Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

Skimming through this entire thread, I can't tell if people are more happy we got a 5th round pick for him or just that he's gone 😅

It's not that he was good or anything (understatement, I know), it's just that you often see a good amount of fans still clinging on to the potential & hope they COULD be good, just the Bills misused/ruined them.

With Cody Ford, it appears nobody had any faith in him. Maybe it's because his poor play directly results in our beloved QB1 getting hit 🤣

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Skimming through this entire thread, I can't tell if people are more happy we got a 5th round pick for him or just that he's gone 😅

It's not that he was good or anything (understatement, I know), it's just that you often see a good amount of fans still clinging on to the potential & hope they COULD be good, just the Bills misused/ruined them.

With Cody Ford, it appears nobody had any faith in him. Maybe it's because his poor play directly results in our beloved QB1 getting hit 🤣

He basically single-handedly lost us the Jags game last year.  Not an exaggeration, go back and look at the grades.  He gave up particularly timely pressures when the Bills needed, and were on the verge of, big plays.  And losing that game essentially cost us home field against the Chiefs.

Wanna go back further?  Anyone remember his critical penalty against the Texans in the playoffs?  That play, too, had a major impact on that season.

Drafting Ford was a mistake but they continued to mis-evaluate him year after year and it continued to bite them in the arse.  They should’ve drafted or signed a better linemen each of the last two offseasons and he shouldn’t have been on the roster and playing in critical games.  They compounded their original error with him; the entire process was flawed.  And now it’s come out that he was a dog - even if they didn’t properly evaluate his character leading up to the draft, they certainly knew what he was heading into 2021.  

And lol at his “reps” telling Beane he should be starting.  Over whom?  I can only imagine the call Beane got from his agent after the Denver game (where he committed one bad penalty and should’ve been flagged for another).  Beane wouldn’t have forgotten the Jaguars debacle; I give him credit for not cutting Ford on the spot after his agents reached out and managing instead to recoup some value.

But make no mistake, the Butterfly Effect of Cody Ford cost this team serious consequences.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, HiMark said:

Sooo...If we were to have cut Ford, he would have been in the top quintile of G cuts around the league.  No one on our roster past Mancz can be put in that category.  I think we will be on the lookout for the best G cut to 53.  My $ is on old friend Jack Anderson, currently a backup on the Iggles.

Or, even crazier, we can go with 8 OL for a little while and keep an extra player, like Blackshear.  For example.

I don't think Anderson gets cut sadly. But if he does the Bills 100% should bring him back.

7 minutes ago, nemhoff said:

No, it’s not…sorry bro, but Coach pretty much nailed it.

Well, you know what they say about opinions

Cody Ford did not throw 2 interceptions in the 3rd

Cody Ford did not fumble on the Jax 37 yd line in the 4th

The Bills committed 12 penalties for 118 yds.  Cody Ford was responsible for 1 - 10 yd penalty so 11 for 108 yds did not involve Cody Ford

Sounds to me like Ford was a devoted repeat reader of his own college press clippings that heavily promoted him as a 1st round worthy selection.  Of course, the vast majority of Bills fans also believed those clippings and at the end of April 2019, were very enthusiastic about his selection.  I used the Wayback machine for for a glimpse of actual vs today’s rewritten history.

Ford continued to read his press clippings long after their relevance collapsed, whereas Bills fans currently deny that they ever would have believed any of those clippings if not for the extraordinary incompetence of the GM that has concurrently built the best roster in football.

Meanwhile, I’m real happy we have Kromer and confident he’s making lemonade.

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You were done when you insisted in @Coach Tuesday thread about Dion dishing on Ford that it was no big deal for Dawkins to criticize his teammate like that and insisting that Ford would absolutely agree that his attitude had been sh!t.   The leap on the latter was a fact-free attempt to shout down the fact that his teammate called him out.  A day later, he's dealt.   Another L for ol' Skrewball. :lol:

I was skeptical of your view initially, but after watching Beane's presser yesterday and reading between the lines, I think you are right. Beane took the blame for the draft mistake and said he'd have to go back and evaluate his processes, including assessment of player "intangibles".   

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's not like we can expect Beane to come out and say, "yeah, it was a bad pick and he turned out to be a bust."  But that's pretty much what he's saying.  It happens.

To my hearing, he came very close to that.  Stuff about how they need to look at every aspect of the draft evaluation process both physical attributes and intangibles, and figure out what needs to change, and he takes responsibility.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He basically single-handedly lost us the Jags game last year.  Not an exaggeration, go back and look at the grades.  He gave up particularly timely pressures when the Bills needed, and were on the verge of, big plays.  And losing that game essentially cost us home field against the Chiefs.

Wanna go back further?  Anyone remember his critical penalty against the Texans in the playoffs?  That play, too, had a major impact on that season.

