Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am not the one calling Beane a “genius wizard God-man” - he’s a very good GM.  Period.  He ain’t the best; he’s far from the worst.  That’s ok and maybe we should just accept it.

Tell me who you think is the best GM so I can take a look at their impeccable draft history…

By the way… I don’t think Beane is perfect by any means… the Ford pick wouldn’t even be in his top 3 F ups.., ( Star contract , trading for Benjamin trading Teller..)

But if the end result is him putting together a championship team than his individual mistakes along the way won’t mean squat…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

No GM hits on every pick, especially in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds. But it's hard to call someone a genius just because he flipped a bust for a 5th rounder.

Not really looking to turn this thread into a a debate about Beane but I really don't see him as the messiah some think he is.  This team wins a SB that's a different story but until then it's fair to criticize some of the more questionable draft picks he's made.

Well, yes, it's impossible to call someone a genius because of a minor move like that one. But the guy you were replying to when you made that statement wasn't doing that. You were (at least to him) throwing up a straw man.

It's always fair to criticize picks, wrong or right, but you'll be criticized for some of those criticisms sometimes with very good reason.

Messiah? No. Absolutely terrific GM overall? Um, yeah. The GM's main responsibility is to build a terrific roster. Beane has done that. Without question. It's not a mistake he generally falls somewhere in the top three or so on most GM lists these days.

Hell, you can find lists where he's #1 these days. When was the last time that happened with a Bills GM?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-bills-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-rams-les-snead-top-the-

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-general-manager-rankings-2021/1hfg2twob1m7l1ij24pbqwnwrw

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-gms-2022

He was executive of the year, voted on by his peers, in 2020.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-awards-2020-chiefs-browns-bills/n3zug71hkf0h1oemcc1v9k6ij

We're extremely fortunate to have him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

2nd round seems to have yielded very little so far.  I don't think it's too early on Basham or esp. Epenesa.  Both were "pro ready" and were/are huge disappointments.  Meanwhile, later picked guys like Milano are fantastic.  I'd pick the OL in the 5th.  Just trade our 2nds. 

That said, I'm holding out hope for Cook,. and Bahsam/Epenesa to perform better given the attention Miller will get and Oliver's increasingly amazing play.  

If you don't think it's too early on Basham and Epenesa, you're kidding yourself. This early, you're guessing.

Unless a guy has already been terrific or is off the team, it takes a minimum of three years to judge a guy.

Yeah, plenty jump the gun, and those folks are wrong a much much higher percentage of the time than those who correctly understand that very often these things take time.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Polian was still the best GM, just like Levy was still the best HC.

I get the JA17 vs Kelly debate as well but bottom line for me as another long time Bills fan is this current group has to at least get to won SB before any of these comparisons are valid.

Get to just one SB and win it and then there's a real logical argument obviously even if this group never returns to that stage.

So they have to go to the Super Bowl and win it not even just get there in order to be compared to polian and levy 

OK……

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess it is good to get some return, but Cody Ford started out as a 2nd round pick, and didn't we even trade up for him?

I don't think you get to claim a "W" if you buy a $5k state of the art TV, find out that key features don't work correctly, alternate between sending it for repairs or using it without those key features, and then, just when it appears it might finally work correctly, you sell it for $500 on Facebook Marketplace.

I mean, yea! you for getting some return for it but...

It was sunk cost. The pick wasn’t a win. Trading up to acquire him wasn’t a win. Getting a 5th round pick back for him was a win. All of those things are true. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but sometimes bills mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love.

The bottom line is that he swung and missed big time for a guy he coveted and traded up for. It happens to all GM's but saying 'OMG we got a 5th rounder for Ford' is a loss no matter which way you spin it give the circumstances.

“Bills Mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love”….. why does the mafia NEED to tap the brakes.  What will happen if they don’t?  Please explain.  

the bottom line is that most of your posts suck.  

the other bottom line is that Beane got a 5th round pick for a player that you and mostly everyone else wanted to cut…. And get nothing.  You can’t go back in time….stop living in the past.  Concentrate on the mfing present.  It’s glorious 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

And if Wyatt makes endless Pro Bowls and wins nothing but we win a Super Bowl in next few years it won't matter.

Sure.  I'm not condemning Beane, who I think has done a great job.  It's just one bad trade.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you don't think it's too early on Basham and Epenesa, you're wrong. This early, you're guessing.

Unless a guy has already been terrific or is off the team, it takes a minimum of three years to judge a guy.

