Could OJ Howard be on the trade block?

Inigo Montoya

The Bills guaranteed $3.195 million of his $3.5 million contract. They get barely any cap savings if he is released or traded, taking most of the contract in dead money.

I don't see the benefit for the Bills in moving on from him, from a cap standpoint.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Reading an article in The Athletic by Joe Buscaglia today and it mentioned OJ Howard;

"Once Allen had adjourned to the sidelines, Howard’s playing time began against the Broncos. Howard, Morris and Sweeney continued to rotate in at tight end, but Howard played more snaps than any of them. Howard took 34 offensive snaps (56 percent) by my unofficial count. He took advantage of a red zone opportunity by bringing in a touchdown at the end of the half. But you have to wonder if the extended time for Howard was the Bills putting their best foot forward to showcase the tight end for a potential trade."

https://theathletic.com/3524600/2022/08/20/observations-bills-win-broncos/

With Quentin Morris having a strong camp and roster spots being at a premium, moving Howard before the season starts opens up a spot for a young player that the Bills would probably lose trying to place on the practice squad like Spector, Blackshear, Brandin Bryant, or Isaiah Hodgins.  Trading Howard would also take about $2 million off the books this year.

Spector in particular might be worth locking up on the 53 man roster.   Edmonds, Matakevich, and Andre Smith are all UFAs after this season and Tyrel Dodson will be a RFA.  Will Beane really want to let Spector walk when he has flashed all camp and preseason?  It becomes a lot easier to use a roster spot and keep an extra LB or one of the other guys listed above if they trade Howard.  Beane's roster is deep and players he cuts this year are going to end up playing on other teams.  I'm sure he would rather trade than cut and get some value in return.  

While Howard might be traded, I think Moss also could be, (or even Singletary). It’s nice to have a surplus and if the price is right, they’re for sale. I love seeing the rookies shine, however we cannot get too enamored with shiny new toys when the core is most important in a Super Bowl run. As an example, if nobody offers a decent price for Howard, it’s likely he stays and either Sweeney or Morris, (or both) are released.

Fans might cry over a guy like Blackshear being released, but other clubs are also in the same, albeit weaker place. They aren’t going to claim an unproven guy on cutdown day just because he is available. He wouldn’t know their playbook and might not fit their locker room going into the season. You just don’t know. Then we can pick him back up for the PS. Instead, you keep the vets and if need be, make changes during the season. The expanded PS helps make this a much greater tool. So, the risk is worth the reward in most cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills guaranteed $3.195 million of his $3.5 million contract. They get barely any cap savings if he is released or traded, taking most of the contract in dead money.

I don't see the benefit for the Bills in moving on from him, from a cap standpoint.

I don't pretend to be a cap or contract guru but the article said that if the Bills traded him the new team would then pick up his $2 million guaranteed contract on their books and that $2 million would come off the Bills' books. The Bills are on the hook for the signing bonus they already paid him.  If they release him outright, which is unlikely, the Bills would eat the entire contract.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think OJ Howard is going anywhere, but Tommy Sweeney might just as well get fitted now for a Giants jersey.  

I get that the locker room loves Sweeney, but at some point, they guy has to show that he can actually play.

We're not keeping 3 TE's.  OJ has a cost-prohibitive contract, and Morris has also flashed more long-term potential than Sweeney as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMO, I hope they keep him. They don’t need TE2 to be a playmaker but a consistent blocker and if his number is called someone who is reliable. Both of which Howard is better than who is competing with. Yesterday his blocking directly contributed to some big runs. The Bills have lots of weapons on offense and don’t need him to catch 30 balls this year. Howard is also new to the team so maybe his playing time is getting him more reps outside of practice.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think they need O.J. Howard.  Putting two TEs on the field will create mismatch for this offense.   I don't think Sweeney or Morris is that 2nd TE.

What has Howard shown to suggest he will be? From all accounts he has looked old and slow.

Edited by Big Turk

Howard was a positive yesterday....  We're definitely keeping him because option 3 and 4 don't come anywhere's close to surplanting him..  

TE will be a priority... again...  next spring IMO

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, uninja said:

I don’t see how we have any leverage to trade him for anything. He’s a vested vet with 5 accrued seasons and would be a FA of released.

Any team could just wait for us to release him, foist us with the cap hit and then sign him. We’d basically be paying for him to play elsewhere. 

yeah I say keep him.. they kind of need to be going for it the next couple years b4 the roster starts falling apart due to the salary cap

I think we need Howard. Not for 2 TE sets, but for if Knox misses games. Knox plays like a madman and gets banged up a lot. We already saw that Sweeney is not a viable option as the only TE. Morris is an undrafted rookie, he seems like a good player but isn't ready for that role yet on team with super bowl hopes. We knew all along that Howard isn't the guy he was prior to the achilles injury, but he's the only TE on the roster who can be a weapon in the pass game if Knox gets hurt.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Lots of people on the trade block

I'd be surprised if there were no trades, and it would be really unusual if there were more than one or two, but really, look at the list:

A tight end.

Hodgins

A running back

A defensive lineman

An offensive lineman

Cam Lewis or another defensive back

Haack

I mean, there are guys all over this roster who could interest teams.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

While Howard might be traded, I think Moss also could be, (or even Singletary). It’s nice to have a surplus and if the price is right, they’re for sale. I love seeing the rookies shine, however we cannot get too enamored with shiny new toys when the core is most important in a Super Bowl run. As an example, if nobody offers a decent price for Howard, it’s likely he stays and either Sweeney or Morris, (or both) are released.

Fans might cry over a guy like Blackshear being released, but other clubs are also in the same, albeit weaker place. They aren’t going to claim an unproven guy on cutdown day just because he is available. He wouldn’t know their playbook and might not fit their locker room going into the season. You just don’t know. Then we can pick him back up for the PS. Instead, you keep the vets and if need be, make changes during the season. The expanded PS helps make this a much greater tool. So, the risk is worth the reward in most cases.

I do know this….

there are 31 other GMs in the league. Beane isn’t the only guy that knew a guy like Blackshear existed. He just happens to the the one that called him first, or gave him the best offer after the draft was over. I can guarantee other GMs liked at him. And maybe they didn’t think the kid had the play in him at this level. But now they are seeing it on the field in pre season and  they now know their initial instincts were right. 

If Blackshear is cut, he will end up somewhere. He’s looked too good. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

What has Howard shown to suggest he will be? From all accounts he has looked old and slow.

What Howard showed yesterday was a big body that was an effective blocker and a big target in the red zone.

The Bills will likely use him in goal-line and short yardage situations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.