Raheem Blackshear Overreaction/Hype

jwhit34

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There has been media speculation (Buscaglia I think?  Maybe Parrino?) that the Bills may try to trade Moss

It doesn't surprise me that there's speculation, but I'm guessing it's based on the same sort of crowded-rb-room deduction that I'm using. We'll see!

I’m just thrilled that we are on this end of the deal for a change. We used to look for starters and depth guys on other teams scrap heaps.  We are now the team that others look to when they need pieces before the season starts.

I’’m good with Blackshear making it to our practice squad. He clearly has something to offer, and it seems to be instincts and effort more than amazing physical talent. 

• Agree 2

If Antonio Williams didn’t get a shot I don’t know why people think Blackshear will. Williams even performed in a reagular season game…averaged over 5 yards a carry and had TDs and was never seen again. Just ain’t happening. Our draft picks will be the only ones getting carried this season.

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

If Antonio Williams didn’t get a shot I don’t know why people think Blackshear will. Williams even performed in a reagular season game…averaged over 5 yards a carry and had TDs and was never seen again. Just ain’t happening. Our draft picks will be the only ones getting carried this season.

While I agree with you, Blackshear at least has kick return potential also - and is more of the receiving threat than Williams. However Cook kind of makes Blackshear redundant unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PolishPrince said:

While I agree with you, Blackshear at least has kick return potential also - and is more of the receiving threat than Williams. However Cook kind of makes Blackshear redundant unfortunately.

Yep.  There's a RB on the roster that does everything he does well, but just a bit better.  Our roster is just a tough spot for Blackshear.  I don't think he has the type of gamebreaking potential to force the Bills to keep him, but he's a "football player" and he'll catch on somewhere, just like Antonio Williams did (who is once again showing that he's got the juice during preseason with the Giants).

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

My money is on he is getting cut, will not be claimed and will be on the Bills PS.

Most likely.  I do however believe he has more talent than Willaims and definitely more than Wade.

He may be in the mix for RB3 next year.  Can't ask for more than that from an UDFA.

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not following your logic train here.  Taiwan Jones is 1005 on the team as a ST gunner.  When he's had his chances to contribute on offense he's squibbed.  So Blackshear would need to be better at ST to oust Taiwan Jones.

The Elephant in the Room that neither you nor the guy you're responding to mentioned is the RB's critical role in pass protection.  How is Blackshear there?

There has been media speculation (Buscaglia I think?  Maybe Parrino?) that the Bills may try to trade Moss

Green Bay

Just stop. I don’t care about your ridiculous opinion, or anyone else’s for that matter on keeping special teams guys. They are wasted roster spots. I don’t care about punt and kick teams. 

• Eyeroll 2

It's pretty wild how different the RB situation looks right now, compared to last season.  

We don't have a workhorse stud RB, but I'd argue that we potentially have a Top 10 backfield with Singletary, Moss and Cook... That's a far cry from where we've been in that room.  

Singletary is a legitimate lead back, not elite.. but average to above average at everything. 

Moss, now healthy, looks like a legit power back with the added bonus of being an above average pass pro/receiving back.

If Cook hits... and early indications are positive... this is a very good trio.  

Blackshear making it to the PS, with the chance to be RB3 next year would be icing on the cake.  Not sure, given our pass happy offense and QB contract, we can wish for much more than what we're going into the season with at RB, sans burning a RD1 pick on a back. 

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I agree Blackshear defintely raised some eyebrows.... But like I said above he is not surplanting our top 3 RBs... he's in the conversation for 4th RB spot for sure, but odds are more in favor of PS

The guy on WGR today has the Bills cutting Zack Moss and keeping Tommy Sweeney😳

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

This year is no different. In the tradition of Da'Rick Rogers, Naaman Roosevelt, Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Joique Bell, Cierre Wood, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams and of course Duke Williams, this year we have Raheem Blackshear.

No love for the great Anthony Gray?

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

"Underdog stories, especially RBs and WRs, seem to be a tradition unlike any other for Bills fans, and probably fans of most other teams. 