Yeah, plenty jump the gun, and those folks are wrong a much much higher percentage of the time than those who correctly understand that plenty very often these things take time.

I understand it takes time, but Basham who is what, 24, was drafted due to being a 4 year starter.  He showed nothing last year, Creed Humphry, taken by KC in the 2nd, was a 1st team All-Pro I believe.  AJ has shown nothing since he has been here for 2 seasons now.   Both have the Bean 2nd round curse, that is hopefully undone by Cook.  I hope I'm wrong, and both could put up #'s this year due to Miller's presence, but I don't think either have shown the talent level of Groot for example.  

If you are a 1st-2nd round pick, you really need to show something in your first 2 years.  

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was sunk cost. The pick wasn’t a win. Trading up to acquire him wasn’t a win. Getting a 5th round pick back for him was a win. All of those things are true. 

this

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, marck said:

No dead cap on a trade, sorry to point out your lack of knowledge as to how the cap works.

as a matter of fact, yes, but that would require a grasp of facts and reading comprehension skills, keep the job...IF you have one

24 minutes ago, marck said:

Any other brilliant thoughts to share?

image.thumb.png.4d960044d0af2a9959a8e65f03e94f75.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Utah John said:

And we traded Wyatt Teller so we could keep Ford.  That will rankle for years to come.

Come on John.  Teller took a long time to develop. We gave him time, just not enough. Plus, Teller is not a great pass blocker. He's unquestionably a fantastic run blocker. Would he even fit on the Bills today?

Likewise, Cody Ford might be a very serviceable run blocking guard for the Cards or someone else. Honestly, neither of these two guys are a fit on the Bills right now. If we had Teller back, we'd all be calling him a turnstile and a bust. But we don't have either now, and let's just leave it at that.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I understand it takes time, but Basham who is what, 24, was drafted due to being a 4 year starter.  He showed nothing last year, Creed Humphry, taken by KC in the 2nd, was a 1st team All-Pro I believe.  AJ has shown nothing since he has been here for 2 seasons now.   Both have the Bean 2nd round curse, that is hopefully undone by Cook.  I hope I'm wrong, and both could put up #'s this year due to Miller's presence, but I don't think either have shown the talent level of Groot for example.  

If you are a 1st-2nd round pick, you really need to show something in your first 2 years.  

this

You say you understand it takes time.

Thinking you can judge now shows you may understand intellectually but you haven't internalized this truth.

And "showed nothing" is just nonsense, for both of those guys. They've showed, though certainly not enough yet. But it's early, most particularly for Basham.

There is no 2nd round curse except in your mind. In a few years it might possibly become a thing. In a few years, who knows, maybe. Right now it makes no sense.

Groot was better. You'd generally expect that for a first rounder, but because one guy is good early does absolutely nothing to show that another guy drafted lower and will be a bad pick.

It could go either way.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Could you provide a link? I Googled and can't seem to find this article.

It's subscription - The Athletic.  Was discussed here 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Having a guy who can at least be serviceable at guard and tackle is highly valuable and may mean that we can keep an extra D-lineman active.

Who are you calling serviceable? It would be wild if Hart was a serviceable guard. Perhaps he will be? Who knows. But I know he is not a serviceable tackle. Sure, he has played tackle, but he has never looked serviceable. 

54 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess it is good to get some return, but Cody Ford started out as a 2nd round pick, and didn't we even trade up for him?

I don't think you get to claim a "W" if you buy a $5k state of the art TV, find out that key features don't work correctly, alternate between sending it for repairs or using it without those key features, and then, just when it appears it might finally work correctly, you sell it for $500 on Facebook Marketplace.

I mean, yea! you for getting some return for it but...

Here's the problem with your analogy  Typically when you buy a $5k high end TV, you expect it to work perfectly.  When drafting players, even high draft picks, many don't work out at all and the career is often short.  How's Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen look these days.  Even Mayfield is on his 2nd team.  Just as an FYI, the average career length of a 2nd round pick is 52 games, just over 3 seasons.

Many of the "TV's" in the NFL are dead on arrival or don't last very long at all, it's basically hit or miss and have no idea no matter how closely you check it out no idea if you're getting a good one.   So basically, the Bills got the life expectancy out of Ford.  You now have an old TV that's out of warranty, most TV's this old aren't even in workable fashion anymore, but the Bills cleaned it up, got it working and as you said sold it for $500 on Facebook, when most everyone else with similar TV's are dropping them off at thrift stores. 

That's better than most are doing with the TV's so it still can be viewed as a win or at least viewed as something few other are able to do.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.