Haack and Austin Cut per WGR

boyst

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

They must be satisfied by what they see in practice. We know he's got the holding thing down... I really wanted to see what he could do with hangtime and pinning opponents inside the 20 on a shorter field... 

The truth is, PG won the job before the preseason started, with the one caveat being "if he can hold."  When he held in the first two games for a 100% success rate, that just made it official.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-two-players

Weird how the Bills website titles it "a punter and a wide receiver" c'mon Jenkins "Senior Director of Content" these guys have names.

Two down,  two to go

“One simple trick for learning about future cuts”

9 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Haack was due to make close to $2 million this year. Considering the thought we probably didn't even need a punter the last 3/4th's of last season, this was overdue. 

lol

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

And future cut Duke Johnson he seemed like a solid dude in his post game interview.

Agreed.  This was a great situation for him….until we drafted James Cook.  His date was sealed the second cook was drafted imo

From first round draft pick to "I hope he gets added to someone's practice squad" LOL

I wonder if Austin would take that offer?  John Brown did IIRC but Brown didn't have the same pedigree (or salary) in his prior years in the league

PS > cfl or retired.  Pretty sure he would.  

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I'm surprised at the Haack cut. I thought they would of wanted to see more of Matt in different situations.

They must be satisfied by what they see in practice. We know he's got the holding thing down... I really wanted to see what he could do with hangtime and pinning opponents inside the 20 on a shorter field... 

But lets face it, we were all in on the anyone but Haack movement.

Who gives a damn about who the punter is . Short of collecting unemployment he’s stealing money. Easiest job in the NFL this season.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Cutting Haack now is being kind to him, maybe he gets a job somewhere else now.

Getting him the first punt in our last game was more of the same, I believe. Trying to do the right thing by him. Players notice that stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I wish them both well. Thanks for your interest in the Buffalo Bills.

Agreed.  A least a letter of rejection tops showing up for work / practice, and finding you no longer have employment.

"Hey, my 'swipe in' card for parking won't open the gate!"

"My name and number fell off my locker cubby.  Can you have Maintenance attach a new one?  What?!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Haack put two perfect kicks on tape in the preseason and applied needed pressure on Araiza. Hopefully he’s picked up and the organization looks good for helping out both kickers.  The front office realizes Araiza could literally cost us a game or two this year, but it’s worth the risk for the potential rewards over the next decade. 

Haack arguably cost us one game last year, and damn near another. His potential to contribute to a win - or break even on WOR for that matter - was nil. Araiza may have a marginally greater chance to hurt as a rookie, but a far greater chance to help now and going forward. Obviously.

How do you figure Araiza could "literally cost us a game or two" this year?

Theoretically there are at least 3 ways any punter/holder can cost his team a game.

1) Poor hang time/outkicking the coverage resulting in a long punt return leading to a score. Araiza had these issues in college.

2) Taking too long to release the punt causing the punt to get blocked, leading to a score. Has anyone been timing his release?

3) Botching a hold on a FG attempt. This could happen to anyone at anytime. It's probably more likely with an inexperienced holder which Araiza is.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If you are a football team going into a brand new season and your thoughts on your punter are "he may cost us a game or 2" that guy needs to be cut 

I don't think our punter will have that amount of pull on this team to cost us anything 

None of us have a crystal ball. There's a scenario where one bad play affects the outcome of one game which affects the standings which affects home field seeding.

The selection of Araiza as the punter is one of risk/reward.

McDermott et al are guessing/predicting/hoping that Araiza will increase the win probabilities of the games and/or that his mistakes won't cost us anything.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I got to think after seeing Matt Araiza's interviews and his calm low-profile demeanor, he must cringe at all this punt god stuff.

Now that he made the team, I will use MA when mentioning him in future posts.

Well, Bravo to you! 😏

He’s The Punt God now & forever, Amen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Theoretically there are at least 3 ways any punter/holder can cost his team a game.

1) Poor hang time/outkicking the coverage resulting in a long punt return leading to a score. Araiza had these issues in college.

2) Taking too long to release the punt causing the punt to get blocked, leading to a score. Has anyone been timing his release?

3) Botching a hold on a FG attempt. This could happen to anyone at anytime. It's probably more likely with an inexperienced holder which Araiza is.

Fair on all 3 points.

As far as Puntapalooza with the choices of Haack vs Araiza -

1) with Haack there was the opposite problem of shanks and botched snaps

2) long release/too many steps/blocked punts a problem with Haack before and during his time here

3) Granted this is an advantage to Haack.  He was a solid solid holder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.