The State of the Bills the last time we played the Broncos in preseason

BillsFan619

Thought it would be interesting to look back.

It was 2011.

HC - Chan Gailey

OC - Curtis Modkins

DC - George Edwards

A few of the offensive players:

QB - Fitz

RB - Fred Jackson

WR - Stevie Johnson

TE - Scott Chandler

A few of the defensive players:

DT - Kyle Williams

DT - Marcel Dareus

DE - Chris Kelsay

CB - Terrence McGee

LB - Kelvin Sheppard (and people complain about Tremaine 😜)

This was the year that we started out 4-1 and beat the Pats in dramatic fashion 34-31. Most were thinking playoffs.

We’d go on to lose 9 of our next 11 games and we had a 7 game losing streak during that stretch. We finished 6-10 and our drought extends to 11 years.

By the way, we ended up losing to the Broncos in that pre-season game, 24-10.

We have it so good right now, Bills Mafia. Go Bills!

Extracurricular - Here’s a fun discussion. If you could pick one of our players from the 2011 roster to be on the 2022 roster, who would it be?

This is a difficult one. I think my favorite drought player is Kyle Williams. But, I think I’d have to choose Fred Jackson because I think our DL rotation this year is good and FJ would most likely help our running game be at another level this season.

Below is a link to the 2011 roster if you’d like to take a look at it to make your choice.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/roster/2011

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

It was 2011.

HC - Chan Gailey

OC - Curtis Modkins

DC - George Edwards

QB - Fitz

RB - Fred Jackson

WR - Stevie Johnson

TE - Scott Chandler

DT - Kyle Williams

DT - Marcel Dareus

DE - Chris Kelsay

CB - Terrence McGee

This was the year that we started out 4-1 and beat the Pats in dramatic fashion 34-31. Most were thinking playoffs.

We’d go on to lose 9 of our next 11 games and we had a 7 game losing streak during that stretch. We finished 6-10 and our drought extends to 11 years.

Extracurricular - Here’s a fun discussion. If you could pick one of our players from the 2011 roster to be on the 2022 roster, who would it be?

This is a difficult one. I think my favorite drought player is Kyle Williams. But, I think I’d have to choose Fred Jackson because I think our DL rotation this year is good and FJ would most likely help our running game be at another level this season.

Below is a link to the 2011 roster if you’d like to take a look at it to make your choice.

Ooo, excellent question at the end. As much as I loved Kyle, I'd have to go with Fred. The guy would just be spectacular in this offense.

Honorable mention to Fitz (as our #2, of course, curse notwithstanding).

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

We have too many RBs for a pass-first offense as it is. Give me Kyle Williams.

None of our rbs could hold a candle to FJ22 

He would hardly come off the field with the team we have … He was one of the best third down backs in the league… And possibly the best pass blocker

No offense to Cook but FJ would make him obsolete… And he was better than Singletary

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

It was 2011.

HC - Chan Gailey

OC - Curtis Modkins

DC - George Edwards

QB - Fitz

RB - Fred Jackson

WR - Stevie Johnson

TE - Scott Chandler

DT - Kyle Williams

DT - Marcel Dareus

DE - Chris Kelsay

CB - Terrence McGee

Imagine had we kept Marshawn Lynch and drafted Dez Bryant instead of Spiller. 

5 minutes ago, transient said:

CJ Spiller... because I'm still convinced that we just need to get him into space. :ph34r:

see above. 

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

This player wasn't the best at his position on the 2011 team, but I'd go with Roscoe Parrish, just for the outside deep threat. Opens things up underneath for Diggs and co. 

Roscoe while super fast and twitchy wasn’t a typical deep threat … He wasn’t running nine routes on the outside down the field

he was always working the middle of the field … The 3 Longest catches of his career or like 50 48 and 38 yards

His best season before injury he was killing the middle of the field

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

This player wasn't the best at his position on the 2011 team, but I'd go with Roscoe Parrish, just for the outside deep threat. Opens things up underneath for Diggs and co. 

Yeah, the 2022 Bills won't go anywhere without a guy that played 6 years in the league, scored 7 TD's and averaged 11.2 YPC.  

He barely sniffs the field with this team unless it's on special teams

image.thumb.png.bea1787e40ab28c5237a7e7cd73daf24.png

51 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Terrence McGee.  In addition to being a very good CB, he was an exceptional kick returner!

That was my thought too. Tre White and Terrance McGee would be a great CB tandem. Not to mention he is the best returner in Bills history.

Brian Moorman would be another good choice.

• Like (+1) 1

If McGee had scored a touchdown on the kick return against the Saints it would be in the running for the greatest touchdown in NFL history.  What's really frustrating is that if you look at the field when McGee is around the 15 yard line, statistically he probably has better than a 90% chance of scoring.  Total fluke that he went down.  Oh well, that was the Bills until Beane and McDermott got here.

• Like (+1) 2

Who to add from the 2011 team?  There are only a few considerations IMO.  Here's my breakdown, from least to most helpful for 2022:

WR Roscoe Parrish

Pro: Upgrade at PR over anyone we have now.  Could back up the McKenzie role on offense.

Con: On offense, he's just a worse version of McKenzie.

DT Marcell Dareus

Pro: Most natural talent on the team; before he got soured on the Bills, he was an absolute force.  Versatile enough to play anywhere on the line if needed.

Con: Already didn't get along with McDermott once.  2011 was Dareus' rookie year and he wasn't as good as he eventually got.

RB CJ Spiller

Pro: He's fast, and breakaway speed is something Beane has prioritized this offseason.

Con: He started looking competent down the stretch of 2011, but it took like 12 games to get there.  Wasn't ever all that good, even in 2012.

FS Jairus Byrd

Pro: Great player! (But not as good as Micah Hyde)

Con: He would be higher, but we're loaded at safety and he'd strictly be insurance if Hyde gets hurt.

WR Stevie Johnson

Pro: Can play outside or inside; not the best WR in the league but was incapable of being locked down.

Con: Would his unorthodox style fit into our scheme?

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

Pro: Way overqualified backup who's also a great locker room presence.  Might be able to hold down the fort even if Allen had to miss a lot of time.

Con: Would the 2011 version of Fitz be super-cool about being a backup?  Probably, but it's hard to say for sure.

DT Kyle Williams

Pro: Another big-time McDermott guy, and he could play either 1-tech or 3-tech.

Con: Better at 3-tech than 1-tech, and we look to be pretty well set up at 3-tech this year.  How big a marginal upgrade would he be at either position?

RB Fred Jackson

Pro: Freddie!  Definitely a McDermott-type guy, and probably an upgrade at RB over anyone currently on the roster.  2011 was one of his best statistical seasons, even though he was already 30.  Not spectacular at anything, but at least decent at everything.

Con: I'm higher on our current backs than most, so I don't see him as the huge on-field upgrade that most others do.

And finally, my choice:

LG Andy Levitre

Pro: I have concerns about our interior O-line.  Levitre was an awesome LG who would probably be a significant upgrade over Saffold.  Worst case, he'd be a massive, MASSIVE upgrade over Mancz or Hart or Ford when it comes to depth.

Con: If Saffold isn't over the hill AND stays healthy, there's not a lot of bang for the buck here.

Note - the following were DQ'd due to availability concerns:

Eric Wood

Terrence McGee

Big Mike Jasper

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.