G - Saffold, Bates, Hart

C - Morse, Mancz

DE - Miller, Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, Lawson

DT - Oliver, Jones, Settle, Phillips

LB - Edmunds, Milano, Dodson, Bernard, Matakevich, Spector

CB - White, Jackson, Johnson, Elam, Benford, Neal

S - Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Hamlin

ST - Ferguson, Bass, Araiza

...for the initial roster. That's 54 so need to subtract one - White to the PUP would suffice. 

For example here is Sal Capaccio's 53-man. 

I don't see them keeping Morris on the active roster.  I think he's one who can slide onto the practice squad.

Some of the tough decisions have been deferred - Andre' Smith is suspended 6 games, Boettger on PUP - what happens if they're activated?

I think they may keep Lewis and put Tre White on PUP.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

For example here is Sal Capaccio's 53-man. 

I don't see them keeping Morris on the active roster.  I think he's one who can slide onto the practice squad.

Some of the tough decisions have been deferred - Andre' Smith is suspended 6 games, Boettger on PUP - what happens if they're activated?

The only thing I will add - I see the TE3 as a choice between a back-up for Knox in Morris (more open and fluid in routes - less a blocker) and a back-up for Howard in Sweeney- less athletic more blocking traits.

It is the reason I believe Morris started last game as TE1 with Allen - Knox was not available.  They have also been trying Morris in blocking roles - see as a lead blocker on the long Moss run versus Indy - where Morris was stuffed.  

I think they like Morris, but he is limited and feel at least Howard and Sweeney can play in line and slightly in space.

I myself lean toward Morris as losing Knox means you lose a big weapon and I would rather replace that and use Gilliam/Doyle when blocking is needed.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

The only thing I will add - I see the TE3 as a choice between a back-up for Knox in Morris (more open and fluid in routes - less a blocker) and a back-up for Howard in Sweeney- less athletic more blocking traits.

It is the reason I believe Morris started last game as TE1 with Allen - Knox was not available.  They have also been trying Morris in blocking roles - see as a lead blocker on the long Moss run versus Indy - where Morris was stuffed.  

I think they like Morris, but he is limited and feel at least Howard and Sweeney can play in line and slightly in space.

I myself lean toward Morris as losing Knox means you lose a big weapon and I would rather replace that and use Gilliam/Doyle when blocking is needed.  

Tommy Sweeney can not block. No ides where this idea comes from but people have said it for 3 years now at this time lf year and he is utterly, utterly dreadful at it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, wppete said:

Looks about right, good job!  The RB and TE room is one to keep an eye on and Araiza situation is very concerning. 

Gracias. Yeah, I didn't read about the Araiza news until this morning. Whether or not the kid is innocent I think you've gotta cut him. It's just so gross and heinous to have that kind of black cloud hanging over the team. Let alone the poor woman who suffered, yeesh. Sorry, Matt, you done f*%@$d up. Especially on a team led by culture king Sean McDermott, can't have that stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree it's unlikely they keep 4 TEs. But it sounds like they're high on both Sweeney and Morris - and the Giants would likely sign either/both if cut. I think it's more likely they're leaning toward keeping both Sweeney and Morris on the 53 and shopping Howard. 

Cam Lewis is the interesting fringe player especially now that they're working him at safety. 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The choice is Smith/Spector when he's activiated. I don't think Boettger plays this season, perhaps injury settlements or outright release. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tommy Sweeney can not block. No ides where this idea comes from but people have said it for 3 years now at this time lf year and he is utterly, utterly dreadful at it.

Agreed, but athletically speaking he is more similar to Howard than Knox and Morris is more athletically similar to Knox.

If it was me and I was keeping 3 TEs - I keep Morris over Sweeney because I think Sweeney easily makes it to the PS if needed.

15 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I frankly think Howard is toast.  He was playing at the very end of the game.

Sweeney is a big solid guy  at 6'5" 251 and looks like he should be a great blocking TE.

But is he?

I saw him get totally pwned at times today, and other times when I've watched him, his body and placement is all wrong for good leverage.

Sweeney was actually an accomplished receiver at Boston College and the concern pre-draft was that his blocking needed a lot of technical development.

