Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The more surprising aspect for me is that Beane got a 5th for a guy on the last year of his rookie deal.  

With Saffold on a 1 year deal, I’ve always suspected the plan all along was to spend a Top 100 pick on the OL next draft, maybe even a double dip depending on how they handle the S and LB positions. 

No point in extending Cody Ford to be depth, nor would he probably have accepted a depth OL contract from us… and it sounds like we had no interest in even offering. 

with the way Bean drafts in the 1st 2 rounds (esp. the 2nd) compared to later rounds, I'd rather use a 3rd and 5th on OL :) 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but sometimes bills mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love.

The bottom line is that he swung and missed big time for a guy he coveted and traded up for. It happens to all GM's but saying 'OMG we got a 5th rounder for Ford' is a loss no matter which way you spin it give the circumstances.

No.  As a fan of the Bills for 50+ years, no.  He's the best GM this team has ever had in my opinion.

You may have another and that's fine.  The only thing that will change my mind is Brandon Beane making bad moves over and over and over.

If he does, I'll change my mind.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

at end of the day:

Beano is going to miss:  2nd round for Ford, 3rd rounder for Kelvin Benjamin come to mind

Josh is going to throw the occasional INT

our RBs are going to fumble once-in-awhile

WRs going to drop passes as well...

OL gonna jump early and hold on touchdowns - happened Saturday

DBs gonna hold on DL sacks - happened Saturday

we got 28 starts from Cody, we save about 500k in cap space(1.4M in salary gone, minus 900k in dead), got a fifth rounder back which is where Beano excels, Ford cant swing to tackle which is something the draft department now knows better how go to gauge, tihik RAS (Doyle, Brown).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cody-ford-29074/stats-valuation/

No dead cap on a trade, sorry to point out your lack of knowledge as to how the cap works.

Any other brilliant thoughts to share?

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but sometimes bills mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love.

The bottom line is that he swung and missed big time for a guy he coveted and traded up for. It happens to all GM's but saying 'OMG we got a 5th rounder for Ford' is a loss no matter which way you spin it give the circumstances.

Beane missed on Cody Ford.

Beane got impressive compensation back, considering the level of player that Ford is and what other, better guards have gotten in return.

Both things can be true. These facts are not mutually exclusive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Does anyone think Brandon Beane is sitting at his desk right now kicking himself for "wasting" a 2nd round pick on Cody Ford?

F**k no, he isn't.  He doesn't live in the past and he is smart enough to know that talent evaluators make mistakes in the NFL.  The key to thriving is to move on from your mistakes and maximize your return.

We have a top 5 NFL GM and should all be thanking our lucky stars for it.  Sorry he missed on a couple of picks/FAs -- we have the best friggin' roster in the NFL and a superstar QB that Beane hand-picked.

Carry on.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, he is. You don't think you're correct when you say that, but you are.

Pretending that geniuses don't make mistakes is butt-stupid. They do. Everyone - absolutely everyone - does. Geniuses make few enough of them that they produce excellent outcomes.

Beane has done precisely that.

No GM hits on every pick, especially in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds. But it's hard to call someone a genius just because he flipped a bust for a 5th rounder.

Not really looking to turn this thread into a a debate about Beane but I really don't see him as the messiah some think he is.  This team wins a SB that's a different story but until then it's fair to criticize some of the more questionable draft picks he's made.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not “bad” at all but nor is it “amazing.”

Off-topic but what could have been: a line with Schnowman Dawkins, Cody Ford, Mitch Morse, Wyatt Teller and Spencer Brown would’ve been the most Wild West-sounding o-line of all time.

It seems apparent enough to me that Cody Ford was not going to get another contract and they are moving on.

Sorry, but that is the reality as of today.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

No GM hits on every pick, especially in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds. But it's hard to call someone a genius just because he flipped a bust for a 5th rounder.

Not really looking to turn this thread into a a debate about Beane but I really don't see him as the messiah some think he is.  This team wins a SB that's a different story but until then it's fair to criticize some of the more questionable draft picks he's made.

troll dancing GIFHi there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

with the way Bean drafts in the 1st 2 rounds (esp. the 2nd) compared to later rounds, I'd rather use a 3rd and 5th on OL :) 

He drafts well in the first and it's too early to know how well he will do in the 2nd.

When we know how Basham and Epenesa and eventually Cook turn out, we'll have a better sense of his record. 

In 2019 and 2018, far enough back you can have a pretty good sense of how someone will turn out, he only had one 2nd round pick. The results do not appear good, but one person is simply not a significant sample.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, eball said:

He's top 5 without question.  That's good enough for me.

Some people here require perfection (like they think they see in the mirror every morning). Always finding that one thing that went wrong and latch on for dear life. 

I’m with you, if you look at the Big Picture you will realize how fortunate we are to have him. A little hyperbole after a trade like this is to be expected. Relax people. These are very good times. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some people here require perfection (like they think they see in the mirror every morning). Always finding that one thing that went wrong and latch on for dear life. 

I’m with you, if you look at the Big Picture you will realize how fortunate we are to have him. A little hyperbole after a trade like this is to be expected. Relax people. These are very good times. 

Seriously.  We'll win the goddamn Super Bowl and some of these fuggers will B word because the confetti mix had too much red and not enough blue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  As a fan of the Bills for 50+ years, no.  He's the best GM this team has ever had in my opinion.

You may have another and that's fine.  The only thing that will change my mind is Brandon Beane making bad moves over and over and over.

If he does, I'll change my mind.

Polian was still the best GM, just like Levy was still the best HC.

I get the JA17 vs Kelly debate as well but bottom line for me as another long time Bills fan is this current group has to at least get to won SB before any of these comparisons are valid.

Get to just one SB and win it and then there's a real logical argument obviously even if this group never returns to that stage.

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

A lot more also like to troll or just don't like people who succeed in life.  It's hard to separate the differences on a message board.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I wonder if after those public comments from Dawkins, Beane didn't approach him like, "bub, do me a favor..."?

Possible though I don't think Dion needs to be told when to call someone out. He is one of the voices of this team and if he judges someone needs it he will let them have it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He drafts well in the first and it's too early to know how well he will do in the 2nd.

When we know how Basham and Epenesa and eventually Cook turn out, we'll have a better sense of his record. 

In 2019 and 2018, far enough back you can have a pretty good sense of how someone will turn out, he only had one 2nd round pick. The results do not appear good, but one person is simply not a significant sample.

2nd round seems to have yielded very little so far.  I don't think it's too early on Basham or esp. Epenesa.  Both were "pro ready" and were/are huge disappointments.  Meanwhile, later picked guys like Milano are fantastic.  I'd pick the OL in the 5th.  Just trade our 2nds. 

That said, I'm holding out hope for Cook,. and Bahsam/Epenesa to perform better given the attention Miller will get and Oliver's increasingly amazing play.  

Edited by RyanC883

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.