Will the Browns regret it … Mayfield named as starter in Carolina

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

wouldn't be surprised if Darnold ends up here as a backup at some point in the next few years 

Why?  He sucks.  There is absolutely no reason to believe Darnold would be a better backup than Keenum or Barkley.

New out of camp and practice is Mayfield looks marginally better than Darnold.

The argument can and has been made that Darnold has a half year of extra time with Mcadoo.  
    There is also a lot of hometown hope/hype in Charlotte. 
    To my eye, this is an 8 win team and Mayfield will win them a couple extra games vs Darnold. If McCaffrey actually stays on the field and isn’t overused maybe they are a 10 win team.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Why?  He sucks.  There is absolutely no reason to believe Darnold would be a better backup than Keenum or Barkley.

Sure, but in "the next few years" Keenum and Barkley will be pretty up there in age...

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I guess some have forgotten that Mayfield led the Browns to their 1st playoff appearance since 2002 AND won a playoff game that year(2020). He was injured last year(2021) and it showed. That's nothing to sneeze at. 

A further look into him reveals he’s a childish punk who played with great talent. When Cleveland doesn’t want you, get out the hankies, cuz there a sneeze fest a-coming.

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Beane wanted darnold that year! Just sayin

Nah, was never gonna happen,  he was an interception machine in college and sucked when under pressure, that and he had not much up side to speak of, nothing has changed  for Sam in the NFL.  Beane is smarter than to take such a player.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Heaven Forbid! We all knew he reached his apex in college. Been completely downhill since. 
Lamar & Josh. Period. So much hype for that class. So little to show, sans Allen & Jackson

to be fair, two big time qbs is a pretty great class by most standards. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield played injured all last year. In Buffalo he would have been called a true football player that played with toughness. In Cleveland they shipped him out for a serial sex offender.  I think he is better than game manager but he is not a top 10 guy, probably somewhere around 15.  Average enough that Cleveland with that roster would have pushed for a division title this year.  Mayfield almost beat KC in the playoffs two years ago.  

The problem is the rest of Carolina's roster is not that good

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-name-baker-mayfield-as-starting-quarterback-for-2022-season

Looks like Darnold’s NFL career is on the downslope.  Will be interesting to see in Mayfield plays up to his draft hype and potential in a different setting.  Odds are certainly against him.

the way Carolina has been operating 

Baker may not be far behind 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Most important year of Baker’s career. Will either garner him starting job and 2nd contract next year or relegate him to a backup role. 

It is really his last shot to hang onto a starting job in the league.  Not only does he have to perform but he also has to stay healthy and available. With about 6 projected first round QB's headed to the 2023 draft, some borderline guys will be headed to duty as clipboard holders.  Personally, when I see him play, I put him in the category of Chase Daniel or Case Keenum.  Good enough to be a very good backup but not a starter.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-name-baker-mayfield-as-starting-quarterback-for-2022-season

Looks like Darnold’s NFL career is on the downslope.  Will be interesting to see in Mayfield plays up to his draft hype and potential in a different setting.  Odds are certainly against him.

I would state the one odds in his favor is that Cleveland is so dysfunctional that no one can be good there. But truly few guys put it together after his beginning.

50 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A further look into him reveals he’s a childish punk who played with great talent. When Cleveland doesn’t want you, get out the hankies, cuz there a sneeze fest a-coming.

And led them to their 1st playoff appearance AND victory in almost 2 decades. Childish punk aside, sounds similar to our QB. Now, back to this "little to show, sans Allen & Jackson"...

I don't think the Panthers have a winning record this year, but it would not surprise me to see him get another prove it contract from the Panthers.  He has a legit arm, its just that he is , well, a cultural problem at times.   I think the insurance company needs to drop him, though.

In hindsight, trading a decent qb for a sex offender might be a mistake. But if you take the sex offender part out, Watson is a borderline top 5 qb and Baker is an average nfl starter. 

sums up life as a Browns fan. You can be good but you need to actively cheer for a sex offender. Cleveland rocks!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.