Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

20 minutes ago, White Linen said:

McD is truly impressive at coaching DB's.  

No doubt about that but will see how much it matters given the ridiculous amount high end QB/WR matchups we face in the first 8 weeks.

Have a feeling this secondary is going to struggle big time and we might find ourselves in a lot of shoot outs early.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Whether it’s an obsession or whatever you want to call it, it still is a surprise if a 6th round pick is outperforming the 1st round pick.  Beane put Elam in the category of a player they placed a 1st round grade on.  The Bills did not grade Benford in that category.  So I agree that if Benford is already outperforming his 6th round grade versus our 1st rounder, that’s great, but I get this being a topic of discussion.

Most rookies are not ready to start week 1, even the ones that do.  Usually when a rookie starts week 1 its most often because they don't have a better option ready.  

We are in a situation where our all pro may not be ready week 1, so its likely in that case a rookie is forced to start week 1 they may not have started otherwise.  And when you draft a guy that has some technique things you need to correct, especially being handsy as a DB in the flag happy NFL, then its not exactly a crisis though if he isn't showing he is magically ready for that week 1.  I mean he has had very limited reps going full speed with pads on in this highly reduced era of camp and preseason contact.  Its not shocking he needs more reps first, especially since he has been battling some amazing WR's in camp.

So I get there is something to discuss here, but to me, the story here isn't that Elam is still working on the very things we already knew he had to work on, its that a 6th round pick is proving to be better than people thought given he was a 6th round pick.  And thats a good thing, not a bad thing.   

Now if this was 2023 and we are still talking about Elam not being ready I will start getting concerned about him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

This same rationale was used in 2006 when John McCargo flopped out of the league and Kyle Williams played well.  Sure, it's great that they get a starting player but missing on 1st rounders and claiming that's acceptable for the aforementioned reason isn't enough.  Not when the HC is from that side of the ball and has significant input into drafting that player.   

McD's big thing is secondary and he's invested a ton there. 

A ton of what? Certainly not draft capital. They have only spent two picks in the first 3 rounds on DBs since McDermott arrived (although they were both 1st rounders). Compare that to the investment on the defensive line. And while they have paid White, Poyer and Hyde only White is getting close to top of the market money. Poyer and Hyde were mid level FA acquisitions. 

I agree on missing first rounders btw, never a good thing. Elam played pretty well last weekend I don't think from what I have seen it is a case of him flopping so much as Benford has really shone. I thought he was the Bills best player in game 1. If we get towards the business end of the season and Elam can't get on the field over a 6th rounder and former 7th rounder that will be grounds to worry.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Is Benford facing the same receivers that Elam is facing on a daily basis?  Is he winning matchups against Diggs and Davis at a greater rate than Elam is?  Or is Benford doing better against our 5-10 WR while Elam is struggling against our #1 and #2 receiver?

These are honest questions (perhaps ones that have been already asked and dealt with, but I'm just seeing this topic and it's already 6 pages long) because they both looked good at times in that first preseason game and they both showed things they need to work on still from that first game

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Poyer and Hyde were mid level FA acquisitions. 

They were also both signed by Doug Whaley while McDermott was still picking out furniture for his office, so it's questionable whether they even count as McD capital.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, uninja said:

Diggs has regularly made the top CBs in the league look utterly silly the last 2 years. We're expecting our first round pick to be prime Revis first day of camp? Come on.

If one DB is going to be prime-adiva Revis I hope WR practicing against him is ghost of Stevie Johnson who made Revis look silly.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

They were also both signed by Doug Whaley while McDermott was still picking out furniture for his office, so it's questionable whether they even count as McD capital.

I mean I don't believe Whaley was picking anyone that spring. He was a dead man walking. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I mean I don't believe Whaley was picking anyone that spring. He was a dead man walking. 

He continued to be actively involved in every aspect of the organization in the same way he'd always been right up until he was fired.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

He continued to be actively involved in every aspect of the organization in the same way he'd always been right up until he was fired.

Really? I mean they wouldn't even let him do the pre-draft meetings with journos they sent McDermott out to it. He made zero public appearances between Sean's presser and the day they fired him.

If you have information to the contrary fair enough but it doesn't seem to line up with their public actions.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Really? I mean they wouldn't even let him do the pre-draft meetings with journos they sent McDermott out to it. He made zero public appearances between Sean's presser and the day they fired him.

He's well aware of the fact that he's not a good interview/public speaker and was amenable to not having to do it any more.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Incorrect.  OC thought he could execute system better, a system which was crappy.  He doubled down on P5t5rman and was let go.

That OC had gone by the 2018 pre-season. Peterman didn't outplay Josh though. He outplayed AJ McCarron. The Bills really, really wanted Josh to sit for a bit. They knew how raw he was. Unfortunately they screwed the pooch a bit (wanted Case Keenum ironically and missed on him, ended up with McCarrob who sucked and Peterman ended up starting) and by half time week 1 it was abundently clear that a raw Josh Allen was still closer to competent than the other two. 

I reckon if Brian Daboll had his choice Josh would have started week 1 of 2018. Beane and McDermott wanted him to sit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

No doubt about that but will see how much it matters given the ridiculous amount high end QB/WR matchups we face in the first 8 weeks.

Have a feeling this secondary is going to struggle big time and we might find ourselves in a lot of shoot outs early.

If Hyde and Poyer are healthy and playing like they have been the past 5 seasons I think the secondary will be fine. After Tre went out last season the CB play with Levi Wallace and Dane on the outside was not bad. Granted they didn’t play any barn burning offenses beside Tampa Bay (whom they got smoked in the first half but played well in the second half.) The secondary still played well.

I also think Dane with some starts and another camp under his belt and the rookies coming in should be better than what the team played without White last season when Dane was less experienced and Levi Wallace was limited athletically.

6 hours ago, hemma said:

I wonder who gets Kupp.

Probably some combination of zones and double coverage in man to man situations.  The Rams are very good at using formations and motion to get the match ups that they want.  Bills are very good at hiding their coverage pre-snap, even when facing motion and different formations.  It should be a good game of "cat and mouse".

The pass rush will be the key to the Bills defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.