Blackshear isn't going anywhere!

RunJoshRun

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Taiwan Jones is 34 years old.  That has to figure into the decision.

Agreed…Also, Singletary is in the final year of his contract…

RB group could be Moss, Cook, and Blackshear next season- which could be very exciting…👍

Hopefully the Bills are considering this as well…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

My biggest concern with Blackshear, is whether or not we can get him onto the practice squad. The better he plays, the less likely that becomes.  
He has been fun to watch, but the rest of our RB’s have looked pretty damn good too.

If i’m not mistaken, isn’t black sheer the one that compared himself to Deebo Samuel?

If it comes down to keeping one of Spector, Lewis, Blackshear and Hodgins .. I can’t believe I’m going RB, but I think Blackshear could fill in seamlessly in the rotations sans-Singletary next year. 

Next year would be Hodgins last rookie year deal and he’d still likely be behind Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Shakir.  The staff has also shown an elite ability to draft mid-round WR’s. 

Spector is solid, but I don’t see him as anything more than depth .. at least from a traits perspective. 

Lewis is a tough one to lose, because he’s a solid slot corner and I think is 100% gone if we cut him. 

That said .. Blackshear also gives us some of what Cook can, which I do believe is incredibly valuable to this Offense when teams try to take away deeper parts of the field and challenge Allen to hand off to the RB or throw short more often. 

Edited by SCBills

33 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Blackshear won’t make the team. You can see the burst and the contact balance but let’s be honest about yesterday. Every Bills RB had a great deal of success from Singletary right on down to Blackshear due to the Oline opening up massive holes. He will 100% be a practice squad guy if he makes it through 

not every RB has Blackshears receiving ability.  Consider him Kamara lite.  What team couldn't use that player?  Duke is similar, and will have success elsewhere.  Blackshear is younger, cheaper, and more upside than Duke

I know this isn't going to happen, but the way to get most value out of the talent the Bills have in the running back room is to trade Cook this week.  Bills could get a third or fourth round pick for him.

Blackshear has really impressed me.   He is like Shakir in the sense that he's been getting solid positive reviews out of training camp all summer, and then when he gets on the field in preseason games, you can see why.  The guy has a really nice burst, he's a fighter, and he seems to have adapted to the offense already.   He's going to play in the league, and I agree with those who think he won't be on the practice squad very long before someone has an injury and signs him.  

And, for that matter, the really smart move would be trade Cook AND Elam next week.   Get a second for Elam and a third for Cook, and the Bills are sitting pretty.   

I know, it's crazy, but if you think back to before the draft, what everyone was saying was the Bills were already so deep that it would be really hard for five or six draft picks to make the team.  Then the Bills signed four defensive linemen and a couple of quality offensive linemen, plus Crowder, and they find themselves with exactly that problem.  They can't all make the team.  So, with Blackshear looking as good as Cook, and Benford looking as good as Elam, the Bills can solve the too-much-depth problem and load up with picks for next year.  If there's too much depth next year, the Bills have ammunition to add to their first-round pick and trade up, or at least to trade up high in the second round.  

The talent at some positions on this team is quite amazing.  

• Eyeroll 2

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wanna know why Moss is an absolute lock I don’t think I agree with that his injuries over the last two years I would think would put him on the bubble I actually think it would make him a great trade candidate because he is a no-name with a very affordable contract

I think they're unlikely to move him, but I think it's specifically Moss who's in the way of Blackshear. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I know this isn't going to happen, but the way to get most value out of the talent the Bills have in the running back room is to trade Cook this week.  Bills could get a third or fourth round pick for him.

Blackshear has really impressed me.   He is like Shakir in the sense that he's been getting solid positive reviews out of training camp all summer, and then when he gets on the field in preseason games, you can see why.  The guy has a really nice burst, he's a fighter, and he seems to have adapted to the offense already.   He's going to play in the league, and I agree with those who think he won't be on the practice squad very long before someone has an injury and signs him.  

And, for that matter, the really smart move would be trade Cook AND Elam next week.   Get a second for Elam and a third for Cook, and the Bills are sitting pretty.   

