Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

55 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Still trying to figure out how we manage to keep 11 guys in the secondary, when historically it's been 9:

Hyde, Poyer, Tre, Taron, Dane, Elam, Benford, Neal, Johnson, Hamlin, and Lewis.  

I want to see us keep all 11, don't see it happening though.  With Lewis cross training at S, wonder if that points to:

1. Either promoting his trade value OR

2. Johnson (last yr on contract) or Hamlin (I think better long term than Johnson) is maybe on the move

Don't worry, we can get Blackshear to play CB or S.  

at end of the day:

Beano is going to miss:  2nd round for Ford, 3rd rounder for Kelvin Benjamin come to mind

Josh is going to throw the occasional INT

our RBs are going to fumble once-in-awhile

WRs going to drop passes as well...

OL gonna jump early and hold on touchdowns - happened Saturday

DBs gonna hold on DL sacks - happened Saturday

we got 28 starts from Cody, we save about 500k in cap space(1.4M in salary gone, minus 900k in dead), got a fifth rounder back which is where Beano excels, Ford cant swing to tackle which is something the draft department now knows better how go to gauge, tihik RAS (Doyle, Brown).

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/cody-ford-29074/stats-valuation/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

As someone on Twitter said:

Beane just got the same round draft pick in return for Cody Ford that the Patriots got for Pro Bowl lever player Shaq Mason.

Not bad.

Yeah but sometimes bills mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love.

The bottom line is that he swung and missed big time for a guy he coveted and traded up for. It happens to all GM's but saying 'OMG we got a 5th rounder for Ford' is a loss no matter which way you spin it give the circumstances.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t mind being in the minority.  I’m responding to the folks proclaiming Beane a “wizard” for getting a 5th rounder for Ford.  If you think that’s the “very big majority” consensus, that’s great for you.

Come on, man. You're a good poster, but it's very obvious he wasn't specifically referring to this trade only when he referred to Beane as a wizard. Some may have been, but he wasn't. Bean has been sensational. That's absolutely a very big majority consensus. As it should be.

Not perfect, nobody is, but terrific, absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but sometimes bills mafia needs to tap the brakes on the over the top Beane love.

The bottom line is that he swung and missed big time for a guy he coveted and traded up for. It happens to all GM's but saying 'OMG we got a 5th rounder for Ford' is a loss no matter which way you spin it give the circumstances.

No, it just isn't.

Drafting him that high in the first place certainly appears to have been a major mistake. Getting a 5th for the player with what we know now is a good move. 

Those are two separate moves. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane traded UP in the 2019 draft to pick Ford, with DK Metcalf still on the board.  Beane then traded away Wyatt Teller in part because of Ford’s presence on the roster.  

Andy Reid passed on him to for Mecole Hardman.

I'm not even sure how good DK is. 

55 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh Allen is “amazing.”  Beane is a very good GM who has made boatloads of mistakes, Ford being one that definitely stands out.

Boogie will go down as his worst pick if he isn't legit this season 

Considering his age, his 2nd RD pick status after we picked a DE in RD 1 - He really needs to be good.  

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is an interesting move considering how well Ford has performed in Camp/preseason and all the hype about Kromer being the change that was needed to get him to finally perform up to his potential.

With that said, it proves that camp/preseason doesn't mean much which is why I also expect more similar moves with guys like Moss and/or Epenesa being dangled as trade bait if similar draft picks are being offered in return.

Why does it have to be one or the other?  Kromer seems to have improved his play.  I think Ford's attitude, that we learned recently,

shown the Bills do not have him in their future plans.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t mind being in the minority.  I’m responding to the folks proclaiming Beane a “wizard” for getting a 5th rounder for Ford.  If you think that’s the “very big majority” consensus, that’s great for you.

It was a bust pick by Beane.  There is no arguing that point.  He got a 5th for him and saved a few $s.

Is that bad, a 5th?  IF you were a GM or Coach (even on a Tuesday) would you have given a 4th?

I'll hang up and listen.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yes he's such a genius that he traded up for this guy and spent a 2nd round pick only to trade him a few years later for a 5th rounder.

Yeah, he is. You don't think you're correct when you say that, but you are.

Pretending that geniuses don't make mistakes is butt-stupid. They do. Everyone - absolutely everyone - does. Geniuses make few enough of them that they produce excellent outcomes.

Beane has done precisely that.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Top of market = finally a couple of quarters of semi-good tape on him but as you mentioned, on Cook’s long run Ford easily should’ve been flagged for an arm hold and he also got flagged for a hands to the face.  He’s a terrible football player and apparently had few friends in the locker room or the organization.

Yeah, Dion is typically positive about his teammates so his remarks in that Athletic article struck me as (by Dawkins standards) practically bus-hurling, even though superficially they were complimentary.  It's just that if you're complimenting a guy for being coachable and having a good attitude now, you're pretty much acknowledging that he wasn't those things before.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This should be a lesson for everyone, including me. This is how the league works. Remember how we heard that Ford was having a good camp? The team was leaking good news to reporters, in anticipation of setting up a trade.

Is Moss next? They seem to be showcasing him and may just want to hold Blackshear

Edited by VaMilBill

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Why does it have to be one or the other?  Kromer seems to have improved his play.  I think Ford's attitude, that we learned recently,

shown the Bills do not have him in their future plans.

It was a bust pick by Beane.  There is no arguing that point.  He got a 5th for him and saved a few $s.

Is that bad, a 5th?  IF you were a GM or Coach (even on a Tuesday) would you have given a 4th?

I'll hang up and listen.

It’s not “bad” at all but nor is it “amazing.”

Off-topic but what could have been: a line with Schnowman Dawkins, Cody Ford, Mitch Morse, Wyatt Teller and Spencer Brown would’ve been the most Wild West-sounding o-line of all time.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not “bad” at all but nor is it “amazing.”

Off-topic but what could have been: a line with Schnowman Dawkins, Cody Ford, Mitch Morse, Wyatt Teller and Spencer Brown would’ve been the most Wild West-sounding o-line of all time.

Not amazing? OK, fair enough, I suppose. A very nice move, though, IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.