Blackshear isn't going anywhere!

RunJoshRun

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Seems like every season fans fall in love with a UDFA/Practice Squad RB and proclaims that he MUST make the roster because we can't sneak them on the Practice Squad. And then we do. Throughout the league, there's RB's who impress late in the game against other UDFA/Practice Squad players.

But when you're playing that late in the game, playing for that long, and being run into the ground as hard as he's been - it speaks just as much to them not wanting to risk others getting hurt and not having the same concern for him as it does them giving him serious consideration.

Throughout McDermott and Beane's tenure here, they've only ever kept 3 RB's. The 4th "RB" (whether it be Taiwan Jones or Senorise Perry) has always been a core Special Teams player. They don't count. Jones isn't going anywhere and even if he were, his roster spot would just go to whichever position the player who was replacing him on Special Teams is designated as.

As good as Blackshear has looked in his opportunities against other UDFA/PS players, he's not going to be kept over Devin Singletary, James Cook, or Zack Moss. There's simply not a place for him on the 53, unless someone made an offer for Moss and we took it.

Raheem Blackshear has earned the right to replace Antonio Williams on the Practice Squad. He'll be released and I'd be shocked if he was claimed by someone else for their 53 man roster. If he were to be, I'd imagine they'd be happy for him. But I have no doubt he'll be back with the team on the Practice Squad.

we are going to hold you to that !

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

no doubt he'll be back with the team on the Practice Squad.

35 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

no doubt he'll be back with the team on the Practice Squad.

Beane and McDermott have only carried 3 true RB's on the 53 and then they stash 1 or 2 on the PS. Of those 3, they only dress 2 on Sunday's and the 3rd only comes in if there's an injury or poor performance by one of the regular 2. Those spots are set in stone by Singletary, Cook, and Moss.

I have little doubt Blackshear will be signed to a 53. I have no doubt that BOTH he and Duke Johnson will be. One or both will be back on our Practice Squad and I don't think they're stressing the possibility that one of them gets scooped up. 

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just no dude. He is doing stuff against 3rd stringers and guys who won't be in the league.

People just can't understand context.

Okay i get what your saying but just to make it to or be considered for the NFL you have to be some what of a elite athlete correct ?

If that is true and this player is making plays then why not at least give this player a chance to play against the 1's or a roster spot to see he can always be put back on the PS at any time because he would be a rookie .

Look at some of the best undrafted players that became great players some even HOF players .

Jeff Saturday

London Fletcher

Nate Newton

Tony Romo 

Jason Peters 

Wes Welker 

Priest Holmes 

Adam Vinateri 

John Randle 

Just saying where would these guys be if not at least been given a chance ...

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, T master said:

Okay i get what your saying but just to make it to or be considered for the NFL you have to be some what of a elite athlete correct ?

If that is true and this player is making plays then why not at least give this player a chance to play against the 1's or a roster spot to see he can always be put back on the PS at any time because he would be a rookie .

Look at some of the best undrafted players that became great players some even HOF players .

Jeff Saturday

London Fletcher

Nate Newton

Tony Romo 

Jason Peters 

Wes Welker 

Priest Holmes 

Adam Vinateri 

John Randle 

Saturday is a fun story - seems like he was never given a chance post-draft and he made them pay.

London Fletcher made it as a backup on a 4-12 Rams team

Newton played in the USFL 

Romo sat for like 3 years as a 3rd string and backup QB

Peters was a practice squad TE before he made the active roster as a RT

Welker was released once, and then played special teams his first 2 years to maintain roster relevance

Holmes played special teams in his first year or two

Vinateri is a kicker

Randle is an interesting example - but it was 1990.  I feel like scouting has advanced a bit since then.  

57 minutes ago, T master said:

Jeff Saturday

London Fletcher

Nate Newton

Tony Romo 

Jason Peters 

Wes Welker 

Priest Holmes 

Adam Vinateri 

John Randle 

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, they are NOT a priority position, and ESPECIALLY not in this offense.  If the Bills release Blackshear and he gets picked up by another team, they could go out and find someone else without much trouble who would be roughly the same player. The ONLY way he is making this team is if they think he isn't much of a dropoff in terms of ST from Taiwan Jones, which is unlikely as Jones is an exceptional ST player. Other than that, why are you keeping a player who is going to be inactive every game?

Edited by Big Turk

On 8/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, Big Turk said:

No.

Every year we get posters like OP who think Duke Williams, Antonio Williams and whatever other random training camp and preseason star will be the next big thing on the team...

They never come to fruition.

Smart to not mention TBD forum god Brandon Reilly. You don't dare besmirch his good name!

On 8/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Why are we trading for picks? We want to win this year. If anything I trade picks for players this year if u needed help at TE or Guard or something.

I'm in agreement, I don't think we should trade our players for picks. Makes no sense.

12 hours ago, T master said:

Jeff Saturday

London Fletcher

Nate Newton

Tony Romo 

Jason Peters 

Wes Welker 

Priest Holmes 

Adam Vinateri 

John Randle 

12 hours ago, T master said:

Jeff Saturday

London Fletcher

Nate Newton

Tony Romo 

Jason Peters 

Wes Welker 

Priest Holmes 

Adam Vinateri 

John Randle 

I'm afraid Blackshear is a special player and being undrafted doesn't matter

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, they are NOT a priority position, and ESPECIALLY not in this offense.  If the Bills release Blackshear and he gets picked up by another team, they could go out and find someone else without much trouble who would be roughly the same player. The ONLY way he is making this team is if they think he isn't much of a dropoff in terms of ST from Taiwan Jones, which is unlikely as Jones is an exceptional ST player. Other than that, why are you keeping a player who is going to be inactive every game?

The Bills haven't had a true running game since McCoy left.  Give Josh a break

23 minutes ago, SBbeliever said:

I'm afraid Blackshear is a special player and being undrafted doesn't matter

The Bills haven't had a true running game since McCoy left.  Give Josh a break

It’s ok to feel good about your son ms blackshear 

And the bills haven’t had a line that could run Block well for years

On 8/20/2022 at 10:57 PM, RunJoshRun said:

Bills coach Sean McDermott said the rookie has impressed so far.

“He’s got great juice,” McDermott said. “You can just feel him when he’s out there. You feel the burst, whether it’s in the return game or when he’s carrying the ball on offense or catching the ball out of the backfield. He plays his role.”

He has the potential to be a very special player.  I like Singeltary & Moss as good, steady RB's.  But they don't have super-star potential.  Neither of them has showed that in their careers with the Bills.

Blackshear has that potential!

In the sense that he'll be released, unclaimed, and brought back to our Practice Squad - sure, he's not going anywhere.

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'd rather have him on the roster than Moss at least to this point when he does touch the ball he's got something like a 10 ypc average in one game and seems to have a lot better burst & vision than Moss we know exactly what Moss is which is okay but i think they can do better in a back up RB . 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.