This year is no different. In the tradition of Da'Rick Rogers, Naaman Roosevelt, Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Joique Bell, Cierre Wood, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams and of course Duke Williams, this year we have Raheem Blackshear."

He'll be gon like the turkey through corn if he's placed on the practice squad. So, if that's where he ends up, that means there was nothing the coaching staff could do to save him.

This is the most talented group of rookies and free agents on the Bills I've ever seen!

Edited by Buffaloflash

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just stop. I don’t care about your ridiculous opinion, or anyone else’s for that matter on keeping special teams guys. They are wasted roster spots. I don’t care about punt and kick teams. 

LOL, "just stop", let me think....No. 

"I don't care", your "feels" interest someone else, Why?  Oh.  They don't.  What matters is how well you support your arguments.

McDermott and Beane have shown for 5 successful years THEY don't consider ST spots wasted.  Talking as though Blackshear is competing against Taiwan Jones for offensive contributions misses the point about who might get kept or cut on the Bills and why.  GB lost their Divisional playoff game on a blocked punt return, so McDermott and Beane just might know something.

Then there's the point I raised which has nothing to do with ST that you skipped over:

"The Elephant in the Room that neither you nor the guy you're responding to mentioned is the RB's critical role in pass protection.  How is Blackshear there?"

You say?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Correct, once any player hits the PS they can be protected weekly.  Not saying he would.  And yes, have to clear waivers to get to PS.

Feel it’s a good bet he’d clear waivers.

Even protecting weekly doesn’t mean protected.  It means from Wednesday to Sunday as you build your game plan - he can’t be poached, but teams can take him after the game until the next protection.

It just keeps a guy you may be using in the game plan due to injury and keep him from going elsewhere.

You can’t keep a guy there indefinitely if another team wants him.

15 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

He'll be gon like the turkey through corn if he's placed on the practice squad. So, if that's where he ends up, that means there was nothing the coaching staff could do to save him.

This is the most talented group of rookies and free agents on the Bills I've ever seen!

The group hasn't played a game yet, they show promise but we will see. 

I would take the 1985 draft class over this one:

Bruce Smith

Derrick Burroughs (unfortunate that injuries curtailed his career)

Chris Burkett

Frank Reich

Andre Reed 

Dale Hellestrae (over 200 games as a long snapper)

Hal Garner

Ron Pitts

They also picked up UDFA Scott Norwood

1987 was also very good:

Shane Conlan

Nate Odomes

Roland Mitchell (ended up in the Leonard Smith trade)

David Brandon

Jamie Mueller

Leon Seals

Keith McKellar

Howard Ballard

UDFA Mitch Frerotte

Bill Polian had a 4 year run in the draft (1985-88) that was amazing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

The problem with this argument is…

1. He Doesn't need to be more accomplished than Devin Singletary 

2. He doesn’t need to be more powerful or effective in short yardage than Zack Moss. 

3. He doesn’t need to be faster or a better pass catching back than James Cook. 

he just needs to be better at all of those things than Taiwan Jones. And he is 100%

Doesn’t Blackshear have to better than Jones on ST?  or at least a contributor on ST?  Does he just get to be a 4th string player that brings nothing else just because you like hm?  

You keep ignoring the fact that Jones was a team captain and a special teams ace.  

Oh, special teams aren’t important, that’s right.  Just assume every punt and every kickoff will be a touchback.   Isn’t that your theory?  

I am pulling for Blackshear to make the 53 but if he doesn’t I trust that McDermott had good reasons why.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I haven’t followed as closely as years past but it looks like the coaches are giving more guys every opportunity to win these jobs from the special teams players. It’s pretty clear if you are on the fringe you should be begging to get in on special teams to make this roster. All that said, I don’t think blackshear has a prayer in the world other than injury to make this roster. 
And I’m not even sold he gets snatched right away from the practice squad. Not because he’s not talented but most teams have quite a few backs they want to keep. Until injuries start piling up I think he’d be safe 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.