Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

The suggestion is the 6th round corner is outplaying the 1st round corner based on a speculative article. They both looked good vs Colts. If they are both good, that’s a great problem to have. The likely case is Elam gets more field time this year. That is based on draft status, upside, and a solid if not spectacular camp. The Bills draft DB’s well and develop them well. Let’s give McBeane and Leslie Frazier credit. It’s only good news for me. 

I mean, who cares?? Didn't we all know that it might take Elam a min to figure out the league? 

We need him to have things on lockdown by November. Same with Tre. Stealing Von from the Rams is going to help out so much here. Plus we're another year in for Oliver, Rousseau, and Edmunds. It's not like we need to cover all day back there. And even if we do, Taron is fine to move outside, Dane & Siran know the system well, and we have the best safety tandem in the league. 

I hope Benford continues to impress but I am absolutely NOT worried about Elam. These kids should be worked in slowly and at their own pace, and we should trust that McD and Leslie know what they're doing here. They've given us every reason to believe they do when it comes to DBs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We just have to let this play out.  Competition is a good thing in pre season.

Tre is not ready to play and personally I don't see him even starting until midway through this season.

ACL surgery and getting back to 100% full potential takes more than 9 months for this to happen.

It does not matter if your in the NFL or not on this type of surgery.  I had this done on my ACL and MCL on my right knee and rehabbed 5 out of every 7 days for 12 months until I felt good enough to trust doing anything 100% on my repaired knee, athletically related.  Even after that I used a brace for reassurance.

Cornerback is probably the worst position to have this type of injury.  You are constantly reacting while covering a receiver.  Pivoting and making abrupt directional changes is very hard on your knee, even more so after this type of injury and surgery.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You have the right crime (not investing enough in offense, I have argued that myself too - not just outside receiver but offensive line where they remain questionable) but you are charging the wrong criminal. 

There has NOT been an over investment in the secondary. It is the defensive line where they have poured resource after resource for minimal gain. 

We'll revisit this topic when Buffalo invests a high pick to replace Hyde and/or Poyer in the short term.  

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

We'll revisit this topic when Buffalo invests a high pick to replace Hyde and/or Poyer in the short term.  

What and you will claim victory by saying they over prioritise defensive backs before they actually did? 

If they spend a 1st on a safety next April we are having a different conversation. See how this works? We go on the evidence of what HAS happened not the supposition of what might.

Edited by GunnerBill

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What and you will claim victory by saying they over prioritise defensive backs before they actually did? 

If they spend a 1st on a safety next April we are having a different conversation. See how this works? We go on the evidence of what HAS happened not the supposition of what might.

But then he wouldn't be right.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ddaryl said:

NO!!!!  It's great having a 5th rounder playing way above his draft status.

Majority of camp reports are positive on both players....Both are going to make their mistakes, but both are also rising to the challenge.

Great problem to have....

6 hours ago, Doc said:

If "outplaying" meant "he sucks but not as bad as the 1st rounder," I'd agree.  But "outplaying" here is "good chance to start and slightly ahead of the 1st rounder."

Shhhhhhh, this ruins the narrative that some on here are unfortunately trying to build

8 hours ago, ddaryl said:

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Elam played today before Benford suggesting he is ahead of him on depth chart. Both played fine, Elam with a penalty overall ok. Benford good in run support. I’m actually impressed with both and depth at CB seems to be holding up. 

Benford as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They've invested a lot in their entire defense.    

The only exception, prior to this offseason, had been their second boundary CB.

Which they have now spent another first round pick on.    

The rest of their starting back 7 on D are all on very lucrative contracts.   Even the slot corner.

That is "evidence".

Your perception that they haven't invested heavily in the secondary is very wrong...........they have just gotten better results/bang-for-the-buck from White, Johnson, Hyde and Poyer than they have out of their DL investments to this point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They've invested a lot in their entire defense.    

The only exception, prior to this offseason, had been their second boundary CB.

Which they have now spent another first round pick on.    

The rest of their starting back 7 on D are all on very lucrative contracts.   Even the slot corner.

That is "evidence".

Your perception that they haven't invested heavily in the secondary is very wrong...........they have just gotten better results/bang-for-the-buck from White, Johnson, Hyde and Poyer than they have out of their DL investments to this point.

Is there any position, maybe aside from TE, in which the Bills haven't 'invested heavily'?

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Is there any position, maybe aside from TE, in which the Bills haven't 'invested heavily'?

OL, WR and TE.........basically positions that usually account for 8-9 of the 11 on the field every snap.

Keep in mind, it's relative........we all know how much they've put into the DL........but presuming that Elam passes Dane Jackson at some point this season.........the defensive back 7 are all on big money deals for their positions or/and were first round picks......White, Edmunds, Elam.

By contrast,  the Bills OL only has 2 such players(Dawkins and Morse) out of 5.....for example.   No first round picks.  Bates got a modest RFA deal for a full time starter and Saffold is only a 1 year flyer........something they only seem to do on offense(see Crowder/Quessenberry/Mancz deals).

