Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, it really doesn't.  I can't figure if you willfully misunderstand what is being discussed.

I'm saying (over and over) that, given the circumstances under which he was picked versus what they needed and was available (cost) and what they ultimately got out of for him (return), your claim that this is Beane "at his best" is incredibly weak.

It's your lame take that I take issue with--I've made that clear several times, your attempts to ignore that and make it about evisceration and torture and now "public apologize" not withstanding.

I can't make this simpler for you.

I really don’t want to believe you’re this obtuse but you keep giving me no other option. 

BEANE SCREWED UP THE PICK. We’ve all admitted it. What do you want him to do about it? He did the best he could, which is more than anyone would have predicted at the end of last season. That’s a win, regardless of how much you want to keep going back to how bad the pick was. 

Grow up, man. 

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Mr. WEO will only be happy when the Bills admit their perpetual inferiority to the Pats, fold the franchise, let Kraft select the new owner, and have that owner build a new stadium surrounded by massage parlors who employ women who “aren’t slaves”.  If this whole Cody Ford thing is a means to that end, then by all means.

Mentioning WEO.. in a thread where I dont see his name is just hinky. Please restate your comment to something repliable.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I really don’t want to believe you’re this obtuse but you keep giving me no other option. 

BEANE SCREWED UP THE PICK. We’ve all admitted it. What do you want him to do about it? He did the best he could, which is more than anyone would have predicted at the end of last season. That’s a win, regardless of how much you want to keep going back to how bad the pick was. 

Grow up, man. 

In fact, he was "at his best".....

You had the option of not posting that gem......just saying.

5 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Who are you calling serviceable? It would be wild if Hart was a serviceable guard. Perhaps he will be? Who knows. But I know he is not a serviceable tackle. Sure, he has played tackle, but he has never looked serviceable. 

I thought Hart looked pretty solid this preseason, but he played against mainly 2nd stringers. I'm hoping that Kromer's scheme may suit his strengths better.

I feel ok with Hart and Quessenberry as our backup tackles considering Josh survived a season of Cody Ford at right tackle.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

In fact, he was "at his best".....

You had the option of not posting that gem......just saying.

You haven’t said a damn thing in this thread. You’ve just harped on what a bad draft pick it was, which everyone already knew. Hence my questions about what you want Beane to do about it, which you STILL haven’t answered. 

58 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't think nobody thought you'd be throwing out double negatives.

Back in my early days as a Supervisor one of the staff told me "you don't gotta be telling me I don't don't gotta be doing that" ..I was stymied.

Who knew experience with double negatives would help me as a Bills fan.

1 minute ago, eball said:

You haven’t said a damn thing in this thread. You’ve just harped on what a bad draft pick it was, which everyone already knew. Hence my questions about what you want Beane to do about it, which you STILL haven’t answered. 

he doesn't need to do anything about it--other than what he did.  No torture, no evisceration, decapitation, no emasculation, castration, fenestration, penetration.

But also, no slobbering genuflection for scraping something out of a bad decision.  

Is it finally clear?  

• Like (+1) 1

I attended the second training camp. Early on the OL we’re all in one area of the EZ talking in preparation for start of training. Cody was standing all alone about 15 yards away just staring off. I had binoculars and could see on his face questioning himself about being there. It was actually quite sad. I hope a change a scenery helps him out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he doesn't need to do anything about it--other than what he did.  No torture, no evisceration, decapitation, no emasculation, castration, fenestration, penetration.

But also, no slobbering genuflection for scraping something out of a bad decision.  

Is it finally clear?  

What’s clear is that you feel some sort of weird obligation to tell fans they shouldn’t be happy about their GM doing good things. 

The Ford Report bows in the general direction of McBeane.  The Jagoffs game last year sealed Ford's fate.  Although he redeemed himself somewhat in the games he played after that, he never fully recovered.  Ford was weak at the point of attack when blocking straight ahead.  He lacked leverage and push, never really making the second level.  What became clear from watching the tape is that he was most effective when pulling and trapping.  He could block when on the move laterally, but straight ahead, not so much.  His pass blocking in the Jagoffs game also left a lot to be desired.  They sent exotic blitzes at him that clearly confused him.  He kept blocking the wrong man on combo blocks, and was unable to slide to the correct player, instead watching that player go through the hole where Ford was supposed to be, on the way to abuse JA17.  His pass blocking wasn't nearly as bad in the games that followed, but it was clearly not enough.  Good luck to Cody Ford, but we are stronger without him.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  As a fan of the Bills for 50+ years, no.  He's the best GM this team has ever had in my opinion.

