James Cook is going to be a major problem

78thealltimegreat

49 minutes ago, uninja said:

2rb sets with Singletary and Cook are gonna be lethal. Can’t stack the box or Cook gets the edge and takes off. Spread the front 7 and force them to defend the edge and Singletary slashes up the middle for 5-10yrds. Play action off that and it’s easy first downs all day long. 

I think moss and cook is also a great combo for similar reasons and then some. Moss has been used as a FB by the bills before. That and moss is the best pass blocker of the RBs with some upside sliding out into a route (obviously nothing like cook). 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm too sore and tired to think, someone explain the 35 in a 45 thing to me.

Idk. I thought maybe it looks like he's going 35 mph in a 45. But he's really going 45. Basically he's running faster than it look like because he runs smooth, like gliding. 

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have this weird feeling about cook... That it almost seems like the bills are hiding him.

Between reports of how great he's looked, my own eyes telling me he's dangerous, and the fact he's a rookie but has gotten SO few touches in the preseason, makes me think maybe they are holding their cards close to the vest and he's in for major playing time this year.

Interesting that the rookie has less touches than the other RBs. Without looking at the stats, probably similar touches to Singletary but markedly less than moss (and of course blackshear).

I would not be entirely surprised if moss was a surprise cut.

Moss won't be cut and how are the Bills hiding Cook? He played in both preseason games

Gonna be the voice of dissent.  In the preseason, it's been 7 runs and 2 catches and they have all looked.......fine......but not special.  Even in the video above, he simply followed his blocks and broke one crappy arm tackle. Not exactly a special play.  Holding off on the accolades until he shows me more. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What is going to be so funny to see is how this board has posters who melt down when he

starts the season not dressing. 

No chance Cook is a gameday inactive. He is going to be a big part of this offense and give the backfield some versatility that it's been sorely lacking the past couple seasons. Yesterday was just a taste. We haven't seen him split out wide or in the slot yet. If anything I expect him to be used more often early in games when we're running up the score, while Singletary and Moss will be the primary RBs late in game when we're running out the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Idk. I thought maybe it looks like he's going 35 mph in a 45. But he's really going 45. Basically he's running faster than it look like because he runs smooth, like gliding. 

I thought maybe like a 4.35 40 while looking like he's doing a 4.45 40.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I can't wait to see him on a wheel route matched up against a LB and Allen drops it in the bucket 50 yards down field with the LB hopelessly trailing on the play and no safety in the picture

You’re not getting enough time in the NFL for a wheel route to get 50 yards down the field in the League

You split him wide pre play and he runs a 9 route on a LBr

8 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Even in the video above, he simply followed his blocks and broke one crappy arm tackle. Not exactly a special play. 

He didn't just follow his blocks... he sped past them. The reason for the arm tackle is that Cook got to that spot too fast for the LB to recover and square up for the tackle. We've seen Singletary and Moss try to run wide zone. It doesn't look like that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, uninja said:

2rb sets with Singletary and Cook are gonna be lethal. Can’t stack the box or Cook gets the edge and takes off. Spread the front 7 and force them to defend the edge and Singletary slashes up the middle for 5-10yrds. Play action off that and it’s easy first downs all day long. 

Great post

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Gonna be the voice of dissent.  In the preseason, it's been 7 runs and 2 catches and they have all looked.......fine......but not special.  Even in the video above, he simply followed his blocks and broke one crappy arm tackle. Not exactly a special play.  Holding off on the accolades until he shows me more. 

Running is about hitting the hole and making a cut and getting 7 to 15 yards.  We've seen Cook do that, so he's shown he can play running back. He hasn't been used yet in places where he might explode. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Running is about hitting the hole and making a cut and getting 7 to 15 yards.  We've seen Cook do that, so he's shown he can play running back. He hasn't been used yet in places where he might explode. 

Agreed.  He can hit the hole and make the cut.  Required in the NFL.  I'm still waiting for that WOW play.  Looking for something on the level of the the precision and polish that Shakir has shown at WR against starting DBs.. 

Edited by ChicagoRic

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Hopefully he can do it for three to four hours every week.

If he does it for more than 12, they'll have to bring him to the Blue Medical Tent.

15 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

The thing that Cook brings to the Bills is home run ability, which the team is sorely lacking in.

During his 3 years in college Cook had gains of 23, 24 ,25 ,39 ,40 ,21 ,67 ,23 ,53 ,44 ,82 ,46 ,37 and 37 yards in 248 touches.

Chunk yardage, especially in the run game is a rare and valued commodity.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No chance Cook is a gameday inactive. He is going to be a big part of this offense and give the backfield some versatility that it's been sorely lacking the past couple seasons. Yesterday was just a taste. We haven't seen him split out wide or in the slot yet. If anything I expect him to be used more often early in games when we're running up the score, while Singletary and Moss will be the primary RBs late in game when we're running out the clock.

@Doc disagreed with me too.  It's not that I don't want Cook dressing every game but if Jones, Kumerow, Matakevich and others dress

for ST only someone is put in the position not to dress.  History also shows McDermott will sit rookies more than others.

I don't want it to happen, I just think it will.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.