Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR

CountDorkula

2 hours ago, BTB said:

Bad for WGR.  Probably means a replacement by some young gun who wants to fill hours with yelling, screaming, hot takes, and talking over callers and co-hosts. 

I remember Howard starting out on WBEN.  Has always been a class act. 

I like Simon. However, I like the 'young' guys on nights and weekends just as much, or better than Schopp and Bulldog.

I'll miss Simon though.

I'm really surprised by the hate for the younger guys.  Are they perfect? No, but I find them much, MUCH more enjoyable to listen to than what they put out there from 3-7. 

Very few things/people have gotten me to change the station because of how bad the sports talk hosts are/were on local radio. The WGR young guys don't do that for me.  Schopp does, and when I lived out east and could pick up NY radio stations, Mike and the Maddog did also (I have no idea WHY people like him screaming and yelling, but it drove me crazy 1.1 seconds after he started)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 2

I always liked Howard back when I listened to WGR. Unfortunately, the station itself has been garbage so I haven't listened to him in a long time. 

15 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I like Simon. However, I like the 'young' guys on nights and weekends just as much, or better than Schopp and Bulldog.

I'll miss Simon though.

I'm really surprised by the hate for the younger guys.  Are they perfect? No, but I find them much, MUCH more enjoyable to listen to than what they put out there from 3-7. 

Very few things/people have gotten me to change the station because of how bad the sports talk hosts are/were on local radio. The WGR young guys don't do that for me.  Schopp does, and when I lived out east and could pick up NY radio stations, Mike and the Maddog did also (I have no idea WHY people like him screaming and yelling, but it drove me crazy 1.1 seconds after he started)

If I had to guess, I'd bet a lot of people referencing the awful 'young' guys are talking about Schopp and Maddog. Like, me, personally, the guys I remember and enjoyed were like Larry Felser, Art Wander, Howard Simon, Brad Riter and I forget the name of the other guy that used to broadcast with Simon.. red headed guy with curly hair. 

Edited by Malazan

26 minutes ago, Stads said:

This is exactly how I feel. Schopp derails his show with fantasy/gambling nonsense and Sal likes to go on and on about talking to the players or how amazing of a Dad he is by everything he does with his son. That's awesome that he does all of that stuff, but I'm tuning in to hear about actual sports takes

Better get use to Sal.  I have a strong feeling he is Murph's backfill when he retires.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Stads said:

I don't know how I would feel about Sal taking over. His football knowledge is greatly appreciated, but his storytelling seems so self-absorbed. I know I'm in the minority but I like him in the role he currently has and don't need him having more airtime

Sal is ok, but he won’t ever say anything bad about a player. Last week he was talking about how shocking it was that we cut those two corners like they actually had a chance to make it. I think he thinks he’s part of the team since he can talk to the players regularly. He also loses all credibility the moment he starts talking about how he played high school football. When you do that, you just sound like a loser.

Edited by MWK
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The young kids all have the same schtick. 

Don't ever punt the ball, don't run the ball at all, when in doubt talk about Fantasy Football, and too much story telling on their single or newly married lives, which, in general leaves them out of touch with a good percentage of the listening audience. 

In fairness, some of that is right. 

I didn't figure it out right away, but for about the last 30 years I have screamed at the TV when some announcer said that they have to establish the run.  Coaches in an echo chamber repeating a mantra from the 50s and not realizing the game had changed.  When that saying was really a thing, DBs could practically jump on the back of WRs and force them to give them a piggy back ride.  Of course you should run the ball, especially if you can do it against a light box, but the last 10 years have proved that the best teams tend to throw it more.

All through the drought the fraidy-cat punts by the Bills drove me crazy.  Again, the last 10 years have shown that teams should punt less and the best coaches punt less.

On the rest, I can see your point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BTB said:

Bad for WGR.  Probably means a replacement by some young gun who wants to fill hours with yelling, screaming, hot takes, and talking over callers and co-hosts. 

I remember Howard starting out on WBEN.  Has always been a class act. 

Agreed. The beauty of their current show is Howard being a bit more reserved in approach (so it is hilarious when he losses it) whereas Jeremy usually has the hotter take but he balances it well. Too many of their younger guys are too aggressive with no restraint to show some maturity. Geary would terrify me if he went in that roll as what he does now is OK in small doses but it is wayyy too much in large. I honestly would love to see them go out of market to bring someone not local in.

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Better get use to Sal.  I have a strong feeling he is Murph's backfill when he retires.

I have never heard Sal do PbP of any sport and would be shocked if he replaced Murph(whenever he hangs it up), but how hard can it be to replace…

Touchdown Buffalo, Diggs, Touchdown, what a play, Touchdown!

Rinse and repeat for every scoring play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I’m not going to upset people that like the guy and want to feel a type of nostalgia but thank god. I’m not even sure this guy has watched a sporting event in the last 5 years. He’s completely clueless. Seems like a nice guy and I’m sure the over the top “Nerd” thing is mostly a bit but he just knows so little about sports. He will never once say anything that you need to hear sports wise. Good luck to him though. Seems like a really good guy.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You mean like Dope and the LapDog?

Now they're not as bad as when they defended the previous regimes and belittled post game callers.....especially during the Whaley /Brandon era. I think they've matured as well as Chris Brown who used to polish his shoes before toeing the company line. They've come a long way over the last few years.

49 minutes ago, BTB said:

I have never heard Sal do PbP of any sport and would be shocked if he replaced Murph(whenever he hangs it up), but how hard can it be to replace…

Forgot to add “must also hit puberty mid call” 

59 minutes ago, BTB said:

He does High School locally and a few UB games.   I say I think he is next in line as he appears to have taken over for Murph during the lead up to pre-season games with Eric Wood.    I don't mind Murph's playcalling, just as good as the mindless talking heads that the television networks roll out.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I have always liked Howard Simon.  It does seem like he has been going through the motions for several years and/or the management has told him to play a 'boob' as his role.  I think you can certainly tell that he has been tiring of the daily grind.

