Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is this a bad thing or a good thing? I mean unless Benford is playing bad then I consider this a very good thing.

If I had to apportion reasons I think it is maybe 20% Elam not quite being where they hoped he would at this stage and 80% Benford just being excellent. Started camp with the 3s. Was with the 1s inside 2 weeks. That isn't just spin and hype. That is the reality. He earned that time on the field. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm not looking at which of the 2 rookies is better, I am looking at it as is one or both of them better than Wallace was? Can either of them fill in until Tre returns? If so, then we improved. That is all I am looking for. Doesn't matter where they were drafted to me. Did we get better as a team? I liked Wallace, but, we needed just a little more than he could physically do. Heaven forbid, we got two CB'S out of this draft. Oh, the agony. 😉

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean this team simply can coach up DB's like no other...maybe New England who always seems to get similar results even from low drafted or undrafted players like JC Jackson and Malcolm Butler. McD and Frazier are DB Whisperers.

I don't want to see Tre until the trainers are doubly and triply sure there won't be even a 1% extra risk of him playing that he could re-injure himself.

I want to see tre at a normal recovery point as every game is crucial and he keeps don’t need to baby him over a common injury 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is this a bad thing or a good thing? I mean unless Benford is playing bad then I consider this a very good thing.

It's a good problem to have, but it is also bad in that you might have to make an extra roster spot then on the 53 if Benford is that good.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I had to apportion reasons I think it is maybe 20% Elam not quite being where they hoped he would at this stage and 80% Benford just being excellent. Started camp with the 3s. Was with the 1s inside 2 weeks. That isn't just spin and hype. That is the reality. He earned that time on the field. 

Did you have an opinion on Benford coming out of this draft? Or is he an ultimate surprise? Personally, I knew nothing about him. 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I want to see tre at a normal recovery point as every game is crucial and he keeps don’t need to baby him over a common injury 

Common and also at high risk of reinjury if rushed back.

I'll wait an extra game or two rather than lose him for another 9 months when he has to have the same ACL repaired again.

39 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I really hope Benford doesn't end up being such a steal he makes our #1 look bad. That would be awful. We really have some first world football problems around here. 

Can’t disagree more. If Benford becomes a first ballot HOFer, that’s no reflection on Elam, Beane, our scouts or anyone else. 

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Tre White is hurt lmao

What do you not understand?

Starting corners without Tre: Dane Jackson and one of Elam OR Benford. Elam AND Benford will likely not both be starting. Dane Jackson will be one of the starting corners.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can’t disagree more. If Benford becomes a first ballot HOFer, that’s no reflection on Elam, Beane, our scouts or anyone else. 

What are we even talking about? This is like the debates I had with my X. It's no reflection on Elam, minimal on anyone really, as that spot really doesn't hit very often. If he ends up being good Beane and scouting department should get some credit, no? I mean he's from Villanova. It's not like this is the first or even second or even third time we have found a very good player late. In any event,  I could care less who becomes "the man". I just want one of them to be good, preferably both. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.