Bills' ticket prices soar as new season fast approaches

HOUSE

I don’t get people saying “There’s folks who wanna take their kid or grandkid to a game, but they can’t afford it.” Obviously 70,000 people were able to afford it — including a sold-out family section. 

Let’s not act like super wealthy elite 1% are depriving the working folks a chance at tickets. The combined population of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse is only 600,000. Someone’s filling the stands. 

Yes, tickets are expensive. So are trips to Disney, restocking the fridge with beer every week, XBox subscriptions, lotto tickets, cable TV, unnecessarily large pickup trucks, addiction to cigarettes, UFC fight night, pumpkin spice lattes, and cheating on your wife. We all make choices.

• Thank you (+1) 3

On 8/20/2022 at 8:17 AM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

That is very sad.

But I can't help but ask. How are the citizens of Buffalo going to afford PSLS and the quadrupled price of season tickets when the new stadium opens ?

Hopefully the stadium won't be half empty filled with corporate executives 

Tickets are selling now at these crazy prices.  People will be at the games.  Now are they the table jumping, set self on fire, drunk, drunk and fighting crowd?  Maybe not.   

There’s always pre-season games for people who just want to take kids to a game, but can’t afford regular season prices.  

10 hours ago, WickedGame said:

The combined population of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse is only 600,000. 

The cities sure, but if you take Erie, Niagara, Monroe, and Onandaga Counties it's more like 2.3 million.  If you add in reasonable counties in between like Orleans, Wyoming, Genesee, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Livingston you add another 360,000.  There are plenty more people in Central NY beyond that that I didnt count.

Then go ahead and remember you have another 100k people directly over the border in Fort Erie and Niagara Falls and a big swath of people reaching up to Toronto, many of which would be interested in watching a winning football team.

You also have tons of ex-pats who come back to town just for that. I've been one of those lots of time when the team was crap. It's a lot more motivating to drop the coin now that they are good.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, HOUSE said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — This fall hundreds of thousands of football fans will flock to Highmark Stadium, and with the Buffalo Bills flying high, ticket prices are soaring as well.

“There’s people who work so hard, and they want to take their children or grandchild to the very first game, and they can't go,” Renee Gardner said. “They can't afford it."

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-ticket-prices-soar/71-e10cc716-6d48-4802-a7cd-230e9b55c812

Make more money!

If you cannot afford it you probably shouldn't be going.

Edited by TBBills

8 hours ago, TBBills said:

Make more money!

If you cannot afford it you probably shouldn't be going.

There's "being able to afford it," and "justifying spending that much money to see a football game."  Two entirely different things ... neither of which has a RCH to do with how much money someone makes.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, Gugny said:

I used to reserve a room for the first four to five weekends of the season, since I know which game I'm going to (which is usually their second home game) - then cancel the rooms that no longer apply after the schedule comes out.

The last couple years, I've gambled and just got the room as soon as the schedule came out and ended up saving money getting the non-refundable rate.

Thanks, this is a great idea! 

• Like (+1) 1

It's all about knowing the market.  With the games so far away people can post them for high prices, if they sell great!  If they don't sell you lower as it gets closer.  Before the games start specifically right now is the worst time to buy tickets.  Hype and excitement are at their highest.  The best time to buy tickets is right after a loss.  Demand is suppressed and supply is increased.

Home opener is almost always the most expensive game of the year.  Primetime is also something that increases price.  The fact that the home opener is primetime and the Bills are the super bowl favorites is the perfect recipe for a very expensive ticket.

The most important thing is knowing where to look though. The article states the cheapest ticket is $200.  As I write this there are $75 tickets for sale on craigslist for this game.  https://buffalo.craigslist.org/tix/d/buffalo-tennessee-titans-at-buffalo/7524342440.html  She paid 1/3 last year so tickets are already in line with that she paid.

Part of the problem is the outrageous Ticketmaster fees. the cheapest resale tickets have a fee of $45+ on top of the inflated price. It's insane. If you don't mind a little chill buying late season games off season ticket holders is the way to go for a cheap visit. 

42 minutes ago, VisorJosh said:

Part of the problem is the outrageous Ticketmaster fees. the cheapest resale tickets have a fee of $45+ on top of the inflated price. It's insane. If you don't mind a little chill buying late season games off season ticket holders is the way to go for a cheap visit. 

Is that a per ticket fee? 😱

21 hours ago, WickedGame said:

I don’t get people saying “There’s folks who wanna take their kid or grandkid to a game, but they can’t afford it.” Obviously 70,000 people were able to afford it — including a sold-out family section. 

Let’s not act like super wealthy elite 1% are depriving the working folks a chance at tickets. The combined population of Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse is only 600,000. Someone’s filling the stands. 

Yes, tickets are expensive. So are trips to Disney, restocking the fridge with beer every week, XBox subscriptions, lotto tickets, cable TV, unnecessarily large pickup trucks, addiction to cigarettes, UFC fight night, pumpkin spice lattes, and cheating on your wife. We all make choices.

Thank you for bringing up the trucks! They're the new sports cars. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The cities sure, but if you take Erie, Niagara, Monroe, and Onandaga Counties it's more like 2.3 million.  If you add in reasonable counties in between like Orleans, Wyoming, Genesee, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Livingston you add another 360,000.  There are plenty more people in Central NY beyond that that I didnt count.

Then go ahead and remember you have another 100k people directly over the border in Fort Erie and Niagara Falls and a big swath of people reaching up to Toronto, many of which would be interested in watching a winning football team.

You also have tons of ex-pats who come back to town just for that. I've been one of those lots of time when the team was crap. It's a lot more motivating to drop the coin now that they are good.

Sure, that’s a fair point. And as a counterpoint, there are at least eight home games a year, so that’s at least 560,000 seats — that’s a lot of butts. 

Don’t get me wrong, I recognize tickets are expensive…and the inflation of prices happened rather quickly. But that’s the price we pay for having such a good team. Good teams breed popularity, popularity breeds demand, and high demand breeds premium prices for a premium product. 

As much as I’d love to take my kids to games, I’d much rather have a good team — I can find infinite ways to share wonderful experiences and create memories with my kids, but a championship-caliber team is a rarity. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, WickedGame said:

Spot on, bravo....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.