Everyone there is stale for the most part.  Bulldog is the worst of it.  I cant believe that guy earns a paycheck for the "work" he does.  He provides nothing of value and he isnt a good broadcaster either. He just walks up to his attic, puts on a headset, flips a switch, and steals money from Audacy. 

I actually didnt mind Schopp other than the constant gambling and fantasy talk.  I cant listen to that stuff.  There is a complete sports radio station locally that is like 24 hours of gambling talk (1520).  

Even jeremy White is stale, but unlike the older guys, he still actually appears to like sports and consumes a lot of it and can bring a lot to his show. 

I actually do like the younger guys they have around.  They seem to bring an energy that is lacking in the older hosts

In all cases though, gambling talk needs to be somewhat minimalized.  It is just really bad radio IMO if it is overkill and every subject is tied with odds, futures, money lines, etc.  (And I even dabble in sports gambling).  I really dont care of Derrick Henry is "+350" to win the MVP or whatever.  Its getting to the point where I am going to get turned off to sports gambling as a whole.

May Day - This is an excellent post. 

I agree with you on the gambling talk, and thank you for pointing out Bulldog's lack of effort. 

It was brought up in this message board that Audacy bought BetQL, and now we can see the constant commercial that Schopp and Bulldog has become.  

But it has gotten bad in the afternoon between gambling and constant conversation about Fantasy Football. 

I've always defended Schopp more so than Bulldog, because at least Schopp brings up the topics. He has a broader sense of opinions on the state of a league, trends in the league, what the data is telling you. Schopp does all the thinking for that show. Like I said, Bulldog is like Howard Simon, a guy who hasn't cared about being a professional for years, and for Bulldog, COVID was the excuse he needed to completely shut it down and hide behind that excuse to not come into the office. 

In a larger sense, it's my problem with American sports media now. I use to like Colin Cowherd. He talked about different cities in the United States, had opinions of jobs/careers, and of course, spoke on the bigger trends in sports. But now? It's an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Westbrook daily bash, a daily reminder of how  Southern California takes big swings and doesn't accept mediocrity, or a generic summary of Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Tom Brady. 

Dan Patrick is another guy that won't get out of the seat. Same show, same guests, same mannerisms everyday - yeah Paulie.....about 1,000 times per show. 

On the networks, it's still Skip Bayless screaming about LeBron James every chance he gets, and Stephen A Smith just mad about everything. 

Stuck with guys who have been in the same seat for 20+ years now. 

Getting back to WGR, I use to be engaged with the content and call in. But too many times the hosts give the guy who doesn't answer when they patch him in, they have to remind him that he's "on the air" as dead silence time racks up, and then he spits out a take summarizing something that nobody on the show said, or he just says something like "the Bills suck" and that guy gets 5 minutes to talk. 

Callers who are organized, and precise, they get run off the air, or don't get on as Schopp talks about the right way to pronounce Lando Calrissian.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

May Day - This is an excellent post. 

I agree with you on the gambling talk, and thank you for pointing out Bulldog's lack of effort. 

It was brought up in this message board that Audacy bought BetQL, and now we can see the constant commercial that Schopp and Bulldog has become.  

But it has gotten bad in the afternoon between gambling and constant conversation about Fantasy Football. 

I've always defended Schopp more so than Bulldog, because at least Schopp brings up the topics. He has a broader sense of opinions on the state of a league, trends in the league, what the data is telling you. Schopp does all the thinking for that show. Like I said, Bulldog is like Howard Simon, a guy who hasn't cared about being a professional for years, and for Bulldog, COVID was the excuse he needed to completely shut it down and hide behind that excuse to not come into the office. 

In a larger sense, it's my problem with American sports media now. I use to like Colin Cowherd. He talked about different cities in the United States, had opinions of jobs/careers, and of course, spoke on the bigger trends in sports. But now? It's an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Westbrook daily bash, a daily reminder of how  Southern California takes big swings and doesn't accept mediocrity, or a generic summary of Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Tom Brady. 

Dan Patrick is another guy that won't get out of the seat. Same show, same guests, same mannerisms everyday - yeah Paulie.....about 1,000 times per show. 

On the networks, it's still Skip Bayless screaming about LeBron James every chance he gets, and Stephen A Smith just mad about everything. 

Stuck with guys who have been in the same seat for 20+ years now. 

Getting back to WGR, I use to be engaged with the content and call in. But too many times the hosts give the guy who doesn't answer when they patch him in, they have to remind him that he's "on the air" as dead silence time racks up, and then he spits out a take summarizing something that nobody on the show said, or he just says something like "the Bills suck" and that guy gets 5 minutes to talk. 

Callers who are organized, and precise, they get run off the air, or don't get on as Schopp talks about the right way to pronounce Lando Calrissian.

WGR is a classic example of a station and staff that has been coasting for years due to lack of real competition. Doing local sports radio well is expensive, and no other Buffalo broadcaster is going to make that investment to take on WGR.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Anyone remember when "The Coach" (Chuck Dickerson) was on WGR back in the mid-90's?

I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed his football talk. He had a lot of bravado but also a lot of actual football knowledge to back it up. Unlike the 20-somethings that only know the drought.

Recently, I heard some of the WGR guys quoting Bills Podcasts - Locked on Bills, Shout, Cover 1 - it's like guys, seriously, don't you have anything original or insightful to say yourselves?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.