Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I don't think philosophically McD and Daboll saw eye to eye on offense.  Buffalo threw the ball 57% of the time last season and I can't see McD liked that imbalance.

It's why they went after an IOL who is suited toward run blocking and drafted (another) RB high.  We're going to see, but achieving offensive balance in this era is not always a good thing especially when you have an MVP candidate caliber QB.  

Idk, I think the conservative knock on McD has been pretty well put to bed the last couple of years.

and the RB drafted is more of a receiving weapon, IMO

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Idk, I think the conservative knock on McD has been pretty well put to bed the last couple of years.

and the RB drafted is more of a receiving weapon, IMO

i think this was 100% their intention, considering they tried to get mckissic (sp?).  i don't know why people keep shouting they they're leaning more towards a run game because cook was drafted.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes its obvious to those who can see straight.  They've worked Cook with the WR in camp.

i'm not saying he won't be used in the run game, but after going as hard as they did to grab a pass catching back, i have to imagine that the plan.  I also don't think they want to run more as some are assuming.  they just want to be more efficient when doing it.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i'm not saying he won't be used in the run game, but after going as hard as they did to grab a pass catching back, i have to imagine that the plan.  I also don't think they want to run more as some are assuming.  they just want to be more efficient when doing it.

McDermott just wants to not be so one dimensional.  For the first 3/4 of the season, we couldn't run at all....like at all.

We will still be one of the league leaders in passing attempts.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott just wants to not be so one dimensional.  For the first 3/4 of the season, we couldn't run at all....like at all.

We will still be one of the league leaders in passing attempts.  

did you know the bills were 7-6 at one point?

• Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You've got a lot of time on your hands...and thanks for following me around like a lost puppy.  :lol:

I've never criticized the Miller signing and won't because they needed a bona-fide pass rusher because McBeane could (EDIT: not) find one in at least 4 off-seasons.

But context is key.  Buffalo kept sinking picks and UFA dollars into that DL and still couldn't pressure with their front 4 as evidenced by the Divisional game. 

Doesn't remove the fact their top investment and best player remains Josh.  And they did very little to support him besides another highly drafted RB and some 1 year UFA deals to aging veterans.  

1)  Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis are projected to be one of the top WR duos in the NFL.  

2)  Dawson Knox is a Top 10 TE

3)  How many teams do you know that have a guy like Crowder as slot depth?

4)  McKenzie won the starting slot position.  It wasn't handed to him. 

5)  With where we are drafting now, I'm not sure how much better we could've done at addressing the skill positions than we did in taking Cook and Shakir.  For context, Chiefs took RD2 WR Skyy Moore and RD7 RB Isaiah Pacheco. 

6)  The OL is viewed by most as a middle of the pack unit, with plenty of upside.  We brought in one of the best OL coaches in the game over the offseason. 

Could some of the talent around Josh be better... sure, it always can.. But sometimes you have to trust your development and this team is full of talent and potential.  There aren't many areas where we can look at a position and simply say it's a huge issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1)  Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis are projected to be one of the top WR duos in the NFL.  

2)  Dawson Knox is a Top 10 TE

3)  How many teams do you know that have a guy like Crowder as slot depth?

4)  McKenzie won the starting slot position.  It wasn't handed to him. 

5)  With where we are drafting now, I'm not sure how much better we could've done at addressing the skill positions than we did in taking Cook and Shakir.  For context, Chiefs took RD2 WR Skyy Moore and RD7 RB Isaiah Pacheco. 

6)  The OL is viewed by most as a middle of the pack unit, with plenty of upside.  We brought in one of the best OL coaches in the game over the offseason. 

Could some of the talent around Josh be better... sure, it always can.. But sometimes you have to trust your development and this team is full of talent and potential.  There aren't many areas where we can look at a position and simply say it's a huge issue. 

Is that you Sal Cappuccino?    

44 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Also, you can add that we invested in bringing in one of the leagues best oline coaches.

I think this seems to be very underrated. This may have been the move of the offseason. Time will tell. 

A new ST coach doesn’t hurt either. 

Cody Fords comments on Kromer actually add context to when Mongo said they didn’t value OL. Everyone assumed he meant individual players, and it sounded crazy considering they’ve signed and extended several. I think he actually meant development, as it sounds like Bobby Johnson was just not a good coach, and the guy he replaced was even worse.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Cody Fords comments on Kromer actually add context to when Mongo said they didn’t value OL. Everyone assumed he meant individual players, and it sounded crazy considering they’ve signed and extended several. I think he actually meant development, as it sounds like Bobby Johnson was just not a good coach, and the guy he replaced was even worse.

OG was a first time NFL O Line coach. Color me shocked he wasn’t that good. He must have been decent tho to get hired in the same spot by Daboll who worked directly with Johnson for 2 seasons. 

With that said, we now have a top 3 O Line coach (maybe the best) who turned Bobby Hart and Cody Ford into serviceable players within weeks. It’s up from here baby 🚀 

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Mongo followed that same O line coach to the Giants. I wouldn't put much stock in anything Mongo says at this point. Did you see the crap he pulled in giants camp? He "played dead" then got up and sucker punched another player. 

I agree that Bobby Johnsons was not an effective coach for the way the Bills want to play. 

16 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Guess who is coaching Mongo in NJ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

OG was a first time NFL O Line coach. Color me shocked he wasn’t that good. He must have been decent tho to get hired in the same spot by Daboll who worked directly with Johnson for 2 seasons. 

With that said, we now have a top 3 O Line coach (maybe the best) who turned Bobby Hart and Cody Ford into serviceable players within weeks. It’s up from here baby 🚀 

Hell yes, I’m so excited to see what happens with Spencer Brown 

14 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm thinking you're just dense and deliberately missing the point now.  

Enough so Josh isn't running the ball 9 times a game like he did from Week 13 through the Division Round.  Enough so they can have more than 1 top end option at WR.  Enough to keep pace with other AFC teams they'll meet in the playoffs.    

They aren't talented enough at offensive skill positions, notably WR and TE.  

No need to be insulting.  It seems to me you want to look at draft picks as the end all of resources used to build a team.

In some way it seems you believe that Beane is not drafting as well on the offense as you would like.

Evidently Davis and Knox are not skilled enough for your expectations.

My opinion is different.  Beane has not used FA as well as he could the last few years to build a DL.

I'm of the opinion that this year he may have got the DL right and that going forward it will not need as many draft picks.

If one was to use cap money as a guide to how much "resources" are used of the offense versus defense, I believe next season will be

extremely lopsided toward the offense (especially if Knox is re-signed like I expect him to be).  I know that Poyer, Edmunds and others

on the D side of the ball need new contracts but when it comes to cap space, I expect we will see the D taking the brunt of cost savings hits.

I'm also of the opinion we will see some higher draft picks used to retool some of the O needs next year compared to the D.

I can't guarantee that, it's just what I see happening.  OL, TE, WR all have a good chance of being addressed in the draft IMO.

As to Josh running the ball, I'm pretty sure what we are seeing in camp and preseason is a good indicator that the run game will

become more of a RB situation versus a QB situation.  Josh will turn it on still but only in game winning/playoff game situations.

While it could be debated that at this specific time the D may look to overwhelm the O in resources, I believe a long-term view is much

more balanced.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.