Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He basically single-handedly lost us the Jags game last year.  Not an exaggeration, go back and look at the grades.  He gave up particularly timely pressures when the Bills needed, and were on the verge of, big plays.  And losing that game essentially cost us home field against the Chiefs.

Wanna go back further?  Anyone remember his critical penalty against the Texans in the playoffs?  That play, too, had a major impact on that season.

Drafting Ford was a mistake but they continued to mis-evaluate him year after year and it continued to bite them in the arse.  They should’ve drafted or signed a better linemen each of the last two offseasons and he shouldn’t have been on the roster and playing in critical games.  They compounded their original error with him; the entire process was flawed.  And now it’s come out that he was a dog - even if they didn’t properly evaluate his character leading up to the draft, they certainly knew what he was heading into 2021.  

And lol at his “reps” telling Beane he should be starting.  Over whom?  I can only imagine the call Beane got from his agent after the Denver game (where he committed one bad penalty and should’ve been flagged for another).  Beane wouldn’t have forgotten the Jaguars debacle; I give him credit for not cutting Ford on the spot after his agents reached out and managing instead to recoup some value.

But make no mistake, the Butterfly Effect of Cody Ford cost this team serious consequences.  

Cody Ford was the worst player on the field in that day in Jacksonville.........which took some doing with the Jags being the worst team in the league.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think we got as much as we could out of Cody the 3 years here. It was time to move on, hope he goes to Arizona, reunites with his college QB and becomes a decent starter. Wish him all the luck. We got a solid pick for him in return. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Reported to be running with the 1's in AZ.  Be funny if he makes good there and gets paid, a la Wyatt Teller.

Heads would explode like melons at a country shoot all over TBD

What is the point you are trying to make with your handwringing about the Cody Ford departure?

You made up a lie about him not playing guard in camp or preseason as a rookie to try to shoutdown the FACT that Wyatt Teller was traded because Ford having to play guard created a glut at the position.   Someone had to go.

Now you are theorizing that there is a direct comparison between trading the unproven second year Teller.........who had shown a lot of promise as a rookie.........and the well established fourth year bust Cody Ford.

Read Brandon Beane's press conference transcript..........like I said........Beane admitted that he dropped the ball.......questioned his process, that we all were able to view on Bills Embedded...........and is taking responsibility for it rather than pretending he just did everything right and it didn't work out.  

I think maybe some of you rush to defend every move Beane makes because you are people who are used to making excuses for yourself and not being accountable as a method of self preservation.

Beane is not like you..........he is a professional.

But the reality is that he came into the job as a first time GM and also VERY raw as a personnel man........he had spent more time fetching coffee in his early years in Carolina than he eventually did evaluating players with the team scouts.    He may have gotten the job because of Sean McDermott but the reason why it works so well is that he has the mental makeup to be a top executive.  A very different skillset than his Bills predecessors Whaley and Nix who were road scouts.     As an executive you need to know that the first rule of management is that it's always your fault.   He gets that.  

Instead of making up ridiculous lies and scenarios about why Beane wasn't wrong for doing something..........maybe you folks who rush in to excuse even the most obvious of errors should listen to him for a change when he tells you he WAS wrong about making a pick like Cody Ford. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Cody Ford was the worst player on the field in that day in Jacksonville.........which took some doing with the Jags being the worst team in the league.    

Hard to argue with you here. It was some missing players from injury on OL and it really showed and although the OL as a whole played poorly Ford was a bit more noticeably bad to me. 

They really gave him more time than he deserved 2nd round pick be damned imo

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

After two OL coaches giving up on him, the probability of him turning into a serviceable lineman is low. Very low

Also, the Cardinals have a bottom fourth in the league O-line. So, maybe running with the ones isn't such an impressive feat...

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just wanted to ad, I also felt like Daboll certainly didn't help with some of his play calling. Seemed like even knowing how OL was constantly struggling he still wouldn't adjust much or if at all with play calls to help the situation it looked to me

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay with Ford gone….can we NOW, finally get back to bagging on Edmunds? Let’s go people!  

It’s like herding cats! People here seem to lose focus at times. Thank goodness we have you to keep an eye on the prize! 

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay with Ford gone….can we NOW, finally get back to bagging on Edmunds? Let’s go people!  

Lol, some can get serious when it's Edmunds. Not so much with Ford since everybody was tired of him lol

4 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Wait, I thought we on to Elam to get a head start of Emdunds maybe not being here. 

Can't do Elam. He's ineligible as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

They really gave him more time than he deserved 2nd round pick be damned imo

Oh, and what must Brandon Beane do to repent for his horrible sin of giving Cody Ford too much time?

I know — he’ll build the deepest team in the league and contend for Super Bowls!

(Let me know when you can identify a GM with no duds to his name)

1 minute ago, eball said:

Oh, and what must Brandon Beane do to repent for his horrible sin of giving Cody Ford too much time?

I know — he’ll build the deepest team in the league and contend for Super Bowls!

I don't think that poster was 'taking a shot' at Beane about it. Beane makes mistakes and like I said, the thing that makes him great at his job is he recognizes it and makes moves to correct them. We can talk about mistakes made and still have a very high opinion of the people who made them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, some can get serious when it's Edmunds. Not so much with Ford since everybody was tired of him lol

BUT! When Ford turns into the next Wyatt Teller, this place will be full of comedic GOLD, I tell you! 😂 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't think that poster was 'taking a shot' at Beane about it. Beane makes mistakes and like I said, the thing that makes him great at his job is he recognizes it and makes moves to correct them. We can talk about mistakes made and still have a very high opinion of the people who made them. 

You are correct, but do we REALLY need a gazillion posts rehashing the bad pick?

Just now, eball said:

Dude it's a message board (see how that works for me also). I'm allowed to think he was given a year or so too long. Your quote comes off as snarky and puffing your chest out for some reason. I'm not Scott Law so I'd appreciate if you don't address me as such.

I find it hard for you to disagree that it was clear for the past couple years that it was unlikely Ford was going to improve much if any at all. So yes, I thought he was given at least 1 chance too many.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

After two OL coaches giving up on him, the probability of him turning into a serviceable lineman is low. Very low

To be fair, Bobby Johnson wasn’t much of a coach. But Kromer giving up on him says something.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, MWK said:

To be fair, Bobby Johnson wasn’t much of a coach. But Kromer giving up on him says something.

Kromer getting him up to speed enough to be worth a 5th round draft pick also says something. Something encouraging.   :)

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Dude it's a message board (see how that works for me also). I'm allowed to think he was given a year or so too long. Your quote comes off as snarky and puffing your chest out for some reason. I'm not Scott Law so I'd appreciate if you don't address me as such.

I find it hard for you to disagree that it was clear for the past couple years that it was unlikely Ford was going to improve much if any at all. So yes, I thought he was given at least 1 chance too many.

Typical eball, don’t pay him much mind.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Wait, I thought we on to Elam to get a head start of Emdunds maybe not being here. 

Nah, don't worry about Elam. If he doesn't work out we can just trade him for a 5th in 3 years. It'll be brilliant.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.