Haack and Austin Cut per WGR

boyst

Players get a fair shot at making the Bills roster, but it's still a very tough challenge to get there, or stay there.  If someone else can do the job even a little better, you're gone.  And Haack, despite not being as bad last year as his talent and history suggest were his norm, just wasn't good enough last year.  

Haack punted twice in preseason, and both were good solid professional punts.  He's a solid player, and some other team will grab him because he's better than they guy they currently have.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I got to think after seeing Matt Araiza's interviews and his calm low-profile demeanor, he must cringe at all this punt god stuff.

Now that he made the team, I will use MA when mentioning him in future posts.

100% agree brother! Hope we eventually come up with something that’ll make him feels more comfortable sooner rather than later. Don’t want him getting in his head with this silly nickname that he doesn’t even like. 

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, Bravo to you! 😏

He’s The Punt God now & forever, Amen.

LOL.  I know and it's probably only a result of the nuns at St Josaphat's!

3 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

100% agree brother! Hope we eventually come up with something that’ll make him feels more comfortable sooner rather than later. Don’t want him getting in his head with this silly nickname that he doesn’t even like. 

I doubt that will happen.  I'm just going to do what feels right for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

Even for a below average punter the odds of directly losing a game from a poor punt is so small it’s not even worth consideration.

Not saying it’s never happened or couldn’t happen but it’s unlikely.

Back in the late 1960s, Paul Maguire had a couple that might have been just that. Once, while punting from his endzone, he hit the goalpost, (which was on the goalline at that time). That cost us because it was ruled a safety. On another one I remember, Paul was punting from deep in our own end and he kicked the ball into the backside of the up-back. As I recall, that cost us 7 in the ensuing plays.

I also remember in one of those wind games at the Rockpile, Paul skyed one and the wind caught it. It actually sailed backward landing behind him. Again as I remember, that cost us 7.

Lord know, I can't remember if we lost those games, but we didn't win many during those years. Someone else might remember those games better.

So, yeah. A punter can affect the result of a game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Damn…. The way fans were talking about Austin just a few weeks ago I thought Allen was going to make him an all pro. 😅

There were some people who were pretty cross about those of us with any common sense who could see that Austin isn't a rosterable NFL player anymore.    He's a guy who maybe comes off the PS and gives you a few weeks of playing out the string before you and your regime get fired.    Like he did in Jax last year.   Nice guy but he's toast as a player.

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

Pads came on and his disappeared. Bills let him run his commercial during the end of the game Saturday. Hopefully that earns him another look on a team who can use a decent PR and vet presence in the WR room. The Bills isn’t that team this year.

Definite validity in the pad aspect.    Young players struggle when the pads come on because their lack of skill/technique gets exposed.........old one's just get physically diminished by the contact.

But anyone looking for a decent PR or KOR is SOL going with Austin.    He's been bad at both for almost all of his career and done next to none of it since 2016.    

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Damn…. The way fans were talking about Austin just a few weeks ago I thought Allen was going to make him an all pro. 😅

Yup.  Right around the same time we were talking about Shakir...

4 hours ago, BigPappy said:

We know Araiza has the leg for the long punts and that's great. But, has he demonstrated that he also has the touch for pinning a team deep? I'm not sold on releasing Haack is a good thing. At least not yet.  

Why?  What was so great about Haack?

58 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Back in the late 1960s, Paul Maguire had a couple that might have been just that. Once, while punting from his endzone, he hit the goalpost, (which was on the goalline at that time). That cost us because it was ruled a safety. On another one I remember, Paul was punting from deep in our own end and he kicked the ball into the backside of the up-back. As I recall, that cost us 7 in the ensuing plays.

I also remember in one of those wind games at the Rockpile, Paul skyed one and the wind caught it. It actually sailed backward landing behind him. Again as I remember, that cost us 7.

Lord know, I can't remember if we lost those games, but we didn't win many during those years. Someone else might remember those games better.

So, yeah. A punter can affect the result of a game.

Yeah there’s no doubt it can happen, but the fact you’re pulling up instances from the stone ages is kind of my point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Red King said:

But can The Process fix that?  Remember, Diggs supposedly had a BA.  Did OBJ show any BA with the Rams?  Honest question, I'm curious.

It’s a different situation than when he was a highly-paid wide receiver in a big market like New York City.  Now he’ll be playing on a per game contract and joining a team already in the playoffs (by the time he’s healed). The bigger question is whether he will be any good after the second surgery to the same knee?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.