James Cook is going to be a major problem

78thealltimegreat

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

He also adds an element they were targeting even back in FA with the guy from Washington. We needed a natural pass catcher, and more speed in the backfield. I want to see Cook take those seams where Singletary gets 10-15 yards…..and turn it into 7 points. Sorry defense, you’re back on the field. First world problems! 

Thats the catch eh Aug ?

Bills are passing Team by nature. Can Cook be that guy early in his rookie season ? Lets ask Ken Dorsey :)

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

returned the first kickoff in the opener versus Colts and had that familiar "don't want to do this" look doing it.

This freaking killed me with laughter.

Yes, I guess running the ball back against an onslaught of vicious defenders is not conducive to self-preservation. Can’t blame him. 🥴

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have this weird feeling about cook... That it almost seems like the bills are hiding him.

Between reports of how great he's looked, my own eyes telling me he's dangerous, and the fact he's a rookie but has gotten SO few touches in the preseason, makes me think maybe they are holding their cards close to the vest and he's in for major playing time this year.

Interesting that the rookie has less touches than the other RBs. Without looking at the stats, probably similar touches to Singletary but markedly less than moss (and of course blackshear).

I would not be entirely surprised if moss was a surprise cut.

I for one, doubt it, but do think it is in the realm of possibilty.

Like…. Why not?

Blackshear has easily outperformed him plus return kicks like he has been doing it all his life. The one thing I don’t know is if he can block. He’s pretty small but so was the Thurmanator. So… we don’t know if he can block or not. The way he does everything else, I would not be very surprised if he could block just fine. The kid is a natural.

I think most people don’t see a path because of two things. Moss was a third round pick and Beane talks up Moss every chance he gets.  Trust your eyes, Blackshear can play in this league and play well. I know it’s just preseason but he looks so damn natural….

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I for one, doubt it, but do think it is in the realm of possibilty.

Like…. Why not?

Blackshear has easily outperformed him plus return kicks like he has been doing it all his life. The one thing I don’t know is if he can block. He’s pretty small but so was the Thurmanator. So… we don’t know if he can block or not. The way he does everything else, I would not be very surprised if he could block just fine. The kid is a natural.

I think most people don’t see a path because of two things. Moss was a third round pick and Beane talks up Moss every chance he gets.  Trust your eyes, Blackshear can play in this league and play well. I know it’s just preseason but he looks so damn natural….

Explain the “clearly outplaying him” part. Who is he clearly outplaying, and how so? As has been said repeatedly, Blackshear looks good, but he’s playing mostly against guys who will be cut or on the PS. Cook had looked great and Miss scored twice yesterday…there’s also that little thing of both of these guys keep going up against the 1’s and 2’s 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I am suggesting they keep 3 and Cook as one of them
But dressing3 for game day is less likely

Gotcha. I’m saying that it’s highly unlikely that they took a running back in the second round only to inactivate him on Sundays.  

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Cook has a skill the other two rbs don't have.

He could be our Clyde Edward's Hellaire

I hope not. I hope he’s actually good.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Was thinking that the other.  Motor is easily or best rusher imo.  Moss is improved but I wouldn’t want to trade our best rb…. THIS season, of all seasons.  That would be cocky and we’d probably rue the day. 

Motor looks great.  

I’d keep them all.   Agreed.  Unless some other team is offering something stupid like a 1st.  

13 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Should I pick him up in Fantasy?

I would.   Good bench stash if you have a lot of bench positions.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have this weird feeling about cook... That it almost seems like the bills are hiding him.

Between reports of how great he's looked, my own eyes telling me he's dangerous, and the fact he's a rookie but has gotten SO few touches in the preseason, makes me think maybe they are holding their cards close to the vest and he's in for major playing time this year.

Interesting that the rookie has less touches than the other RBs. Without looking at the stats, probably similar touches to Singletary but markedly less than moss (and of course blackshear).

I would not be entirely surprised if moss was a surprise cut.

So that would make it not a surprise cut , right?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think you could see that change .. and I’m not saying give him a big contract.  

We can’t afford a Kamara contract on this team because we have a QB.

Hence why I said potentially. 

That being said .. this is a new breed of RB.   James Cook has legitimate WR skills.  He isn’t Zeke, Chubb, Taylor or Henry and we should never ever consider paying one of them.  

If James Cook evolves to a point where half his snaps are in the backfield and half are in the slot or out wide, I think you start to view him differently. 

Like Deebo?

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I really like what I see from Cook.  What is going to be so funny to see is how this board has posters who melt down when he

starts the season not dressing.  Devin and Zack will dress to start the season and if Jones is dressing for STs it's a numbers game.

Be patient Bills fans, we won't see a lot of him until later in the year.

If this were to happen, it'll tell me all I need to know about this coaching staff.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Gotcha. I’m saying that it’s highly unlikely that they took a running back in the second round only to inactivate him on Sundays.  

I hope not. I hope he’s actually good.

If memory serves me right weren't you pounding the table for CEH pre draft? 

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think you could see that change .. and I’m not saying give him a big contract.  

We can’t afford a Kamara contract on this team because we have a QB.

Hence why I said potentially. 

That being said .. this is a new breed of RB.   James Cook has legitimate WR skills.  He isn’t Zeke, Chubb, Taylor or Henry and we should never ever consider paying one of them.  

If James Cook evolves to a point where half his snaps are in the backfield and half are in the slot or out wide, I think you start to view him differently. 

With the QB we have, I would rather have a RB like Cook than a leadback like Zeke.

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

1) first run and 3rd run or 4th run, I forget but mostly first

He didn't show patience. A little more patience be could have seen the stunt by the OL tell him he could have bounced it to the side.

2) this lack of patience is evident and shows that he doesn't yet posses the skill to read a developing play at the speed necessary yet

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

If memory serves me right weren't you pounding the table for CEH pre draft? 

Your memory doesn't serve you right.  I haven't wanted a RB in the 1st round in decades, much less CEH.  And the Bills traded their 1st rounder in 2020 for Diggs (the day you joined, as luck would have it) anyway. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

1) first run and 3rd run or 4th run, I forget but mostly first

He didn't show patience. A little more patience be could have seen the stunt by the OL tell him he could have bounced it to the side.

2) this lack of patience is evident and shows that he doesn't yet posses the skill to read a developing play at the speed necessary yet

If that showed me anything, it showed 74 really finishing a bunch blocks for the first time in his career.

hmmmmmm...... 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.