Enough is enough, when are people going to start pushing back against the NFL and star athletes?

Tipster19

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Hey, as long as this continues with some athletes being treated as above the law and the NFL just slaps their hand then the NFL and it’s “employees” will never have to clean up their act. Politics, we see it in our government and we see it in our sports, these athletes have gotten way out of control. As outrageous as this has become imagine if it were your sister or daughter that was victimized. As of now it’s just women that you hear about but if it were to hit home it would compound it immensely. Something needs to be put into place by being regulated by a third party, it’s WAY overdue! It’s disgusting that these people with no morals or conviction are in a position of authority.

The famous saying is - you can indict a ham sandwich - meaning that it is relatively easy to get an indictment.  An indictment is just a decision to go to trial, which is why if it is even close, they come back with an indictment.  An indictment essentially means that it looks like something possibly could be there so let's get all the evidence out at trial.  I am affected by the media coverage just like everyone else, so I was shocked when two grand juries refused to indict him.  We'll never know why, because that stuff is all sealed, but that likely means that there is less evidence than we are being led to believe.  I honestly went from nuclear against Watson to puzzled and slightly confused.

It was two different juries - not a rogue judge, but a jury - not one, but two.

I have no doubt that Watson propositioned most or all of these women and that he is a scumbag, but I don't see how I can take issue with the punishment.  In addition to the 11 games without pay and the fine, he didn't get to play all last season as this was being decided.  It seems like a severe punishment.  Isn't it the most severe in the history of the NFL?

All of this stuff where people pontificate and thump their mighty chest about how the NFL missed a chance to stand for women...sigh.  If they don't mention the fact that they refused to even charge him...it comes across as virtue signaling.  It is the popular take that everyone will like and makes you feel good - look at me, I support women!  

And, if we are going to hate on the NFL, shouldn't we hate on the player's union more?  They pushed for less punishment.  What a surprise, ex-players come on these shows and blame the NFL and not their own union.

Again, just to be clear, I think Watson is scumbag and deserves his punishment.

Edited by Long Suffering Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rottenchester, please don’t hold back.

Say what you’re really thinking.  🤩🦬.

Just kidding.  I tend to agree this is more of a post that would be fine in the Watson thread.

I think if I understand you is simply personal accountability.  The bottom line  for me is Watson is a disgusting animal and unfortunately shouldn’t have been enabled by the Texans, but they didn’t make him victimize so many women.  

As far as the punishment, I would’ve preferred a full year and $10-20 mil.  It didn’t happen and moving on.  

I agree that he is a disgusting person and my preference would have been 6 games per settled suit - so 6x24 games and then he is still on the browns and the contract must be payed out by the Browns - screw them both.

The problem is that is not the way the world works with unionized employees and why should the NFL be made accountable to punish someone severely when the law didn’t.

I just feel that this was a bunch of crap by the OP acting with fake outrage that this is the straw that makes him leave the NFL.  It is pure crap as he posts it on an NFL board and will be on here trolling about the Bills all season.  I hate people that feign outrage about something, but are not going to do something or suggest a fix.

Changes should be made and the NFL could impose better qualifications around situations like these, but to blame the NFL for the actions of Watson - that is terrible.  

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Watson is not the only one, just the latest. It  did go to court and was ruled sexual assault. Goodell went on record earlier this month and condemned it and had a strong opinion on the act and the punishment. So what changed since then?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/roger-goodell-evidence-warrants-year-long-ban-deshaun-watson?amp

What changed is that most likely the 2nd reviewer was not going to give him a year and warned them that he could not give them what they want without a lawsuit that could compromise the entire suspension and that most likely a court case could bring about the original 6 game suspension as an outcome.

Just because someone has a strong opinion does not give him the freedom to do everything he wants - especially if the other owners are like get a settlement and get this over with.

Personally my guess is Goodell would love to throw him out of the league, but he is bound to rules that are bargained for and he does not want a hard fought change to get weakened within the first 6 months of the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

The famous saying is - you can indict a ham sandwich - meaning that it is relatively easy to get an indictment.  An indictment is just a decision to go to trial, which is why if it is even close, they come back with an indictment.  An indictment essentially means that it looks like something possibly could be there so let's get all the evidence out at trial.  I am affected by the media coverage just like everyone else, so I was shocked when two grand juries refused to indict him.  We'll never know why, because that stuff is all sealed, but that likely means that there is less evidence than we are being led to believe.  I honestly went from nuclear against Watson to puzzled and slightly confused.

It was two different juries - not a rogue judge, but a jury - not one, but two.

I have no doubt that Watson propositioned most or all of these women and that he is a scumbag, but I don't see how I can take issue with the punishment.  In addition to the 11 games without pay and the fine, he didn't get to play all last season as this was being decided.  It seems like a severe punishment.  Isn't it the most severe in the history of the NFL?

All of this stuff where people pontificate and thump their mighty chest about how the NFL missed a chance to stand for women...sigh.  If they don't mention the fact that they refused to even charge him...it comes across as virtue signaling.  It is the popular take that everyone will like and makes you feel good - look at me, I support women!  

