Could OJ Howard be on the trade block?

Inigo Montoya

Reading an article in The Athletic by Joe Buscaglia today and it mentioned OJ Howard;

"Once Allen had adjourned to the sidelines, Howard’s playing time began against the Broncos. Howard, Morris and Sweeney continued to rotate in at tight end, but Howard played more snaps than any of them. Howard took 34 offensive snaps (56 percent) by my unofficial count. He took advantage of a red zone opportunity by bringing in a touchdown at the end of the half. But you have to wonder if the extended time for Howard was the Bills putting their best foot forward to showcase the tight end for a potential trade."

https://theathletic.com/3524600/2022/08/20/observations-bills-win-broncos/

With Quentin Morris having a strong camp and roster spots being at a premium, moving Howard before the season starts opens up a spot for a young player that the Bills would probably lose trying to place on the practice squad like Spector, Blackshear, Brandin Bryant, or Isaiah Hodgins.  Trading Howard would also take about $2 million off the books this year.

Spector in particular might be worth locking up on the 53 man roster.   Edmonds, Matakevich, and Andre Smith are all UFAs after this season and Tyrel Dodson will be a RFA.  Will Beane really want to let Spector walk when he has flashed all camp and preseason?  It becomes a lot easier to use a roster spot and keep an extra LB or one of the other guys listed above if they trade Howard.  Beane's roster is deep and players he cuts this year are going to end up playing on other teams.  I'm sure he would rather trade than cut and get some value in return.  

• Like (+1) 6

It’s possible Inigo, and it would save us I think Sal said about $2 mil., but Howard showed why we picked him up in that contested TD catch.  It’s possible he stays for exactly that purpose.  If Knox gets hurt, they’ll want Boward as insurance more than Morris.

Well find out in two weeks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s possible Inigo, and it would save us I think Sal said about $2 mil., but Howard showed why we picked him up in that contested TD catch.  It’s possible he stays for exactly that purpose.  If Knox gets hurt, they’ll want Boward as insurance more than Morris.

It looks like OJ Howard is a pretty good blocker too. I'd be happy if he's traded or if he stays.

In McBeane I trust.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Reading an article in The Athletic by Joe Buscaglia today and it mentioned OJ Howard;

"Once Allen had adjourned to the sidelines, Howard’s playing time began against the Broncos. Howard, Morris and Sweeney continued to rotate in at tight end, but Howard played more snaps than any of them. Howard took 34 offensive snaps (56 percent) by my unofficial count. He took advantage of a red zone opportunity by bringing in a touchdown at the end of the half. But you have to wonder if the extended time for Howard was the Bills putting their best foot forward to showcase the tight end for a potential trade."

With Quentin Morris having a strong camp and roster spots being at a premium, moving Howard before the season starts opens up a spot for a young player that the Bills would probably lose trying to place on the practice squad like Spector, Blackshear, Brandin Bryant, or Isaiah Hodgins.  Trading Howard would also take about $2 million off the books this year.

Spector in particular might be worth locking up on the 53 man roster.   Edmonds, Matakevich, and Andre Smith are all UFAs after this season and Tyrel Dodson will be a RFA.  Will Beane really want to let Spector walk when he has flashed all camp and preseason?  It becomes a lot easier to use a roster spot and keep an extra LB or one of the other guys listed above if they trade Howard.  Beane's roster is deep and players he cuts this year are going to end up playing on other teams.  I'm sure he would rather trade than cut and get some value in return.  

I say no,  other teams could of signed him during free agency.  Why would they give up draft capital now if they were that interested?  Very rare to do sign a free agents and then trade them that same year.

Just now, ganesh said:

I think they need O.J. Howard.  Putting two TEs on the field will create mismatch for this offense.   I don't think Sweeney or Morris is that 2nd TE.

I agree and I don't see much quality pass catching depth behind Knox

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Based on what your saying,  teams could load up on draft picks by signing free agents in March and then trading them before the season.

One other way to look at it that the offense has a lot of weapons for Josh to throw the ball to.  They are going to be looking for ways to get Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder, Shakir, (maybe Hodgins) and Knox on the field.  That's before you add pass catching backs like Cook and Duke.  Maybe they would be willing to let a pass catcher like OJ Howard go because they have enough pass catching depth on the roster to absorb those reps.

I don’t see how we have any leverage to trade him for anything. He’s a vested vet with 5 accrued seasons and would be a FA of released.

Any team could just wait for us to release him, foist us with the cap hit and then sign him. We’d basically be paying for him to play elsewhere. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, TBBills said:

For what an 8th round pick? Who would take a guy that has never returned to his old self after his injury... especially with a contract.

The Bills signed him. 

It's a one year contract and the Bills are on the hook for the signing bonus portion of the contract giving the next team a bit of a discount on the signing.  It would cost around $2 million for a team to sign him this year.

I don't think it's a prohibitive contract for a team to take on if they need some help in their TE room.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

Howard, Hauck, Duke, Lawson all on trade block IMO.  GMen- what are you offering?  Broncos need a punter too.  Send us those 6th round draft picks!

I suspect the Bills prefer both Sweeney and Morris over OJ

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, uninja said:

I don’t see how we have any leverage to trade him for anything. He’s a vested vet with 5 accrued seasons and would be a FA of released.

Any team could just wait for us to release him, foist us with the cap hit and then sign him. We’d basically be paying for him to play elsewhere. 

If a team is interested in obtaining Howard, a trade for him guarantees the acquisition, whereas that interested team may not be a team Howard would sign with as a free agent. 

• Agree 1

Tommy Sweeney has shown little to warrant keeping him and/or worry about him being signed by another team to their 53-man roster.  He can easily be cut and put on the PS. 

I have 3 of the 4 players the OP mentioned making the roster (not Bryant), but at the expense of the mostly-ST'ers like Kumerow and Jones.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.