Will the Browns regret it … Mayfield named as starter in Carolina

BuffaloBill

50 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The only thing they will regret from that draft is not taking JA17 #1 overall.

Mayfield is at best a good game manager ala Mac Jones.

Wasn't it rumored at the time that the Browns were deciding between Darnold or Mayfield and Allen was not on their list?

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

wouldn't be surprised if Darnold ends up here as a backup at some point in the next few years 

I know a lot of Bills fans would hate it but if he did the Trubisky low-cost deal, I would be OK with it.

Sam can easily win you half the games he starts with the Bills.  What more do you ask for from a backup?

He may benefit from the Bills staff. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Steptide said:

wouldn't be surprised if Darnold ends up here as a backup at some point in the next few years 

I think that would be a mistake.

The backup has to be a good "Wingman", someone who is willing to be quietly supportive as well as work his ass off ready to come in any snap.

Darnold was a celebrity in college in a way Allen was not.  He was drafted ahead of Allen.  He had a couple year experience being a sought-after celebrity asked for autographs after the draft.

I don't know how true, but there have been rumors that he didn't work as hard as he could have off-season and in NY, when he was the annointed starter and his career was on the line.

None of this says "good Wingman who will support Allen and work his ass off for (relative) pennies" to me.

Rhule is a lame duck over there. It’s my nephews favorite team so I follow them pretty close. Corral probably going to IR for the year might be the best move the team makes all year. 
Rhule is in over his head and will be panicking to save his job all year so at least he can’t ruin the rookie. That said, they have a good enough roster to compete for a wild card. Look forward to seeing this game and all the fringe roster guys for both teams 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know a lot of Bills fans would hate it but if he did the Trubisky low-cost deal, I would be OK with it.

Sam can easily win you half the games he starts with the Bills.  What more do you ask for from a backup?

He may benefit from the Bills staff. 

Question: why would you think Darnold could win half the games he starts for the Bills, when he couldn't come close on two other teams?

17-32 overall

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Heaven Forbid! We all knew he reached his apex in college. Been completely downhill since. 
Lamar & Josh. Period. So much hype for that class. So little to show, sans Allen & Jackson

I guess some have forgotten that Mayfield led the Browns to their 1st playoff appearance since 2002 AND won a playoff game that year(2020). He was injured last year(2021) and it showed. That's nothing to sneeze at. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Question: why would you think Darnold could win half the games he starts for the Bills, when he couldn't come close on two other teams?

17-32 overall

It's a fair question.  I think the guy has some talent and his development was a negative with the Jets and Carolina.

The Jets have been a cluster #@&% and the Panthers O without McCaffrey is pretty weak.

Sam was 3-0 to start last season with McCaffrey and 0-4 after his injury.

To compare him with the current Bills backup QBs estimated results, Keenum can win you more than he loses and Barkley a little less.

I'd put Darnold (in theory) between them with a potential to be even better with a good team/organization.

• Like (+1) 1

It's crazy to think that the 2018 draft was touted (at the time) as one of the best QB drafts in decades, possibly since 1983.

Well it was for us Bills fans at least 😊...But,

13 QBs chosen overall. 5 in the first round. Four in the top 10 overall.

Obviously, it was always about the top 5, but here is where the other 8 QBs chosen that year stand:

Mason Rudolph - Trying to hang on as the Steelers 3rd-string QB (if they keep three)

Kyle Lauletta - Out of the league, playing in the USFL

Mike White - Probably secured the backup role with the Jets due to Wilson's injury. On Wilson's return, probably cut or practice squad. But third-stringer.

Luke Falk - Out of the league

Tanner Lee - Out of the league

Danny Etling - Currently Green Bay's third-string QB. Will he make the roster or practice squad as #3?

Alex McGough - Out of the league. Playing in the USFL

Logan Woodside - Currently QB3 in Tennessee. Had a chance for the backup role, but not having a great preseason

So, at best, four third-string QBs from that group. If those teams don't keep a third-string QB, then Mike White may be the only one on a 53-man roster at the start of the season.

And then we all know about the top 5:

Allen - STUD

Jackson - An MVP season. But can he stay away from the injury bug?

Baker - One more chance in Carolina

Darnold - Backup in Carolina

Rosen - Currently fourth-string QB in Cleveland. Could possibly stick as third-string until Watson's return from suspension, if CLE keeps three for insurance.

Baker could possibly turn it around, but that's what I thought about Darnold last year---maybe he just needed a change of scenery (get out of a bad organization). Darnold looks to be a career backup at this point. Rosen is pretty much done.

It's still amazing to think that the two most maligned QBs in that draft are the only two of the thirteen to actually hit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-name-baker-mayfield-as-starting-quarterback-for-2022-season

Looks like Darnold’s NFL career is on the downslope.  Will be interesting to see in Mayfield plays up to his draft hype and potential in a different setting.  Odds are certainly against him.

His career was on the downslope as soon as he came down with mono.  Or maybe it was the day he was drafted by the loser organization that couldn't put a team around him.  

At this point, he's way past the downslope. He's skied off the downslope, off of a cliff.  His landing ain't gonna be pretty.  

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Beane wanted darnold that year! Just sayin

If true, who knows how things turn out. I obv don't think he turns into josh, but the jets are a factory of ruining young qbs, and darnold makes the best case out of any of them.

In some bizzaro world, I could see him and darnolds in the similar realm. With us bringing Darnold up,  and the jets given their best effort at ruining josh. Thank God it didn't happen

The Browns will never figure it all out.

They draft for skill and not by character.  They can't keep a coach more then a few years. They go for the big splash in free agency that never works out AND they need a new stadium after 20 years because the existing structure is crumbling.

Will they be sorry about losing Baker? NOPE....screwing things up is normal there...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Browns will never figure it all out.

They draft for skill and not by character.  They can't keep a coach more then a few years. They go for the big splash in free agency that never works out AND they need a new stadium after 20 years because the existing structure is crumbling.

Will they be sorry about losing Baker? NOPE....screwing things up is normal there...

I remember when FirstEnergy opened, it's a fairly young building to be falling apart.

I Googled, and it is falling apart.

I hope the Bills do better in the quality department with Hallmark 2.0

4 minutes ago, boater said:

I remember when FirstEnergy opened, it's a fairly young building to be falling apart.

I Googled, and it is falling apart.

I hope the Bills do better in the quality department with Hallmark 2.0

Maybe Progressive still has an 'in' with advertising in Cleveland. 🤔

"Lost your best tenant?  Place looking a bit shabby?  Remember Progressive Landlord Insurance when considering that 'less than perfect' potential renter!"

(Just then, Deshaun Watson drives up in a UHaul...)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

From the 'not so shocking news' feed, it will be interesting to see what Mayfield does in Carolina with some decent talent to work with especially if mccaffery stays healthy and on the field.

But given the Browns current situation there was no way they could keep Mayfield on the roster knowing they traded and paid a fortune for his replacement even though he's not seeing the field anytime soon.

Will be very surprised if the Panthers don't win the opening game convincingly given the revenge factor alone with Mayfield against his former team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.