And, if we are going to hate on the NFL, shouldn't we hate on the player's union more?  They pushed for less punishment.  What a surprise, ex-players come on these shows and blame the NFL and not their own union.

Again, just to be clear, I think Watson is scumbag and deserves his punishment.

Well spoken,.very eloquent. I admit that I did not take last year into consideration which should credited towards the punishment. Very classy response, thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Your post is actually understated. Deshaun Watson faces penalities the average person would never face because he is rich and famous, not in spite of it. 

Maybe I’m misnunderstanding your post.  The average Joe would probably be in jail or out on bond waiting for trial, have lost their job because of it and have little prospects.  Would also end up with a felony record and Sexual Offender Registration for life.  

DW ends up not being able to play a GAME for 11 weeks of which he loses virtually no money, then proceeds to go on and earn hundreds of millions.  So he pays a fine, which is less than 2% of his earnings.  

The fact that the whole world knows he’s scum and a predator is due to his fame-so here’s a simple solution-don’t be a scum bag and predator and the world won’t think you are one! 

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree that he is a disgusting person and my preference would have been 6 games per settled suit - so 6x24 games and then he is still on the browns and the contract must be payed out by the Browns - screw them both.

The problem is that is not the way the world works with unionized employees and why should the NFL be made accountable to punish someone severely when the law didn’t.

I just feel that this was a bunch of crap by the OP acting with fake outrage that this is the straw that makes him leave the NFL.  It is pure crap as he posts it on an NFL board and will be on here trolling about the Bills all season.  I hate people that feign outrage about something, but are not going to do something or suggest a fix.

Changes should be made and the NFL could impose better qualifications around situations like these, but to blame the NFL for the actions of Watson - that is terrible.  

I don’t want to get into an argument with you or anyone else, you have the right to have your opinion and I’ll respect that but you don’t know me so don’t come back about me having fake outrage. I’ll say this, if I were to witness sexual assault on a woman I wouldn’t stand there and look the other way, I can promise you that. 

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Hey, as long as this continues with some athletes being treated as above the law and the NFL just slaps their hand then the NFL and it’s “employees” will never have to clean up their act. Politics, we see it in our government and we see it in our sports, these athletes have gotten way out of control. As outrageous as this has become imagine if it were your sister or daughter that was victimized. As of now it’s just women that you hear about but if it were to hit home it would compound it immensely. Something needs to be put into place by being regulated by a third party, it’s WAY overdue! It’s disgusting that these people with no morals or conviction are in a position of authority.

like who?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

like who?

Truthfully, I don’t know, something like that would be over my head. Senators and Congress have delved into the NFL in the past but we’re pretty much shut out. 

I love football but it’s a dirty business ran by a very wealthy closed fraternity. If it weren’t for the Bills I probably wouldn’t watch football because of that but I’ve been a fan of the Bills since I was a little kid. To me the Bills are what’s good with the NFL so I guess I’m addicted to them and I can’t quit them. That’s about as honest of an assessment of me that I could be.

• Dislike 1

The NFL could have easily circumvented the “6 games is standard punishment for this situation according to the conduct policy” by simply applying 6 games per credible accusation.  Hell, even just using the 4 accusers that the judge deemed believable, that would have amounted to 24 games. 

*I see Rochesterfan best me to that idea. 

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

Watson is not the only one, just the latest. It  did go to court and was ruled sexual assault. Goodell went on record earlier this month and condemned it and had a strong opinion on the act and the punishment. So what changed since then?

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/roger-goodell-evidence-warrants-year-long-ban-deshaun-watson?amp

But a Grand Jury failed to indict Watson, so the court system failed those women. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Truthfully, I don’t know, something like that would be over my head. Senators and Congress have delved into the NFL in the past but we’re pretty much shut out. 

I love football but it’s a dirty business ran by a very wealthy closed fraternity. If it weren’t for the Bills I probably wouldn’t watch football because of that but I’ve been a fan of the Bills since I was a little kid. To me the Bills are what’s good with the NFL so I guess I’m addicted to them and I can’t quit them. That’s about as honest of an assessment of me that I could be.

If you tuned everything else out and only turned on the games just before kickoff, with the sound down, you will be just fine.  The rest is all just drama fabricated by the league to keep the NFL on the front page year round.  Don't get sucked into it.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why is this thread about the NFL and not the legal system? 

Welcome to the world of the rich and famous.

The NFLPA should be held accountable. They negotiate the deals for their union members.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

You can always stop watching the NFL if you want.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I can see society getting around to fixing this somewhere right after we "fix" the rampant corruption in government and politics. Its all about the money. Here, there, everywhere.  🤑

Would you rather do things the right way, or make money? This my friend, is the real question.

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Well said imo.

I agree and interesting from a player who was treated as a party favor by owner when drafted.

51 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Well spoken,.very eloquent. I admit that I did not take last year into consideration which should credited towards the punishment. Very classy response, thanks.

Yes a year paid vacation should be included in punishment. :rolleyes:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.