Will the Browns regret it … Mayfield named as starter in Carolina

BuffaloBill

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In hindsight, trading a decent qb for a sex offender might be a mistake. But if you take the sex offender part out, Watson is was a borderline top 5 qb and Baker is an average nfl starter. 

Fixed

• Like (+1) 1

In the 2018 draft, Mayfield was my guy. That's who I wanted us to draft leading up to it. I thought he processed well, was accurate to all levels of the field, and he had that chip on his shoulder. I'm beyond happy we have Allen instead. Hopefully, the situation in Cleveland has caused him to do some real introspection and he grows from it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has the best year of his career this season in Carolina. Will he ever be elite? I doubt it. I do think he could play himself into the upper half of QB's in the league though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Heaven Forbid! We all knew he reached his apex in college. Been completely downhill since. 
Lamar & Josh. Period. So much hype for that class. So little to show, sans Allen & Jackson

Not completely downhill. Don't forget, the Browns were 1-31 in the 2 seasons before he got there. 

30-30 as a starter, 1-1 in the playoffs.

I expect Baker to play pretty well. He was hurt last year. Prior, he displayed some positive signs for a young QB and led them to the playoffs. He has a massive chip on his shoulder. Cleveland did not want to find themselves at the end of a contract while not knowing how long or even if they wanted to extend. What if he played decent and takes you to the playoffs again? Do you hitch your wagon even if you aren't 110% sure? You know on Bakers side he would be asking for a mint. Cleveland opted to spend excessive money for a player with the skills they 110% felt were high enough despite the baggage. That's what this was all about. In the end, as much as people hate all that has happened with Watson if he takes Cleveland to a Super Bowl the events over the last year become a footnote. Sad, but that is the state of sports worship. Personally, I think both teams will likely come away fairly happy. That is also a possible outcome in this.  

He's been hurt. I think he's a very good QB - he almost beat KC in the playoffs a few years back.

I think he's still going to do really well. I think the Browns already regret it. I feel pretty bad for Browns fans.  They were close to making the kind of "transition to contender" progression that we had....but they might be back to square 1 now.

15 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-name-baker-mayfield-as-starting-quarterback-for-2022-season

Looks like Darnold’s NFL career is on the downslope.  Will be interesting to see in Mayfield plays up to his draft hype and potential in a different setting.  Odds are certainly against him.

Honestly, I am rooting for Baker more than any non Bill this season. People talk about Tyrod not getting a fair shake and maybe that’s true? Both QBs helped their franchises break the longest current playoff drought at the time, but also were carried by a strong team around them. Baker showed up in the post-season though and was a better QB who IMO hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. Regardless, I think both fans should be thankful for each of them. 

What went down in Cleveland was absolutely sickening and I hope Baker tears up the NFC. I’ve always loved his passion and I thought he was the perfect QB for the Browns. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

I hope for one that every time Mayfield goes into the Browns stadium he smokes them & i hope it's while Watson is playing that entire scenario just stunk the way they handled it then getting behind a guy like Watson & paying him that kind of cash to be a POS go figure ...

Maybe the Browns will regret moving on from Mayfield, but the bottom line is that if I were the Browns GM, his body of work didn't justify signing him to the kind of long-term contract that he was looking for.  I think Mayfield probably has a long-run career in the NFL as a broke man's answer to Ryan Tannehill.  If that's his ceiling, it's hard to fault the Browns for moving on even if it's very easy to fault them for moving on to Deshaun Watson specifically.

In other words, I think the Browns are likely to regret giving up assets for Watson but unlikely to regret parting ways with Mayfield.

23 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Independent of the Watson decision, I actually applaud the Browns for recognizing that Baker was never going to be more than a middle tier QB and cutting bait before they just up and gave him a second contract. 

That's some actual strategic level thinking, and also realizing that despite his #1 draft status, that once you have the guy in the building, he's essentially a sunk cost and you don't waste time and energy throwing good money after bad

Very good point. My worry with Josh back when he was drafted was not that he'd be a bust, but just a "good" QB, like so many B level long lasting starting QBs in the league. Hard to get rid of them as they are good players, but they are not elite top tier either. The limbo. Thankfully for us Bills fans, Josh has been pure gold from the get go and always improving. With the salary cap and how QBs get paid, unless Mayfield becomes top tier, the Browns did the right thing IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.