Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

4 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

If one of the two of Benford and Elam end up being a starting caliber corner, it all will be okay.  I seem to recall that there were negatives noted for Elam in the pre-draft reviews, and he did seem to experience a significant rise up draft boards as the draft approached.  I also read recently (can't remember where) a review of recent first round CB picks, and it was kind of shocking the number that were already out of the league, on teams other than the teams that drafted them, or performing poorly.

This same rationale was used in 2006 when John McCargo flopped out of the league and Kyle Williams played well.  Sure, it's great that they get a starting player but missing on 1st rounders and claiming that's acceptable for the aforementioned reason isn't enough.  Not when the HC is from that side of the ball and has significant input into drafting that player.   

McD's big thing is secondary and he's invested a ton there. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

I dont know that they actually said Benford was "outplaying " Elam. Seemed more like he is "pushing" Elam. I'll listen again but...

Update: they do not say Benford has outplayed Elam. I interpret them as saying he has exceeded expectatuons of being a 6th round pick. 

The guy said Benford has to be on the field, and he clearly wasn't saying that about Elam.  His conclusion, which sounds correct, is that against the Rams we will see a rotation of those two, and in the fourth quarter they'll go with the hotter hand. Actually, I think it will be a three man rotation with Jackson.  More confusing to the offense that way. 

What's best about all this is that more and more it's sounding like corner isnt a problem to start the season.  Not a strength, maybe, but not a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

This same rationale was used in 2006 when John McCargo flopped out of the league and Kyle Williams played well.  Sure, it's great that they get a starting player but missing on 1st rounders and claiming that's acceptable for the aforementioned reason isn't enough.  Not when the HC is from that side of the ball and has significant input into drafting that player.   

McD's big thing is secondary and he's invested a ton there. 

I do not disagree.  If Benford does develop and Elam does not, it does mitigate the overall situation, but we can't miss on first round picks, and there is a significant opportunity cost if that does happen.

• Like (+1) 1

Benford started as a true freshman in college, Elam became a starter later.   

Elam is a press corner, Benford is a zone coverage guy, taller, rangier, better tackler (like the guy we let go) perhaps a better initial fit in the McD zone coverage. 

Elam's higher ceiling will make likely make him the longer term starter, but yeah, maybe Benford just fits better right now.  

Is what it is.  Love how McBeanes just go with the better fit at the time, don't let the media distract them.   

And we'll end up with two starting calibre DBs instead of just one.  Works for me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Elam is a press corner, Benford is a zone coverage guy, taller, rangier, better tackler (like the guy we let go) perhaps a better initial fit in the McD zone coverage. 

Elam's higher ceiling will make likely make him the longer term starter, but yeah, maybe Benford just fits better right now.  

Is what it is.  Love how McBeanes just go with the better fit at the time, don't let the media distract them.   

And we'll end up with two starting calibre DBs instead of just one.  Works for me. 

I think it will be situational to start.  If the matchup requires physical man to man coverage on a guy like, say, Allen Robinson- we'll see more Elam.  If we want to play more true zone in a given week it will be more Benford.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills went into the draft looking to get a starting CB.  As long as they get one, regardless of whether it's Elam or Benford, it was a successful draft.  If they can get 2...

And I agree that Benford is/should be looking better because this is his type of defense.  Hopefully Elam will get there and prove to be even better than Benford.

• Like (+1) 1

I will never understand this obsession fans and media place on draft position.  I assure you the coaches dont care where a player was taken, they will start and play the guy they feel is the most ready to help them win that game.  And that can change as the season goes on too.  

Elam not being ready week 1 does not in any way indicate he will be a bust either.  He was drafted knowing there are things he must correct before he will be ready to contribute, the main one being how handsy he is.  There is nothing coaches hate more than free yards and free first downs from penalties.  

So if they feel like Elam isn't there yet and Benford is, they will start Benford.  There is also the possibility neither of them starts week 1 if Tre is ready and they go with Dane and Tre as the starters to begin the season.  

And at the end of the day, both started a preseason game and had a solid day against a first team offense despite not even having the first team defense around them.  So its a good problem to have when you have a 6th rounder out producing his draft position and pushing for playing time.  Elam may need more time before they trust him out there, its not a big deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Right so:

Dane - ??? - ???

TJ - Neal - ???

Elam/Benford - ??? - ???

one of Elam or Benford will be starting week 1.

There aren't 3 starting outside corners. There are only 2.

58 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Benford is listed at 6’1, he’s not taller than Elam. But he is probably a more natural fit for this scheme. 

Elam will be really good, he just needs time to adjust. 

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will never understand this obsession fans and media place on draft position.  I assure you the coaches dont care where a player was taken, they will start and play the guy they feel is the most ready to help them win that game.  And that can change as the season goes on too.  

Elam not being ready week 1 does not in any way indicate he will be a bust either.  He was drafted knowing there are things he must correct before he will be ready to contribute, the main one being how handsy he is.  There is nothing coaches hate more than free yards and free first downs from penalties.  

So if they feel like Elam isn't there yet and Benford is, they will start Benford.  There is also the possibility neither of them starts week 1 if Tre is ready and they go with Dane and Tre as the starters to begin the season.  

And at the end of the day, both started a preseason game and had a solid day against a first team offense despite not even having the first team defense around them.  So its a good problem to have when you have a 6th rounder out producing his draft position and pushing for playing time.  Elam may need more time before they trust him out there, its not a big deal. 

Whether it’s an obsession or whatever you want to call it, it still is a surprise if a 6th round pick is outperforming the 1st round pick.  Beane put Elam in the category of a player they placed a 1st round grade on.  The Bills did not grade Benford in that category.  So I agree that if Benford is already outperforming his 6th round grade versus our 1st rounder, that’s great, but I get this being a topic of discussion.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Booth was a hugely popular pick on these boards during the draft. Did he run more man or zone at Clemson? It’s interesting the Bills didn’t have a first round grade on him, but that could’ve been due to his injury history.

Clemson's D used him like we use Tre. It was primarily a zone scheme but they played bits of man and would sometimes man Booth up and play zone around him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.