Drafting Ford was a mistake but they continued to mis-evaluate him year after year and it continued to bite them in the arse.  They should’ve drafted or signed a better linemen each of the last two offseasons and he shouldn’t have been on the roster and playing in critical games.  They compounded their original error with him; the entire process was flawed.  And now it’s come out that he was a dog - even if they didn’t properly evaluate his character leading up to the draft, they certainly knew what he was heading into 2021.  

The coaches and front office handling of Ford really casts into doubt their "failing" forward approach on players, especially picks.

And, he's the highest drafted OLineman they've taken in 6 drafts which supports my contention that they struggle to identify and develop offensive personnel.  They nailed the Josh pick, but there is no other drafted player on that side of the ball who I'd say is a Pro Bowl caliber player.  At least not right now.    

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

They nailed the Josh pick, but there is no other drafted player on that side of the ball who I'd say is a Pro Bowl caliber player.  At least not right now. 

I'm sure glad you added the "at least not right now."

Dion Dawkins?  Gabe Davis?  Dawson Knox?  Even Singletary could easily rise to that level this season.  Folks are raving about Shakir.

Those who think being a "realistic" fan means continually critiquing Brandon Beane will really stop at nothing.   The "these guys don't know how to evaluate offense" schtick has grown tiresome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm sure glad you added the "at least not right now."

Dion Dawkins?  Gabe Davis?  Dawson Knox?  Even Singletary could easily rise to that level this season.  Folks are raving about Shakir.

Those who think being a "realistic" fan means continually critiquing Brandon Beane will really stop at nothing.   The "these guys don't know how to evaluate offense" schtick has grown tiresome.

Some would consider them already at that level from last season.

57 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The coaches and front office handling of Ford really casts into doubt their "failing" forward approach on players, especially picks.

And, he's the highest drafted OLineman they've taken in 6 drafts which supports my contention that they struggle to identify and develop offensive personnel.  They nailed the Josh pick, but there is no other drafted player on that side of the ball who I'd say is a Pro Bowl caliber player.  At least not right now.    

Drafted players - Dion Dawkins has played in a Pro Bowl and Dawson Knox is getting close to that level.  

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And lol at his “reps” telling Beane he should be starting.  Over whom?  I can only imagine the call Beane got from his agent after the Denver game (where he committed one bad penalty and should’ve been flagged for another).  Beane wouldn’t have forgotten the Jaguars debacle; I give him credit for not cutting Ford on the spot after his agents reached out and managing instead to recoup some value.

But make no mistake, the Butterfly Effect of Cody Ford cost this team serious consequences.  

I don’t think that’s the right word to describe him lol 

If you’re called a dog in football that’s praise… Everybody calls Josh Allen a dog… hes physical and competitive 

I think you’re looking for a different word

Edited by Buffalo716

In Beane's PC he mentioned early on how Ford wanted to start and "his representatives wanted to see him start as well" - and then again towards the end in response to another Ford question said "Ultimately, he wasn't going to start for us, we had kinda said this is the group we're rolling with, that decision was made ... that's why I was trying to be so patient before we did anything - to give him a chance to win that starting job"

The whole situation just gives the impression of someone who was more focused on complaining about a starting job than doing the work to earn it

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You're definitely not wrong, but you could single out plays people failed to make or completely botched for basically everyone. 

Over the course of each game (especially losses), there's a good chunk of penalties, blatantly missed opportunities, poor decisions, & failures created by many players involved.

For instance, that Jags game you mentioned... everything you said about Ford is right. But one crappy linemen, even if he was ass all game, does not mean you should lose 6 to 9 against the Urban Meyer Jaguars! 

That takes a special kind of collective screwing up, from the very top with the coaches, down to the worst turds like Ford. 

My point was a subsect of fans tend to justify, excuse or overlook these things in their head when it comes to many of these guys. Even if Zay Jones was a colossal disappointment, flipping out at hotels & a waste of a 2nd round pick, you still had plenty of fans saying he just got a raw deal, QB play was inadequate, OC wasn't good, etc. etc. etc.

Tyrod could throw for 65 yards against the Patriots or 57 yards in a game against the Saints... or go 3 years leading the league's 32nd-30th ranked offense, or have only 3 wins total in games where the Bills fell behind by even A SINGLE POINT at any time during the 4th quarter, or be completely incapable of throwing for 300 yards...... *deep breath*....... and still after 3 years think he was a franchise guy.

But Cody Ford, well we all know he sucked, but the fact there isn't that subsect of people clinging to the fact he was a 2nd round guy & still excusing it really points out just how awful he had to have been🤣

Arizona is so poorly managed from a personnel standpoint. The fact Keim is still GM is laughable. No surprise they traded a 1st for another WR and then went TE to force feed "weapons" to Murray. And now here they are with Cody Ford plugging into the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Reported to be running with the 1's in AZ.  Be funny if he makes good there and gets paid, a la Wyatt Teller.

Heads would explode like melons at a country shoot all over TBD

After two OL coaches giving up on him, the probability of him turning into a serviceable lineman is low. Very low

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.