Do "we" the buffalo community put to much pressure on Josh?

gordong

Not sure.  I'd say no, but I've been living in San Diego for years.  My folks live in Buffalo, but they are generally sane and well adjusted people, so what I get from them (and local coverage when I visit) seems pretty reasonable to me.  Same goes with the WGR call in shows I listen to on Audacy.  Any pressure put on Josh from fans seems inline with most any other major sports fan base when it comes to their star players.  At least Buffalo loves their guys like family, unlike some other cities that are quick to eat their own.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I've been camping in his front yard for a year now and cheering loudly for him whenever he gets the mail.  He seems to like it.

If you were booing him it would add more pressure

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No. This is why they picked him and this is why they pay him.  

This^^^ 

We have certainly seen our fair share of players over the drought who could not live up to the pressure of being a NFL QB.  Josh has it all well in hand.  He seems to have a very good support system around him. He also pushes himself harder than any of us can. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every starting QB is under immense pressure.  This isn’t new, nor unique to Buffalo.

Hes been groomed by his dad since a youngin to handle it.  

He’s fine.  It’s why he even thinks of music like soft Elvis stuff and Sinatra so he doesn’t get too amped up.

Bot concerned at all.  He has the next 15 years of all goes well to enjoy becoming the hero of WNY and beyond.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

To clarify, having given this a listen, Jordan Palmer says that he's known a lot of good QB who couldn't handle the pressure Buffalo puts on its star players, but the way Josh is built, he can handle it.

So agreeing with Jordan Palmer would be to say, somehow the way Josh is built, Josh can handle it.

I don't think you qualify as a "good QB" if you can't handle the pressure.  It's 100% part of the job description.  

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

If you were booing him it would add more pressure

only if he drops the mail! 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Not sure.  I'd say no, but I've been living in San Diego for years.  My folks live in Buffalo, but they are generally sane and well adjusted people, so what I get from them (and local coverage when I visit) seems pretty reasonable to me.  Same goes with the WGR call in shows I listen to on Audacy.  Any pressure put on Josh from fans seems inline with most any other major sports fan base when it comes to their star players.  At least Buffalo loves their guys like family, unlike some other cities that are quick to eat their own.

yeah, this isn't Philly here.  Booing santa clause and draft picks.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Every starting QB is under immense pressure.  This isn’t new, nor unique to Buffalo.

I think this is true, but Palmer made some points about Josh being hailed as "The One That was Promised" "The Saviour" etc etc that takes fandom to a next level.  Buffalo does have some unique aspects to fandom having these passionate, focused fans vs larger cities with 4 or even 5 professional sports franchises. 

The crowds at the airport at 2 or 3 am in the bitter cold

The selfie of Josh hanging up in the Art Museum

Bills fans built a freakin' hospital wing dedicated to his grandmother etc etc. 

I think those things are kind of unique to Buffalo.   I could be wrong.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hes been groomed by his dad since a youngin to handle it. 

This, I think, is actually true and not just by training to be a responsible elite athlete, but by nature of the family's whole position in the community.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.