You may have another and that's fine.  The only thing that will change my mind is Brandon Beane making bad moves over and over and over.

If he does, I'll change my mind.

As another 50+ year Bills fan, I'm not sure Beane's the very best Bills GM ever.  Bill Polian comes to mind.  

But in a long history of bad GMs, Beane does shine.  Whatever anyone thinks of the Cody Ford pick, Beane has made far more good moves than bad.  Beane inherited a weak roster and fairly quickly transformed it into one the best rosters in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 2

These are HOFer Bill Polian's picks as Bills GM. Every GM has his share of misses. Note the misses in bold among the 1st 5 picks. 

Buffalo Bills - 1992 Draft Results
Round    Overall    Player    Position    School
1    27    John Fina    T    Arizona
2    55    James Patton    NT    Texas
3    83    Keith Goganious    LB    Penn State
4    111    Frank Kmet    --    Purdue
5    139    Matt Darby    DB    UCLA
6    167    Nate Turner    TE    Nebraska
7    195    Kurt Schulz    DB    Eastern Washington
8    223    Leonard Humprhries    CB    Penn State
9    251    Chris Walsh    WR    Stanford
10    279    Barry Rose    WR    Wisconsin - Stevens Point
11    307    Vince Marrow    TE    Toledo
12    355    Matt Rodgers    --    Iowa
Buffalo Bills - 1991 Draft Results
1    26    Henry Jones    DB    Illinois
2    54    Phil Hansen    DE    North Dakota State
3    82    Darryl Wren    DB    Pittsburg State
5    138    Shawn Wilbourn    --    Long Beach State
6    166    Millard Hamilton    WR    Clark Atlanta
7    194    Amir Rasul    --    Florida A&M
8    222    Brad Lamb    WR    Anderson (IN)
9    249    Mark Maddox    LB    Northern Michigan
10    277    Tony DeLorenzo    --    New Mexico State
11    305    Dean Kirkland    --    Washington
12    333    Stephen Clark    --    Texas
Buffalo Bills - 1990 Draft Results
1    16    James Williams    DB    Fresno State
2    42    Carwell Gardner    FB    Louisville
3    69    Glenn Parker    T    Arizona
4    100    Eddie Fuller    RB    LSU
6    154    John Nies    P    Arizona
7    166    Brent Griffith    G    Minnesota-Duluth
7    170    Brent Collins    --    Carson-Newman
7    181    Fred DeRiggi    NT    Syracuse
8    208    Marvcus Patton    LB    UCLA
9    238    Clarkston Hines    --    Duke
10    265    Mike Lodish    DT    UCLA
11    292    Al Edwards    WR    Northwestern State - Louisiana
Buffalo Bills - 1989 Draft Results
3    82    Don Beebe    WR    Chadron State
4    109    John Kolesar    --    Michigan
5    137    Michael Andrews    --    Alcorn State
6    164    Sean Doctor    --    Marshall
7    173    Brian Jordan    DB    Richmond
7    193    Chris Hale    DB    USC
9    249    Pat Rabold    --    Wyoming
10    276    Carlo Cheattom    --    Auburn
11    305    Richard Harvey    LB    Tulane
12    332    Derrell Marshall    --    USC
Brett Young    --    Oregon
Buffalo Bills - 1988 Draft Results
2    40    Thurman Thomas    RB    Oklahoma State
3    65    Bernard Ford    WR    Central Florida
5    123    Zeke Gadson    --    Pittsburgh
5    135    Kirk Roach    --    Western Carolina
6    150    Dan Murray    LB    East Stroudsburg
7    177    Tim Borcky    --    Memphis
7    184    Bo Wright    --    Alabama
8    204    John Hagy    DB    Texas
8    213    Jeff Wright    NT    Central Missouri State
9    235    Carlton Bailey    LB    North Carolina
10    262    Martin Mayhew    DB    Florida State
11    289    Pete Curkendall    --    Penn State
12    309    John Driscoll    --    New Hampshire
12    316    Tom Erlandson Jr.    LB    Washington
Buffalo Bills - 1987 Draft Results
1    8    Shane Conlan    LB    Penn State
2    29    Nate Odomes    DB    Wisconsin
2    33    Roland Mitchell    DB    Texas Tech
3    60    David Brandon    LB    Memphis
3    78    Jamie Mueller    RB    Benedictine
4    109    Leon Seals    DE    Jackson State
7    171    Kerry Porter    RB    Washington State
8    209    Bruce Mesner    NT    Maryland
9    227    Keith McKeller    TE    Jacksonville State
11    283    Howard Ballard    T    Alabama A&M
12    311    Joe McGrail    NT    Delaware
Buffalo Bills - 1986 Draft Results
1    16    Ronnie Harmon    RB    Iowa
1    20    Will Wolford    T    Vanderbilt
3    77    Leonard Burton    C    South Carolina
5    111    Carl Byrum    RB    Mississippi Valley State
7    168    Bob Williams    --    Penn State
7    178    Mark Pike    DE    Georgia Tech
7    180    Butch Rolle    TE    Michigan State
8    202    Tony Furjanic    LB    Notre Dame
9    222    Reggie Bynum    WR    Oregon State
10    251    Guy Teafatiller    DT    Illinois
11    278    Tony Garbarczyk    DE    Wake Forest
11    282    Billy Witt    DE    North Alabama
12    313    Brian McClure    QB    Bowling Green State
12    331    Derek Christian    --    West Virginia