On the other hand in some glimpses I saw, Morris actually looked solid as a blocker.

8 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

I don’t think they keep Sweeney or Shaq and Cam Lewis is 50/50. I think they keep Duke Johnson. 

I think they may PUP Tre White and keep another DB.  My thinking was it would be Cam Lewis, but it's possible Nick McCloud impressed them enough.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thank you.  That is what I have seen.

I think it arises because he's big and solid and looks like he ought to be able to block.

Edited by Beck Water

First time I've tried choosing a roster...

QB - Josh Allen and Case Keenum

RB - James Cook, Duke Johnson, Taiwan Jones, Zack Moss and Devin Singletary

WR - Jamison Crowder, Gabriel Davis, Stefon Diggs, Isiah Hodgins, Jake Kumerow, Isisah McKenzie, Khalil Shakir and Marques Stevenson

TE - OJ Howard, Dawson Knox and Quintin Morris

OL - Ryan Bates, Ike Boettger, Spencer Brown, Dion Dawkins, Tommy Doyle, Greg Mancz, Mitch Morse, David Quessenberry, Rodger Saffold and Greg Van Roten

DL - Carlos Basham Jr., A J Epenesa, DaQuan Jones, Shaq Lawson, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Gregory Rousseau and Tim Settle

LB - Tremaine Edwards, Tyler Matakevich, Tyrel Dodson, Matt Milano and Von Miller

DB - Kaiir Elam, Damar Hamlin, Micah Hyde, Dane Jackson, Jaquan Johnson, Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Jordan Poyer and Tre White

ST - Tyler Bass, Reid Ferguson, (Punter)

I think Howard is also toast. I don't love us keeping 4 TEs and then let's not forget Gillam. That allows usay e the leeway to keep an extra WR or Blackshear. 

I'd rather cut the cord on Howard and bring in a couple PS TEs to develop.

Is Howard PS eligible? 

Edited by RichRiderBills

3 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think Howard is also toast. I don't love us keeping 4 TEs and then let's not forget Gillam. That allows usay e the leeway to keep an extra WR or Blackshear. 

I'd rather cut the cord on Howard and bring in a couple PS TEs to develop.

Is Howard PS eligible? 

Releasing Howard would cost us more than $2.6m in dead money, and is $1.945m salary is fully guaranteed.  I think he's staying.

23 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

First time I've tried choosing a roster...

QB - Josh Allen and Case Keenum

RB - James Cook, Duke Johnson, Taiwan Jones, Zack Moss and Devin Singletary

WR - Jamison Crowder, Gabriel Davis, Stefon Diggs, Isiah Hodgins, Jake Kumerow, Isisah McKenzie, Khalil Shakir and Marques Stevenson

TE - OJ Howard, Dawson Knox and Quintin Morris

OL - Ryan Bates, Ike Boettger, Spencer Brown, Dion Dawkins, Tommy Doyle, Greg Mancz, Mitch Morse, David Quessenberry, Rodger Saffold and Greg Van Roten

DL - Carlos Basham Jr., A J Epenesa, DaQuan Jones, Shaq Lawson, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Gregory Rousseau and Tim Settle

LB - Tremaine Edwards, Tyler Matakevich, Tyrel Dodson, Matt Milano and Von Miller

DB - Kaiir Elam, Damar Hamlin, Micah Hyde, Dane Jackson, Jaquan Johnson, Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Jordan Poyer and Tre White

ST - Tyler Bass, Reid Ferguson, (Punter)

There’s no way Reggie Gilliam doesn’t make this team :) 

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Should have noticed that! I fear for Duke Johnson, though think I would prefer to drop Stevenson to the practice squad.

Stevenson is hurt. They can IR stash him. Duke is an easy cut because he’s a vested veteran so isn’t subject to waivers if they want to do any handshake deal roster shenanigans. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uninja said:

Stevenson is hurt. They can IR stash him. Duke is an easy cut because he’s a vested veteran so isn’t subject to waivers if they want to do any handshake deal roster shenanigans. 

Thank you - so there may be a way we can keep Johnson without having him as part of the 53?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.