Blackshear isn't going anywhere!

RunJoshRun

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wanna know why Moss is an absolute lock I don’t think I agree with that his injuries over the last two years I would think would put him on the bubble I actually think it would make him a great trade candidate because he is a no-name with a very affordable contract

Two reasons:

Moss is our only physical running back and I guarantee you McDermott would love to play Neanderthal football more often than we have... as exhibited by the hiring of Aaron Kromer.

This administration has an established track record of giving its draftees every opportunity to establish themselves, with very few exceptions.

The unfortunate thing about Blackshear is that he brings the same things to the table that James Cook does.

That's a roster luxury the Bills can't afford IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wanna know why Moss is an absolute lock I don’t think I agree with that his injuries over the last two years I would think would put him on the bubble I actually think it would make him a great trade candidate because he is a no-name with a very affordable contract

Moss has shown a speed burst this preseason that hasn't really been there before.  Dude is now actually getting to the edge on off-tackle runs.  Clearly he's done a ton of work in the offseason.  You pose an interesting idea that Moss could be trade bait due to his injury history.  I wasn't really looking at that aspect, but of course, McBeane will make any move necessary to make the Bills better.  We'll see what happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Taiwan Jones is one of the best special teams players in the league. It’s not a matter of simply “working as a gunner in practices”. 

Then when was the last time he made an impactful play on special teams? Siran made plenty of great tackles last season, and I don’t think I ever heard an announcer say Taiwan Jones name.

33 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bass and Araiza both have the legs to basically eliminate punt and kick coverage if they wanted to.  

And in regards to our return units, just take a knee/fair catch and give the ball to our offense.  

I’d much rather try to sneak our core special  teamers through the practice squad.  

What good do the core special teamers do on the practice squad?  You do realize they have to be on the active roster to be part of the core of special teams right? 

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Don’t you bring that bad mojo here! No injuries! Change the kids name and let him hide on the P-Squad. I really like the kid, but I think we are talking developmental STA/RB4

I’ll be blunt, the IR is where the team can stash a player when there is a severe hang nail problem…, got it? 

• Disagree 1

I wish Smiley would tell Bass to just pound the damned thing through the endzone and allow us to

stop freaking out about 28 yard kickoff return average vs 23, supposedly caused by Taiwan Jones not being on the field.

Top 5 offense and defense and we have sweaty palms over a kickoff that should be out of the endzone.

Eliminate sweat.  Pound it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yet....  Plenty of time for the borderline hammy pull....

Yup, and Bobs your uncle…, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Then when was the last time he made an impactful play on special teams? Siran made plenty of great tackles last season, and I don’t think I ever heard an announcer say Taiwan Jones name.

I’m sure he is just scamming the Bills coaches and he is not an impactful special teams player. You should point this out to them since they seem to highly value his special teams ability. I’m pretty sure one of their main criteria for cut down day is “how many times did the announcers say his name?”  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

If you think that is how ST works, then I fear you are badly mistaken. The aim is to prevent the receiver breaking off a long run. The tackle is the last part of that but it is the discipline and positioning of the whole ST that allows the tackle. I would say that the fact that the kick returns of the Broncos was one of the areas of concern yesterday in the absence of Jones is evidence of his importance to our ST play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Blackshear.  Sounds like a second tier Marvel or DC superhero.  Dresses in black spandex, can fly, grip can tear a football 🏈 in half.  And a fully inflated  football, not one of those Tom Brady underinflated marshmallows.

No reflection on the player or his abilities is implied.

• Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

What good do the core special teamers do on the practice squad?  You do realize they have to be on the active roster to be part of the core of special teams right? 

I’m saying the guys who only play special teams might have an easier time clearing waivers.  Seems like there’s a game GM’s play to protect guys they think might get poached by other teams.  And when you have a kicker and now punter who can kick it to the end zone when you want to, I wouldn’t be afraid of exposing core special teamers to waivers.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m saying the guys who only play special teams might have an easier time clearing waivers.  Seems like there’s a game GM’s play to protect guys they think might get poached by other teams.  And when you have a kicker and now punter who can kick it to the end zone when you want to, I wouldn’t be afraid of exposing core special teamers to waivers.  

Again, what good do core special teams players do on the practice squad?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That means unless Blackshear shows uncanny abilities as a gunner, he's not unseating Formosa.  

I see what you did there.  I like it.  😀

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I like the kid, he has great cuts, vision and energy but not very big or fast.  Don't think he's got enough for our 53.  We'll see if other teams will let us stash him.

He has great short area quickness.  I would love to stash him.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Does anyone remember how unimpressive Zack Moss has looked for two regular seasons?

I remember him doing better than Singletary the first year and I remember him being injured last year.  The key here is that he still has another year on his rookie deal.  Moss will not be cut.

50 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He's made a good case for himself to this point.  At the same time,  it seems like there's always one of these guys in preseason and rarely do they make it. This year is going to be especially difficult and most likely,  I think he ends up on the practice squad. 

The real take away from all of this is that this is almost certainly Singletary's last year with us.  With all of our other free agents, it will be impossible to pay him when the RB room is so crowded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Blackshear seems like a credible NFL RB. So are Singletary Moss and Cook.  There just is not room for all four. The only way blackshear supplants Moss is for long term contract strategy.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Then it ain't happening imo. Blackshear or Moss if we're talking the active roster. 

Brutal to have to choose here. The WORST. The bills running back stable is stout.  And one of them likely will have to go. I'm homing for Moss but Blackshear sounds legit too. I wish Blackshear was somehow more under the radar and stash him on the PC incognito right?

Edited by muppy

42 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I’m sure he is just scamming the Bills coaches and he is not an impactful special teams player. You should point this out to them since they seem to highly value his special teams ability. I’m pretty sure one of their main criteria for cut down day is “how many times did the announcers say his name?”  

I guess playing Vernon Butler and not playing Bates until December were also good decisions since the Bills coaches are always right. Why even have a message board if you’re not allowed to disagree with what the team does?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.