mildly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I think this is true, but Palmer made some points about Josh being hailed as "The One That was Promised" "The Saviour" etc etc that takes fandom to a next level.  Buffalo does have some unique aspects to fandom having these passionate, focused fans vs larger cities with 4 or even 5 professional sports franchises. 

The crowds at the airport at 2 or 3 am in the bitter cold

The selfie of Josh hanging up in the Art Museum

Bills fans built a freakin' hospital wing dedicated to his grandmother etc etc. 

I think those things are kind of unique to Buffalo.   I could be wrong.

This, I think, is actually true and not just by training to be a responsible elite athlete, but by nature of the family's whole position in the community.

He’ll be fine brother.  You’re right.  Bills Mafia is a little nuts and fantastic.  Polian on Late Hits said as much who I trust that only GB, and Pitt, are even close to our fandom.

he’s in year 5 so he’s used to it.  With each year he’ll manage better and better.  Smart he chose slow Elvis songs and Sinatra.  He figured out awhile ago to not be Sugar Allen.

I don’t see him going back.  Brady didn’t.  Manning didn’t (peyton).  Least of my worries.

Another reason this fan base should say a prayer we have a unicorn for the next 15 years barring a bad injury.  He’s getting better at not taking chances.

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

That’s what happens when you’re a superstar

It’s not just a Josh Allen thing And all the great quarterbacks thrive on pressure

All of this comes with the territory of being an NFL quarterback

You are now in the spotlight 24 7 and there are children that look up to you.. They want pictures and autographs  , the whole shebang 

life of an nfl superstar 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Gotta be nuttin like Joisey or The City 

Piece of cake 🍰 

The city is soooo big You can actually relatively hide easier.. You can get one day out on the town… go in incognito for a few hours 

There’s not one place Josh will go in Buffalo where he is not mobbed 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s what happens when you’re a superstar

It’s not just a Josh Allen thing And all the great quarterbacks thrive on pressure

All of this comes with the territory of being an NFL quarterback

You are now in the spotlight 24 7 and there are children that look up to you.. They want pictures and autographs  , the whole shebang 

life of an nfl superstar 

The city is soooo big You can actually relatively hide easier.. You can get one day out on the town… go in incognito for a few hours 

There’s not one place Josh will go in Buffalo where he is not mobbed 

he needs a fake pregnancy belt and a mullet wig 

A little black gum on a tooth 🦷 or two. 

Calling Doctor Teef 

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Yes. Every Fanbase puts too much pressure on their quarterback. But, that’s why you choose to be a quarterback. You want the game on your shoulders. Also, who the hell is that guy in the lower left hand corner of the video?!!!!

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

It’s to throw off the censors so that the video doesn’t get flagged for copyright infringement. Almost all videos that are not uploaded by the source will have something extra for this. Videos with music will do this as well, some speed up the song, others manipulate the length.

I thought it was the creepy Dr. Pepper guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.