Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

5 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

What are we even talking about? This is like the debates I had with my X. It's no reflection on Elam, minimal on anyone really, as that spot really doesn't hit very often. If he ends up being good Beane and scouting department should get some credit, no? I mean he's from Villanova. It's not like this is the first or even second or even third time we have found a very good player late. In any event,  I could care less who becomes "the man". I just want one of them to be good, preferably both. 

I thought we were talking how you hoped Benford wouldn’t be so good that that it made Elam look bad as you implied in the post I replied to. If this post, which I agree with BTW,  is offered as clarification on your earlier post, then I thank you for clearing it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A ton of what? Certainly not draft capital. They have only spent two picks in the first 3 rounds on DBs since McDermott arrived (although they were both 1st rounders). Compare that to the investment on the defensive line. And while they have paid White, Poyer and Hyde only White is getting close to top of the market money. Poyer and Hyde were mid level FA acquisitions. 

I agree on missing first rounders btw, never a good thing. Elam played pretty well last weekend I don't think from what I have seen it is a case of him flopping so much as Benford has really shone. I thought he was the Bills best player in game 1. If we get towards the business end of the season and Elam can't get on the field over a 6th rounder and former 7th rounder that will be grounds to worry.

2 first round picks in 6 drafts is a lot of draft capital, particularly when their WR depth is as poor as it is.  As are the UFA/re-signing contracts for 2 safeties and a nickel CB.

At some point, the defensive investment needs to pay dividends and, considering the original point of this thread, that should be this season.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I thought we were talking how you hoped Benford wouldn’t be so good that that it made Elam look bad as you implied in the post I replied to. If this post, which I agree with BTW,  is offered as clarification on your earlier post, then I thank you for clearing it up. 

Ya, I was just being a smart ass in the other one. I didn't understand why so many seemed negative that we might have landed a steal. I want Elam to be good as well, but when the dust settles it means little as far as draft order. I'll take the cumulative results.  We are on the same page. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

What do you not understand?

Starting corners without Tre: Dane Jackson and one of Elam OR Benford. Elam AND Benford will likely not both be starting. Dane Jackson will be one of the starting corners.

Right so Dane being ahead of both of them doesn't really matter because one of them is going to have to start lol

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Right so Dane being ahead of both of them doesn't really matter because one of them is going to have to start lol

You stated we need 3 starting outside corners, insinuating that BOTH Elam and Benford would be starting with Dane.

Of course one of them will be starting. But likely not both, which is what you originally claimed.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

You stated we need 3 starting outside corners, insinuating that BOTH Elam and Benford would be starting with Dane.

Of course one of them will be starting. But likely not both, which is what you originally claimed.

I did not.

You stated they were "both behind Jackson anyway."  But of course, that means one of them will start.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Maynard said:

Did you have an opinion on Benford coming out of this draft? Or is he an ultimate surprise? Personally, I knew nothing about him. 

No hadn't watched him at all.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

2 first round picks in 6 drafts is a lot of draft capital, particularly when their WR depth is as poor as it is.  As are the UFA/re-signing contracts for 2 safeties and a nickel CB.

At some point, the defensive investment needs to pay dividends and, considering the original point of this thread, that should be this season.  

It really isn't when the next best pick they have spent there in those 6 drafts is a 4th rounder. 

Over investment in DEFENSE fair enough. Over investment in SECONDARY? Nah. And the investments they have made have paid divideneds. Where they have over invested without the return is 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third on the Dline plus big FA deals for Star, Addison, Butler, Murphy and now Von. 

Edit: just by way of comparison the last three Superbowl Champs in the same period -

Rams - three day 2 picks spent on DBs plus two 1st rounders traded away for Jalen Ramsey and one 2nd rounder for Marcus Peters. 

Bucaneers - no 1st rounders but SIX day two picks on DBs in the same period.

Chiefs - one 1st rounder, two day 2 picks, a big FA deal for Tyrann Mathieu and now a slightly smaller FA deal for Justin Reid that still outstrips what the Bills have paid either of their safeties in AAV.  

Think it is hard to look at that and argue the Bills have ploughed lots of resources into their secondary relative to other successful teams. The argument doesn't hold water.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Ideally White and Jackson are the CBs in 2022 and play the majority of snaps. Benford is a nice story and can fill in for spot duty. Benford also has shown press man power disrupting the WR release in a way White or Jackson lack.  

Elam has all the physical metrics and football intelligence from SEC competition. What he doesn’t have is experience of going against NFL offenses. Elam was projected as an eventual NFL starter. So there will be a ramp period but inevitably his ceiling is higher than Benford’s at CB.

Benford is a good physical corner, who projects as a scheme fit corner. His measured athleticism speaks to a boundary corner zone scheme or press man with safety help over the top. Benford is better matchup against bigger NFL WRs with his press capability. Benford could also take on TEs like Kelce at the line. Benford is never going to be able to play nickel corner on a shifty slot WR who can separate. 

Both rookies have never seen the grind of a 17 game NFL season. Injuries minor bumps accumulate and speed and agility will wane as the season grinds on.

Benford lacks the pure athleticism needed to cover #1 NFL WRs in a man scheme zero coverage. He is not as fast nor agile as White or Elam.

Long term Benford projects well amazingly well as a safety. If the Bills goal is to replace Poyer in 2023, perhaps Benford is plugged into his spot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Think it is hard to look at that and argue the Bills have ploughed lots of resources into their secondary relative to other successful teams. The argument doesn't hold water.

That's part of the problem on a message board or in the media.. nobody wants to dive into the detail. Everything is very surface level and lack critical thinking. 

They want to look at teams individually and view success as binary: Win = Successful and Lose = Bad.

When in reality each decision is so much more nuanced, is dependent on so many factors and can really only be considered good or bad by comparison to similar decisions. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.