James Cook is going to be a major problem

78thealltimegreat

36 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He could have called this post "evidence Cody Ford is going to be good."  

My goodness Ford on that first run...

But then there's the second... To be fair he looked good on a couple. He just often looks...tired? Lackadaisical? Hard to say. But he showed a couple nice power run blocks in those clips, as you mention. 

11 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

James Cook = 1988 Thurman Thomas

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Cook has looked pretty good. The only guy who has looked better is future hall of famer Raheem Blackshear.

I actually think Blackshear looks alot like Thurman Thomas, more so than Cook does. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

Thought he showed exactly what was needed to be shown to strike fear into opposing DC’s yesterday. 

Too much, imo.

10 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think there hiding what he's going to be in the passing game

Exactly! Beane’s still pissed at the pantyless ‘Commando’s’ for the Mckissic BS. He wanted a pass catching RB from getgo. We saw little to none of it at the open practices at SJF, Red & Blue & preseason games. But the Evil Wizard has the laboratory sealed off now and this is where real plays are instituted into the playbook, with Cook lined up outside. New, more potent concoctions from our standard empty backfield looks with Cook singled up on a LB. Rams won’t know what hit ‘em.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Simon said:

If that showed me anything, it showed 74 really finishing a bunch blocks for the first time in his career.

hmmmmmm...... 🤔

no joke, I have heard some people I have faith in begin praising Ford.

Kromer elevated this dude.

10 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

1) first run and 3rd run or 4th run, I forget but mostly first

He didn't show patience. A little more patience be could have seen the stunt by the OL tell him he could have bounced it to the side.

2) this lack of patience is evident and shows that he doesn't yet posses the skill to read a developing play at the speed necessary yet

Rookie, maybe trying a bit to hard, I think you may be exercising a bit of hyperbole, I’m quite certain the coaches have had him watch the film a bunch of times already, and that he is at this point fully aware of any short comings, nothing to be especially worried about. His playing time as a rookie is dependent on the game plan for the given opponent and his progression as a RB. He will get snaps, 

Edited by Don Otreply

29 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Bringing Kromer back was one of the best offseason moves this team made. After Juan Castillo and Bobby Johnson, it will be interesting to watch the line play this year under a coach that actually knows what he is doing...

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, sirebors said:

I actually think Blackshear looks alot like Thurman Thomas, more so than Cook does. 

I realize the Blackshear hype train is now at unstoppable speed, but comparing an undrafted guy that has only played against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the preseason to a hall of famer like Thurman!?  

46 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

He looks more active but it's the mental side of the game that he has still sucked at.   He whiffed on a block after an assignment error in the opener that lead to James Cook getting tackled for little gain on what was an otherwise well blocked play with big potential..........and then it appeared they ran the same play Saturday and he did it again and got away with an egregious hold grabbing a rusher he allowed to come free on a long Cook run.   Later got a stupid hands to face penalty.   He's been a sh*t show since he got to Buffalo and it will be quite the feat if he overcomes all of it.........his poor attitude and lack of accountability(see Dawkins comments), his lack of athleticism(see his woeful RAS) AND his propensity for mental errors.   The latter will be the hardest to overcome because it's not just one thing.......he is both slow to recognize the action in front of him AND he has a bad temper which costs him as well.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He looks more active but it's the mental side of the game that he has still sucked at.   He whiffed on a block after an assignment error in the opener that lead to James Cook getting tackled for little gain on what was an otherwise well blocked play with big potential..........and then it appeared they ran the same play Saturday and he did it again and got away with an egregious hold grabbing a rusher he allowed to come free on a long Cook run.   Later got a stupid hands to face penalty.   He's been a sh*t show since he got to Buffalo and it will be quite the feat if he overcomes all of it.........his poor attitude and lack of accountability(see Dawkins comments), his lack of athleticism(see his woeful RAS) AND his propensity for mental errors.   The latter will be the hardest to overcome because it's not just one thing.......he is both slow to recognize the action in front of him AND he has a bad temper which costs him as well.

interesting. i need to go find dawkins comments.

this really puts in perspective what i have seen. i guess seeing a player who has stunk end up stinking a little less really was enough to impress me. perhaps i need to go back and hold an honest weight to him because up until now i was impressed with his growth... which now in hindsight seems like it was relative to his previous quality of play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I realize the Blackshear hype train is now at unstoppable speed, but comparing an undrafted guy that has only played against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the preseason to a hall of famer like Thurman!?  

Blackshear is this year's Christian Wade.

• Agree 2

I have a lot of hope for Cook. The one concern I have so far is he reminds of CJ Spiller. The way he plays and the way he is wired. Does not seem to get very amped up and hard to tell how much he wants it. 

Edited by ngbills

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I have a lot of hope for Cook. The one concern I have so far is he reminds of CJ Spiller. The way he plays and the way he is wired. Does not seem to get very amped up and hard to tell how much he wants it. 

That’s fair, but the team is far ahead of that team in terms of talent, motivation, and leadership. 

I trust that the team and coaches know what they need to and will play him accordingly. If he doesn’t seem like he “wants it” I don’t see them playing him in big spots. Also, Josh doesn’t strike me as the type that would let that fly. If they’re on board, I’m on board. They know where his heads at a lot better than we do. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Some people here in FSU land said the same thing about Dalvin when got here. Boy, were they proven wrong. They are laid back dudes. I, for one, do not question James' motivation or how much he wants it. This post reminds me of the "Stephon Gilmore doesn't smile enough" gang here at TBD. You know who you are. In a word: ridiculous!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.