• Like (+1) 1

Based on some of the information that's come out about Ford's mental makeup in recent days, it seems that this is one of very few cases where Beane and the scouting staff failed to properly vet a prospect's character. I'm a big believer in the football character archetype he looks for. I think it is an underrated reason for our overall roster from top to bottom being so strong. When players fail here, it isn't for lack of character or trying. Even the ones that don't quite pass muster as football players are still able to contribute because they care about the game and give their best effort. Having an entire team of people like that counts for something. Ford apparently didn't fit in with that crowd. He was lazy, unreceptive to criticism, entitled, weak in the face of adversity. I think Ford getting traded now is more a signal of the type of person they realized he is than a signal of how they see him as a football player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I thought Hart looked pretty solid this preseason, but he played against mainly 2nd stringers. I'm hoping that Kromer's scheme may suit his strengths better.

I feel ok with Hart and Quessenberry as our backup tackles considering Josh survived a season of Cody Ford at right tackle.

Oofta. Well amigo, thank makes one of us. Bobby Hart suddenly turning the corner in 2022 and becoming competent at tackle is beyond what I can bring myself to believe. If he's called upon during game day, I hope I'm dead wrong. 

Just now, NickelCity said:

Oofta. Well amigo, thank makes one of us. Bobby Hart suddenly turning the corner in 2022 and becoming competent at tackle is beyond what I can bring myself to believe. If he's called upon during game day, I hope I'm dead wrong. 

I recommend watching the Broncos tape. It doesn't lie. #68 was one of the Bills better OL, playing LT and LG and tackle-eligible in jumbos. I don't quite believe it myself, but his best reps were at LT.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Based on some of the information that's come out about Ford's mental makeup in recent days, it seems that this is one of very few cases where Beane and the scouting staff failed to properly vet a prospect's character. I'm a big believer in the football character archetype he looks for. I think it is an underrated reason for our overall roster from top to bottom being so strong. When players fail here, it isn't for lack of character or trying. Even the ones that don't quite pass muster as football players are still able to contribute because they care about the game and give their best effort. Having an entire team of people like that counts for something. Ford apparently didn't fit in with that crowd. He was lazy, unreceptive to criticism, entitled, weak in the face of adversity. I think Ford getting traded now is more a signal of the type of person they realized he is than a signal of how they see him as a football player.

ouch...

9 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I recommend watching the Broncos tape. It doesn't lie. #68 was one of the Bills better OL, playing LT and LG and tackle-eligible in jumbos. I don't quite believe it myself, but his best reps were at LT.

🤯

8 hours ago, TheProcess said:

For as great as Beane has been, second round selection success has been rough. Can’t hit on them all of course. Here’s hoping Epenesa and Cook can buck that trend. I’m optimistic on Cook. Not super confident on Epenesa, but we’ll see how he does under Von’s tutelage.  

Don’t forget Zay Jones - 2nd round pick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.