Deshaun Watson to be suspended 11 games via settlement

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While there is obviously some truth to teams more willing to go after a controversial player like this based on how good the player is, it's not at all why Kap was black balled, and Watson isn't.

Kap was good enough to be in the NFL, but he was a threat to the NFL's money, because half this country was in an uproar over Kap and threating to boycott or stop watching the NFL over him.  There is no national outrage over Watson despite doing something infinitely worse such as sexually assaulting over 24 women without remorse or accepting responsibility for his actions.  

And the reason is simple.  Both sides of the political aisle and national media politicized Kap because each side got a pop from their base over it.  There is no political value in Watson because he did something that universally is seen as undeniably wrong.  Which is why he isn't being debated nightly in the mainstream media taking opposing sides and rallying each of their bases up.   

Without half the country threatening to boycott the NFL, Watson is not the same threat to the NFL's revenue that Kap was, and that is the real difference in how the two situations have been handled by the NFL.  Watson is more just another short-term PR issue that will just fade away without much consequence to the league, if any.  They just need to make a statement they feel his actions are wrong and a fine and suspension do just that.  Even if people aren't satisfied with the severity of the punishment, it's not enough to make a lot of the NFL's following walk.  

And that is the sad truth.  Threat to the NFL's money, treated more severely.  Just look at how sever Ridley was punished for something that was so minor compared to what Watson did.  It's because Ridley's actions could lead to things that would jeopardize the leagues integrity which poses a much bigger financial risk for the NFL.  

I agree with what you stated as a factor in the Kaep situation. However, I firmly believe that if he was a top QB, he would of still been playing. Lets not forget, he had an offer on the table from SF that HE declined. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I agree with what you stated as a factor in the Kaep situation. However, I firmly believe that if he was a top QB, he would of still been playing. Lets not forget, he had an offer on the table from SF that HE declined. 

Yeah, I don't disagree that if he was on Watsons level, he would have eventually gotten back into the NFL.  But the reality is that even if Kap was as good as Watson, he still would have been treated more harshly and taken longer to get back into the NFL than Watson is facing.  And that is what is wrong with how the NFL handled each situation because what Watson did is incomparably worse than anything Kap ever did.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO, so the 4 year non stop outrage and media attacks of Kap were all about him not being a better QB?  What did you live in a cave or something? 

And its pretty disturbing that you basically just implied in your first sentence that because Watson is a better at football that its not really an issue he sexually preys on women and shows no remorse for doing so either.  

Got it champ, nice take 🙄

Lol no, he was implying that his kneeling led to his benching but it was his terrible QB play that got him benched. 

How bad was he? To provide perspective, he was worse than Blain Gabbert. 

His protest wasn’t until after he was determined to be a bad QB.

So the implication that the NFL world (fan base included) couldn’t stomach a protest but can Watson’s terrible behavior is re-writing history and obviously very wrong. 

Not sure where you got that anyone condoned his behavior champ 🤡

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While there is obviously some truth to teams more willing to go after a controversial player like this based on how good the player is, it's not at all why Kap was black balled, and Watson isn't.

Kap was good enough to be in the NFL, but he was a threat to the NFL's money, because half this country was in an uproar over Kap and threating to boycott or stop watching the NFL over him.  There is no national outrage over Watson despite doing something infinitely worse such as sexually assaulting over 24 women without remorse or accepting responsibility for his actions.  

And the reason is simple.  Both sides of the political aisle and national media politicized Kap because each side got a pop from their base over it.  There is no political value in Watson because he did something that universally is seen as undeniably wrong.  Which is why he isn't being debated nightly in the mainstream media taking opposing sides and rallying each of their bases up.   

Without half the country threatening to boycott the NFL, Watson is not the same threat to the NFL's revenue that Kap was, and that is the real difference in how the two situations have been handled by the NFL.  Watson is more just another short-term PR issue that will just fade away without much consequence to the league, if any.  They just need to make a statement they feel his actions are wrong, and a fine and suspension do just that.  Even if people aren't satisfied with the severity of the punishment, it's not enough to make a lot of the NFL's following walk.  

And that is the sad truth.  Threat to the NFL's money, treated more severely.  Just look at how severe Ridley was punished for something that was so minor compared to what Watson did.  It's because Ridley's actions could lead to things that would jeopardize the leagues integrity which poses a much bigger financial risk for the NFL.  

Which leads me to wonder:

• Where are the corporate sponsors? Do they all tacitly approve of the how DW, the Browns, the NFLPA and the NFL have handled this? They sure were quick to move in the Kaepernick indidents.
  • I have not heard of any money being pulled out of Cleveland Browns or the NFL on behalf of women and sexual crime victims?
  • Where are the protests and boycotts of the Cleveland Browns? I would love to see some city say they will not allow the sexual predator to enter their city--probably couldn't really do it, but it sure would be fun to watch of they seriously attempted it.
  • Where are the political leaders stepping in and making it hurt for the NFL, Cleveland Browns, or DW?

I may have missed it, but besides the sports show talk-heads, there seems to be a deafening silence from the people who could really make a statement about this.

????

• Like (+1) 1

It is all hush hush and no talk from the Brown's sponsors on this topic & DW.

Listening to DW on NFL live yesterday,  and him trying to explain if he apologized or not, shows this guy is a piece of **** trash.

He has no standards or morals, he does not have a single ounce of remorse in him,  and he is definitely not NFL material.

It is amazing how athletes get away from being held responsible for their actions.

He should have been fined $1 Million per sexual assault plaintiff in the case against him.  His fine should have been $24 mil.

