Cody Ford to Arizona

aristocrat

Just now, LeGOATski said:

This isn't "robbery"

The Bills spent an early 2nd round pick on him. Overall, this was a loss. But that's how it goes sometimes in the NFL. They can't all be success stories.

Most have forgotten that he started 15 games as a rookie. At one time he was considered promising...so the other lesson is dont bank too much on one year wonders or a few preseason game wonders for that matter. Hopefully this is not where Spencer Brown winds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

For as great as Beane has been, second round selection success has been rough. Can’t hit on them all of course. Here’s hoping Epenesa and Cook can buck that trend. I’m optimistic on Cook. Not super confident on Epenesa, but we’ll see how he does under Von’s tutelage.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Disappointing return for a 2nd round pick.

Missing the point.  The pick was bad and/or Ford didn't have the right attitude.  Getting a 5th rounder for a guy you may have been cutting -- and certainly weren't signing to a 2nd contract -- is what good GMs do.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This isn't "robbery"

The Bills spent an early 2nd round pick on him. Overall, this was a loss. But that's how it goes sometimes in the NFL. They can't all be success stories.

But then you get guys like Bates - you can miss on the occasional early RD pick if you are nailing later ones.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Disappointing return for a 2nd round pick.

Can't all be hits.  I think its ok considering he has like 30 starts with Buffalo and has mostly been really lousy. 

Pending UFA next year, and likely wouldn't have factored into a compensatory pick formula anyway, so a 5th round pick to me reads as a steal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane continues to do good work.  He acquires a surplus of decent players (better than many teams have) and flips them for draft picks.  When the team continues to draft at the end of each round, having some extra picks in order to move up can be important.  I would not be surprised if he moves someone from the d-line also.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalosouth said:

Brandon Beane needs the GM version of a turnover chain. Getting picks for guts on their way out. Elite Level GM'ing. In all seriousness good luck to Cody Ford.

It's Beane's version of getting comp picks

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Those comparing his 2nd round draft position to a 5th round pick in the trade might not be wrong, but you’re definitely looking at it differently than I am. 

Not all picks work out. Some are busts. In my opinion, CF was a bust. It happens. But to get anything other than a 7th round pick three years from now is incredible. In my humble, often questionable, opinion. 

• Agree 8

9 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Must like Doyle or Hart's ability to kick inside at G.

Ford looked improved, but is not the athletic type that Kromer and the running scheme are changing to.

Agreed.  I think Hart is making the team.  Seems like they’re going to ask the guards to move a little more this year.  Glad Ford got his fresh start, and glad that we got something for him.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.