I know, it's crazy, but if you think back to before the draft, what everyone was saying was the Bills were already so deep that it would be really hard for five or six draft picks to make the team.  Then the Bills signed four defensive linemen and a couple of quality offensive linemen, plus Crowder, and they find themselves with exactly that problem.  They can't all make the team.  So, with Blackshear looking as good as Cook, and Benford looking as good as Elam, the Bills can solve the too-much-depth problem and load up with picks for next year.  If there's too much depth next year, the Bills have ammunition to add to their first-round pick and trade up, or at least to trade up high in the second round.  

Elam has elite traits.   Maybe Benford is the second coming of JC Jackson, but I still believe the future of the secondary is Elam opposite Tre. 

If Blackshear was doing what he did against third stringers, imagine what Cook would do.

Blackshear is a nice back with potential .. Cook is a problem.  If he’s able to keep teams honest with some downhill running, there isn’t a linebacker in the league that can cover him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well this is definitely thinking outside the box.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Elam has elite traits.   Maybe Benford is the second coming of JC Jackson, but I still believe the future of the secondary is Elam opposite Tre. 

If Blackshear was doing what he did against third stringers, imagine what Cook would do.

Blackshear is a nice back with potential .. Cook is a problem.  If he’s able to keep teams honest with some downhill running, there isn’t a linebacker in the league that can cover him. 

Absolutely, the upside of #1 and #2 is better than their challengers, particularly Elam.   I've been assuming that with Elam, the Bills will have two #1 corners for the next three or four seasons.   

Running backs, however, are fungible, and Blackshear might actually give the Bills something close to what Cook will do, because Cook isn't likely to be anything like a true starter, at least not this season.  

What I really was talking about is maximizing the value you get out of the draft.  If there's only a marginal difference in the players, there's significant upside in terms of next year's draft.  

As I said, it isn't happening.  It's just another way to see how much talent is on this roster. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Huh?  Trade a promising 2nd round rookie for a 3rd or 4th?  To keep an UDFA no less?

Edit:  Looking at it, this must be Shaw trolling.  There is no other explanation.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wait what?  You want to trade Cook whose getting rave reviews runing with the ones to keep a guy whose shown some promise on ST or maybe as a backup RB while playing against scrubs and guys who won’t be on NFL rosters in a few weeks?

You do realize Cook has been turning heads while playing all camp mostly with the starters and against starters right?  

I mean Cook is exactly the complimentary RB they sought out from day 1 of the off season to find and he’s not only shown huge potential in that pass catcher role, he’s also shown huge potential running the ball too.  

I don’t understand how anyone would even fathom trading Cook, and for a lower draft pick than we used on him, just to keep a fringe RB fighting for a spot on ST.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Unless the Bills brass are awful at talent evaluation, how could you trade your 1st & 2nd round picks just a few months after drafting them and BEFORE the season has even started?

And all to keep an undrafted guy & hope for the best? Imagine if Elam & Cook go on to become amazing, & the Bills traded them away before they played a snap in the regular season... That's the kind of thing that destroys your legacy & credibility entirely.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Unless the Bills brass are awful at talent evaluation, how could you trade your 1st & 2nd round picks just a few months after drafting them and BEFORE the season has even started?

And all to keep an undrafted guy & hope for the best? Imagine if Elam & Cook go on to become amazing, & the Bills traded them away before they played a snap in the regular season... That's the kind of thing that destroys your legacy & credibility entirely.

Why are we trading for picks? We want to win this year. If anything I trade picks for players this year if u needed help at TE or Guard or something.

The tough decision about a guy like Blackshear is about his potential worth for next year not this year.

Bills have 2 RBs under contract to start next season (Moss-last year of contract and Cook).

If there is no worthy RB coming to camp off the PS, then draft picks and/or FA $s have to be used to fill out the RB room.

In the perfect world he goes to PS and works his way onto the roster next season.  If he gets claimed by another team it's

another hole to be concerned about next season.  It's a tough decision that I know Beane and McDermott discuss all the time.

There is a huge need for "cost effective" players going forward next year.

This also is the same situation a guy like Hodgins is in.  2023 WRs:  Diggs, Davis and Lil Dirty (both on their last year of contracts) and Shakir.

Having 2 extremely strong legged kicker (both drafted) may change the norm of STs.  If that is an option that changes the choices.

I tend to sway this way so I'm just going to watch what Beane and McDermott decide.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.