Also some of that fine should have donated by the NFL to a woman's outreach program that deals with this type of sexual abuse on a daily basis.

But the NFL does not have stomach for doing the right thing.  They never have been role models,  when it comes to disciplining their current players.

These NFL guys forget it is a privilege that they can play in the NFL,  it is not a protected right !!!

Edited by Toyo321

On 8/19/2022 at 1:38 PM, FLFan said:

I don’t know what they call it but it is not suspended.  Suspended player are not on the 53 man roster

Yes, he was definitely not suspended. I was just wondering if it was a distinction without much of a difference.  Or does a suspended player not get paid?

On 8/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, Mickey said:

Yes, he was definitely not suspended. I was just wondering if it was a distinction without much of a difference.  Or does a suspended player not get paid?

Suspended players don't get paid, and they also forfeit 1/16 of the signing bonus pro-rated to that year (at least they used to)

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Suspended players don't get paid, and they also forfeit 1/16 of the signing bonus pro-rated to that year (at least they used to)

The Browns protected his signing bonus in the contract.

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I did not know that was a thing teams could do

Watson's camp to Browns:  "Bend over and let me drive"

The entire contract is filthy with protecting his money, knowing that a suspension was coming - from the miniscule 2022 salary to the bonus protection.

"As CBS Sports' Joel Corry reports, there is language in the Browns' contract with Watson that prevents them from asking for any of his signing bonus or salary back. Below is the official cause from Watson's contract, per Corry.

...it shall not constitute a failure or refusal to practice or play with the Club and Player shall not be in default if: ... (iii) Player is suspended solely in connection with matters disclosed to Club in writing pursuant to Paragraph 42 which results in Player's unavailability to Club solely for games during the 2022 or 2023 NFL League Years.

Had Watson's contract not included this language, the Browns would have been able to ask him to return his $8.933 million prorated signing bonus for 2022 if he was suspended for a full season. And with him suspended for part of the season, they could have asked for a prorated amount — number of games suspended divided by 18 —  of it back."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-contract-suspension-browns-qbs/sxgdjq8o8ouiyxsz6qf5g1qt

They basically paid him his first year's salary as an untouchable bonus.  Pathetic and disgusting, if you ask me.

Edited by Gugny

Watson not hurting in wallet even with suspension.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34419191/deshaun-watson-nfl-suspension-cost-569-million-details-how-affects-cleveland-browns-quarterback-230-million-contract

When Watson signed his contract extension with the Texans in 2020, he got a $27 million signing bonus plus a 2020 salary of about $1.177 million. So he pocketed more than $28 million that season.

The following year, in 2021, Watson made $10.5 million in salary even though he didn't play.

In January 2021, less than two months before the first civil lawsuit was filed against Watson, he told the Texans he didn't want to play for them anymore. 

On 8/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I don't disagree that if he was on Watsons level, he would have eventually gotten back into the NFL.  But the reality is that even if Kap was as good as Watson, he still would have been treated more harshly and taken longer to get back into the NFL than Watson is facing.  And that is what is wrong with how the NFL handled each situation because what Watson did is incomparably worse than anything Kap ever did.  

Another rarely discussed aspect of the CK issue is that he was unlikely to quiet down. He would be the backup qb expecting a big paycheck and giving controversial takes regularly. 

odds are Watson can put time between him and the headlines. See Big Ben as an example. Kaepernick was likely going to be continually media management even if his was simply expressing political stances and not the more heinous offenses that we often see pushed aside. 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Another rarely discussed aspect of the CK issue is that he was unlikely to quiet down. He would be the backup qb expecting a big paycheck and giving controversial takes regularly. 

odds are Watson can put time between him and the headlines. See Big Ben as an example. Kaepernick was likely going to be continually media management even if his was simply expressing political stances and not the more heinous offenses that we often see pushed aside. 

Thats a fair point, and a valid one I agree with.  However, my only counter would be that if the politicians and mainstream media on both sides of the aisle had not politicized him, there would not have been much media management moving forward.  Like when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf would sit during the national anthem in the NBA.  When it became known in the media, the coverage didn't last long and he was able to keep doing it without being a disruption to the team.  But nobody politicized him and people moved on.  

So, totally agree that your point is valid in the reality of Kaps situation, and that is really why he was blackballed because it was not going to go away.  Which is getting back to my initial point of how Watson situation having no political value will just fade once he plays some games.  Kap, being politicize by both parties made his case never ending and nobody wanted to touch that.  

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats a fair point, and a valid one I agree with.  However, my only counter would be that if the politicians and mainstream media on both sides of the aisle had not politicized him, there would not have been much media management moving forward.  Like when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf would sit during the national anthem in the NBA.  When it became known in the media, the coverage didn't last long and he was able to keep doing it without being a disruption to the team.  But nobody politicized him and people moved on.  

So, totally agree that your point is valid in the reality of Kaps situation, and that is really why he was blackballed because it was not going to go away.  Which is getting back to my initial point of how Watson situation having no political value will just fade once he plays some games.  Kap, being politicize by both parties made his case never ending and nobody wanted to touch that.  

Yea- generally 100% on board there. Though I think Kaep himself was good with that added spotlight and sought it out too. It wasn’t just thrust upon him, he was very much engaged in it while in the league and after his departure. This wasn’t a guy that accidentally stepped in it, he used the mood of the moment for his own ends too. I think hard for many of us to wrap our heads around the possibility that someone in his spot could have different priorities outside the football dream… but here we are all these years later and he’s still relatively iconic instead of fading quietly into obscurity.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.