Maybe it works out because Josh Allen is just so great that he can make a lot of players look better than they are..........but with all the lucrative deals and 5 of 7 first rounders used on defense by this regime there is no denying they've put a lot more of their premium personnel chips into the defensive side of the ball.

Personally,  I'd rather the Bills have gone for becoming the first NFL team to average 38 points per game in a regular season and take my chances with a top 5-10 type defense instead of a defense that should finish 1st overall with a bullet(again, but admittedly might not because defense is the much harder side of the ball to remain consistently excellent on, see 2020).    

That more defense-centric approach to team building didn't work last season when the thin OL and lack of YAC receiving talent undermined them thru the first 13 games.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:32 AM, mjd1001 said:

As is the thinking in all of our society. There is minimal critical thinking.

Watch your news network of choice, follow who you want on social media. Argue with people on message boards.  People no longer read opinions, THINK about them, and then develop or alter their thinking.  Now it is a matter of finding a source of information that you WANT to believe, have it presented to you in a way that you want to hear, and then take it as truth.

It's called confirmation bias.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, Billy Claude said:

One of my pet peeves on this board is people responding to headlines without even bothering to read the article.

My biggest pet peeve is the majority of people here who reply to a post on page 2 instead of reading the entire 5 page thread before then replying.

It's more than likely that someone has already made the point you were too impatient to wait on so you're only adding to the clutter of unnecessary replies within the topic.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Is that what they have been calling Jake, JakeFrommStateFarm or did you create that.  Creative name and I looked up Jake Fromm and they have that as his nick name on Wikipedia.  Wonder if you should get credit..

While we're asking questions about usernames, what was your reaction when Rutger Hauer passed away?

461055137_KaiirElamgraphic.thumb.jpeg.18754511ff5f22381f81ae49402ebc4a.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the above graphic from yesterday's game was illuminating.

Regarding Benford, he excelled/dominated at his previous level of competition:

"Benford played in nine games with eight starts as a true freshman and was named the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Defensive Rookie of the Year and third team All-CAA after making 49 tackles with six pass breakups and five interceptions. He played in ten games with seven starts as a sophomore and broke up five passes with one interception. Benford was named first team All-CAA in his junior season, which was shortened and played in the spring of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States. As a senior, Benford recorded 39 tackles with seven interceptions and an NCAA Division I FCS-leading 18 passes broken up and was again named first team All-CAA."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OL, WR and TE.........basically positions that usually account for 8-9 of the 11 on the field every snap.

Keep in mind, it's relative........we all know how much they've put into the DL........but presuming that Elam passes Dane Jackson at some point this season.........the defensive back 7 are all on big money deals for their positions or/and were first round picks......White, Edmunds, Elam.

By contrast,  the Bills OL only has 2 such players(Dawkins and Morse) out of 5.....for example.   No first round picks.  Bates got a modest RFA deal for a full time starter and Saffold is only a 1 year flyer........something they only seem to do on offense(see Crowder/Quessenberry/Mancz deals).

Maybe it works out because Josh Allen is just so great that he can make a lot of players look better than they are..........but with all the lucrative deals and 5 of 7 first rounders used on defense by this regime there is no denying they've put a lot more of their premium personnel chips into the defensive side of the ball.

Personally,  I'd rather the Bills have gone for becoming the first NFL team to average 38 points per game in a regular season and take my chances with a top 5-10 type defense instead of a defense that should finish 1st overall with a bullet(again, but admittedly might not because defense is the much harder side of the ball to remain consistently excellent on, see 2020).    

That more defense-centric approach to team building didn't work last season when the thin OL and lack of YAC receiving talent undermined them thru the first 13 games.   

Yes, I specifically excluded the TE position.

OL:  2nd round picks in Ford (trade up), Brown and Dawkins.  Big $$ extension for Dawkins, healthy FA deal given to Morse, Bates offer sheet matched.

WR:  massive extension for Diggs (1st and 4th [I believe] traded to acquire Diggs), 4th round pick in Davis.  If Davis is extended, that also won't be cheap. 

11 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Yes, I specifically excluded the TE position.

OL:  2nd round picks in Ford (trade up), Brown and Dawkins.  Big $$ extension for Dawkins, healthy FA deal given to Morse, Bates offer sheet matched.

WR:  massive extension for Diggs (1st and 4th [I believe] traded to acquire Diggs), 4th round pick in Davis.  If Davis is extended, that also won't be cheap. 

Obviously Brown wasn't a second round pick,  he was the 93rd pick in 2021 draft.   DL's Greg Rousseau and Boogie Basham were the Bills first two picks in 2021.  

Bates had his offer sheet matched but they weren't willing to give him the modest second round tender to avoid having to deal with an offer sheet.    His deal will be cheap if he plays all 1,000 snaps per year as a starting OL should.    Compare that to the deals that all the free agent rotational DL got when they are only going to play just 45% of the snaps or so.  

Talking about potential Davis and Knox extensions like they are moves that have been made is no different than talking about Edmunds or Oliver extensions.........or presuming that next year's #1 pick will be a DE or MLB or a Safety etc.............we may see things trending that way but what we are talking about here are moves that have actually been made in the first 6 offseason of the regime.    

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.