Raiders to Release Kenyan Drake

Gugny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34443386/source-las-vegas-raiders-plan-release-rb-kenyan-drake

HENDERSON, Nev. -- The Las Vegas Raiders plan to release veteran running back Kenyan Drake and absorb a $3.6 million salary-cap hit this year and $4.4 million in 2023 as a result.

Drake said in a phone interview with The Associated Press on Monday that general manager Dave Ziegler called him personally to let him know the team was moving on.

"He let me know how they were planning on moving forward, how really uncustomary it was for him to tell me himself, and that was just a testament to the respect he has for me as a player, and as a man,'' Drake said.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34443386/source-las-vegas-raiders-plan-release-rb-kenyan-drake

HENDERSON, Nev. -- The Las Vegas Raiders plan to release veteran running back Kenyan Drake and absorb a $3.6 million salary-cap hit this year and $4.4 million in 2023 as a result.

Drake said in a phone interview with The Associated Press on Monday that general manager Dave Ziegler called him personally to let him know the team was moving on.

"He let me know how they were planning on moving forward, how really uncustomary it was for him to tell me himself, and that was just a testament to the respect he has for me as a player, and as a man,'' Drake said.

I always thought he was solid with Miami, then he looked good in the opportunity with Arizona.  The Raiders move killed any momentum he had, but he got the pay day so it was probably worth it.  Running backs sort of have to chase cash.  

Depending on how bad the broken leg is I could see him catching on somewhere for a couple.

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I always thought he was solid with Miami, then he looked good in the opportunity with Arizona.  The Raiders move killed any momentum he had, but he got the pay day so it was probably worth it.  Running backs sort of have to chase cash.  

Depending on how bad the broken leg is I could see him catching on somewhere for a couple.

It was his ankle. With the proliferation of running backs in the league right now and the obvious move to young and inexpensive ones, I think he’ll have a tough time finding a team until an injury pops up. He should just take his money and stay in top shape waiting for that opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It was his ankle. With the proliferation of running backs in the league right now and the obvious move to young and inexpensive ones, I think he’ll have a tough time finding a team until an injury pops up. He should just take his money and stay in top shape waiting for that opportunity.

I think Arizona could be an interesting spot.  Played there before and none of those guys pop to me, and they overpaid conner imo.  If he plays this year it'll be for pennies. 

• Like (+1) 1

The GM basically telling Drake that he should be thankful for a personal phone call sounds more like DISrespect to me. Doesn’t the GM meet with every player being cut? I thought that was the thing. You get the call to meet with the GM and he tells you that you are cut. How does this GM usually cut guys? Via text?  

8 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The GM basically telling Drake that he should be thankful for a personal phone call sounds more like DISrespect to me. Doesn’t the GM meet with every player being cut? I thought that was the thing. You get the call to meet with the GM and he tells you that you are cut. How does this GM usually cut guys? Via text?  

I think the normal procedure is for the Head Coach to deliver the news to the player.

10 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Regardless of the GM meeting with every player.. making sure to tell them how much respect you have for them as you sh*tcan them sounds like BS

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Maybe via Twitter

21 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Do you remember how Thurman Thomas found out?  He found out in the news which is why he wanted to play for Mijami to get payback for the disrespect.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They are probably just making room to trade a first round pick for Taiwan Jones. Have you seen him play special teams? Freaking amazing. First ballot HOFer as a gunner. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Gugs, if where you’re going with this we should work him out, I can see the value of a workout for a just in case we lost Miss and Singletary, but I wouldn’t consider him as an add on now.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Gugs, if where you’re going with this we should work him out, I can see the value of a workout for a just in case we lost Miss and Singletary, but I wouldn’t consider him as an add on now.

Nah, I just thought it was noteworthy news and I do know that there are some (many) people here who don't think we have a solid run game.

I've been a pro-Singletary guy from day one and continue to be.  His average yards per carry speak for themselves, IMO.  I think he's been under AND misused and I'm hoping Dorsey learned what not to do from working with Daboll.  Overall, I think Daboll was a great OC, but I just think his reluctance to give Singletary the ball more was befuddling.

So, no ... I want no part of Kenyan Drake in Buffalo.  Just threw it out here for conversation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Actually, it sounds like he has little respect for Drake as a player. Bu-bye!

Ziegler told him, "We'd rather pay $8 million to have you NOT be on our team than have you suit up for us."  

I agree.  I see the respect for Drake-the-man but no respect for Drake-the-player.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.