Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 2

GunnerBill

16 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

That is why Leeds > Arsenal ... I got to watch the Bills on Saturday and the Mighty Whites today (and what a game it was against the Chelsea scum) MOT

Hard to disagree with any of that. I would add that it was a good game for Taiwan Jones - in his absence the STs looked a bit vulnerable to run backs. I don't think his place on the roster was in much doubt anyway but, for me, that showed the value of a "proper" ST player.

ALAW!!!

What a match, Elland Road was madness.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure, if it comes to a tie. My point is if Quess has to start the year and plays well then they pull him for Brown once he is full go and Brown struggles a team in "win now" mode has to consider going back to the vet. 

There is a lot riding on this season for the Bills and while I don't expect them to suddenly neglect the future as a result I do think it will lead to a tweak in approach.

Brown showed promise last year but there were many games where he did not grade well.  he was thrown in earlier than wanted. let him get healthy and then plug him in for reps at the end of blowouts as needed.

Edited by Robert Paulson

16 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I guess we have different definitions of being thrown under the bus, below are some quotes from Dawkins, after seeing your post I went back and re read the article a second time.  He had more good things to say than bad.  Not sure too if Dawkins was implying maybe the entire line felt Johnson focused too much on the negative all the time.

“Cody had a hell of a day,” Dawkins said, “pancake after pancake after pancake, no pressures.”

“Cody is a fighter,” Dawkins said. “Last year, he was upset he wasn’t playing. This year, he’s taking it as a reality check and is handling it the right way.

“What we want to see is him respecting the challenge and not complaining about it. As long as he’s not pouting and keeping high spirits, as long as he puts his best work on film, he understands what needs to be done.”

“(Kromer) doesn’t sugarcoat anything,” Dawkins said. “He’ll tell him exactly what he doesn’t want to hear. He’ll say, ‘This is f** horrible,’ or, ‘You think that you’re doing it right, but you’re not.’

“Cody’s heard that before, but now it’s from a different face. So now it’s not, ‘Oh, that’s Bobby being Bobby.’ Now you have two people saying it, so now you’re the one that’s wrong and not them.”

“I’m proud of him,” Dawkins said. “It’s easy when things are going wrong in this league to shut it down and go into a dark place.

“He’s not there. He’s working.”

Also this from Ford:

Asked about the difference between Kromer and previous assistant Bobby Johnson, Ford responded with eight seconds of silence. The corners of his lips curled upward as he mulled his reply.

“He’s doing a phenomenal job,” Ford said of Kromer. “I don’t know what that means, coming from me. But the way we’ve been coached and the techniques that we’ve learned is why I say there’s been so much improvement.”

https://theathletic.com/3524555/2022/08/20/bills-cody-ford-training-camp/

When Dawkins is using terms like pout, complain, reality check thats a major call out in the world of pro sports where diplomatic non-answers are the norm.  

The bolded above is as candid a response I have ever seen from one teammate to another in front of the media.  I don't think Ford was well respected in the locker room.

Good for Cody for having his coming to Jeeesus moment.  Its not at all too late for him. This team is still questionable at RT and guard and has little depth.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/21/2022 at 4:50 PM, SectionC3 said:

Also agree on Hodgins.  He’s #7 right now.  I tried to think yesterday of who he reminds me of.  Maybe a more athletic David Nelson (somebody else made the same comparison in a different thread).  I want to think he sticks, but I’m becoming more and more convinced that Kumerow has a firm grasp on #6 because of his special teams value and his ability to replace Davis in the “Bob Woods/Rams” blocking role.  (We don’t do it as much as the Rams, but Davis gets his nose dirty from time to time).  I don’t know if Hodgins offers that.  

There were games last year when Kumerow while he got very few looks but was in there to block off DBs allowing other WRs to make plays.  If he is ignored Josh has shown he will throw to anyone who can get open and he is tall enough he can catch over any DB.   Not see Hodgins do that at all.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

There were games last year when Kumerow while he got very few looks but was in there to block off DBs allowing other WRs to make plays.  If he is ignored Josh has shown he will throw to anyone who can get open and he is tall enough he can catch over any DB.   Not see Hodgins do that at all.

Yeah, they used him a lot on runs/screens last year.  IIRC, he and McKenzie were a package for some of that.  It was to the point that, every time Kumerow hit the field, I’d think it was a run.  I also wondered wither Daboll was setting up a shot play all year with that package.  I *think* we eventually took the shot, but didn’t complete the pass. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.