Cuts vs Drought

TheyCallMeAndy

Here’s a fun little game to get us by the next few weeks: which 2022 cuts could’ve made a roster during the drought era? Who could’ve even been a starter? 

We only have a few cuts to this point, but I definitely feel like M. Lee competes for a starting LB role on some of those Chan teams. 

Side note, 2022 Case Keenum would’ve been one of the better QBs we had during that stretch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just look at our initial 53 man roster Allen's rookie year at WR.  Foster, Jones, Holmes, Kerley, and McCloud do not make this team.  Benjamin maybe.

I don’t even think Biscuit makes this team either. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t even think Biscuit makes this team either. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Just look at our initial 53 man roster Allen's rookie year at WR.  Foster, Jones, Holmes, Kerley, and McCloud do not make this team.  Benjamin maybe.

That brings up another fun game… does the best player on each drought team start on this current team? 🤔

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

That brings up another fun game… does the best player on each drought team start on this current team? 🤔

Kyle starts as DT.  Several of the guards as well depending on how well they adjust to Coach McD team philosphy.  Eric Wood would have no trouble fitting in but Icognito?

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Jason Peters at LT and Marshawn Lynch at RB certainly would have. Both were Pro Bowlers when on the Bills, and went on to be All Pros.  Peters had a HOF career.  Lynch may become a HOFer, too.

The problem with the teams during the drought wasn't that they lacked good/great players (except during the Russ Brandon/Dick Jauron regime).  It was that the Bills refused to hire top class HCs and assistants coupled with their disinterest in re-signing the talented young players they developed.  Numerous former Bills players from drought teams went on to play in the Super Bowl, and some of them were instrumental in their teams'  Super Bowl wins. Virtually none of the Bills former HCs or assistants went on to coach on good teams.  Off hand, I can think of only 2 -- Perry Fewell and Anthony Lynn.

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Virtually none of the Bills former HCs or assistants went on to coach on good teams.  Off hand, I can think of only 2 -- Perry Fewell and Anthony Lynn.

Other than that one playoff run where they smoked the Ravens with rookie Lamar and then got torched by Brady for daring to play zone defense against him I don’t think I’d call Lynn a coach who coached good teams.

He had a great Chargers team and underperformed. Some of his in game situational clock management was criminally bad.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Here’s a fun little game to get us by the next few weeks: which 2022 cuts could’ve made a roster during the drought era? Who could’ve even been a starter? 

We only have a few cuts to this point, but I definitely feel like M. Lee competes for a starting LB role on some of those Chan teams. 

Side note, 2022 Case Keenum would’ve been one of the better QBs we had during that stretch.

All of them.  Not only starters, they would have made the Bills WoF.  

Jairus Byrd was franchise tagged in 2013. (yeah, a lot of that had to do with overall roster strategy, but still) Think about that for a minute.

On second thought, don't bother.

He would be a backup safety on this team.

But it's not like those drought teams were without talent. James Cook dreams of having the start (but not the finish) to his NFL career that CJ Spiller had. Devin Singletary is the poor man's Fred Jackson. Dion Dawkins is good, but not prime Jason Peters good. Prime Stephon Gilmore is prime Tre White good. Hell, even rookie Kiko Alonso (before he broke down) would find plenty of snaps available somewhere on this team.

By the way, amazing how many of these guys I just mentioned had their Bills careers end badly. In retrospect, was it really about those players, or was it about an inept organization frustrating the hell out of these players?

Thank goodness that's all history now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I feel concerned that we are going to make a mistake and cut Crowder. That guy starts for almost every Bills team of the drought 

It’s tough because you know we aren’t seeing the full playbook in preseason. However, Crowders had the same opportunities as Shakir and it’s not even a competition on the field.  If you didn’t know their histories and just watched their output, Shakir is the runaway favorite to make the team.  With McKenzie seemingly locked as our slot receiver, I don’t know that I’m paying Crowder to be the 4/5 receiver 

I’m more concerned about the rumors of them released Kumerow because of how well Hodgins looks.  I don’t trust his injury history. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Singletary, Moss, Cook, Blackshear, Duke are all better than anyone not named McCoy from the 2018 team at the RB position.

2018 yes, not 2017. Shady was like 80% of the bills offense in 17

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It’s tough because you know we aren’t seeing the full playbook in preseason. However, Crowders had the same opportunities as Shakir and it’s not even a competition on the field.  If you didn’t know their histories and just watched their output, Shakir is the runaway favorite to make the team.  With McKenzie seemingly locked as our slot receiver, I don’t know that I’m paying Crowder to be the 4/5 receiver 

I’m more concerned about the rumors of them released Kumerow because of how well Hodgins looks.  I don’t trust his injury history. 

Kumerow has been here a while and has done nothing on offense. He is a special teamer. I think the real question is, can the bills afford to lose him on special teams and can hodgins fill that void 

• Like (+1) 2

People act like we were a college team during the drought lol 

Over the 17 years we had periods of having good talent on the team … but no qb 

we’ve had guys like Eric wood and incognito on the line … levitre 

lynch , Jackson , spiller , shady at RB

Bob woods , Harvin , Goodwin , Stevie j, lee evans at WR 

great defensive secondaries 

really good defensive lines 

What we didn’t have was a quarterback

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.