Benford is outplaying 1st rounder Elam in camp (edit) Benford gets start

Inigo Montoya

I've included a link to a youtube video of Jenna Cottrell and Mike Catalana from Buffalo Plus discussing the rookie CBs in training camp / preseason so far.  I think they are really solid reporters on the Bills and I watch all of their content.  They echo what I have heard from other camp watchers, namely, that Benford is outplaying Elam so far.   It would be something for McDermott and Frazier to start the #180 pick ahead of the #30 pick, but if Benford is outplaying Elam they need to put him out there.  They need the best CBs on the field regardless of their draft status.  This is especially true if Tre White is not ready to go at the start of the season or needs some time to round back into form.

We've seen late draft picks force their way onto the field with stellar play before.  One of my favorite Bills, 5th rounder Kyle Williams, comes to mind.  The Bills just couldn't keep him off the field.  Will Benford force McDermott and Frazier's hand and leapfrog him ahead of Elam to start the season?

The section talking about Elam and Benford starts around the 4:40 minute mark

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

Training camp and one preseason game is not enough to make any bold declarations like Benford should be starting over Elam.

It looks like Dane Jackson is ahead of both of them anyway, right now.

Just have to see how things play out. But Elam was brought in partly because of his elite physical traits, something we were lacking at CB.

Excited for Benford and what he can bring to the table as well.

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So far, Benford looks like the real deal.   One pre season game looked great but obviously a long way to go.   Very important because I don't think there is any realistic way Tre will be ready nor should he play week 1.  

I think that those holding out hope that we will see Tre suit up week one, or even week two, should probably reconsider. If he hasn’t even joined basic activities at this point, he’s not gonna be cleared in sufficient time to be ready. As for Benford versus Elam, may the best man win. It would be sad to not have the first round player out there, but what would be sadder would be to have a player who is not ready to perform on the big stage forced into a role because of their draft status .

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

I mean this team simply can coach up DB's like no other...maybe New England who always seems to get similar results even from low drafted or undrafted players like JC Jackson and Malcolm Butler. McD and Frazier are DB Whisperers.

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think that those holding out hope that we will see Tre suit up week one, or even week two, should probably reconsider. If he hasn’t even joined basic activities at this point, he’s not gonna be cleared in sufficient time to be ready. As for Benford versus Elam, may the best man win. It would be sad to not have the first round player out there, but what would be sadder would be to have a player who is not ready to perform on the big stage forced into a role because of their draft status .

I don't want to see Tre until the trainers are doubly and triply sure there won't be even a 1% extra risk of him playing that he could re-injure himself.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've included a link to a youtube video of Jenna Cottrell and Mike Catalana from Buffalo Plus discussing the rookie CBs in training camp / preseason so far.  I think they are really solid reporters on the Bills and I watch all of their content.  They echo what I have heard from other camp watchers, namely, that Benford is outplaying Elam so far.   It would be something for McDermott and Frazier to start the #180 pick ahead of the #30 pick, but if Benford is outplaying Elam they need to put him out there.  They need the best CBs on the field regardless of their draft status.  This is especially true if Tre White is not ready to go at the start of the season or needs some time to round back into form.

We've seen late draft picks force their way onto the field with stellar play before.  One of my favorite Bills, 5th rounder Kyle Williams, comes to mind.  The Bills just couldn't keep him off the field.  Will Benford force McDermott and Frazier's hand and leapfrog him ahead of Elam to start the season?

The section talking about Elam and Benford starts around the 4:40 minute mark

I wouldn't put too much into training camp...Elam looked really good defensively in coverage for the most part in his first game.  If he takes a little longer to develop then so be it.  It doesn't matter who is on the field as long as they play well.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not sure I’d say that. It would be a great problem to have if both were playing so great that you didn’t know who to choose.

Buffalo’s 1st round pick being outplayed by a late round selection isn’t ideal though.

JC Jackson was undrafted

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not sure I’d say that. It would be a great problem to have if both were playing so great that you didn’t know who to choose.

Buffalo’s 1st round pick being outplayed by a late round selection isn’t ideal though.

There both playing well, and this debate is far from settled.

I think that is where we are at, both are playing at a solid level that its going to come down to the last 2 preseason games 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

JC Jackson was undrafted

yes, he was. I never said benford couldn’t be a good CB because he was a late pick. I’m just saying that ideally you want your 1st round picks playing better than your late round picks from the same draft.

Do you disagree?

edit - just to be clear I’m not writing off Elam either. I think he will be fine in the long run. He’s transitioning from man to zone.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Training camp and one preseason game is not enough to make any bold declarations like Benford should be starting over Elam.

It looks like Dane Jackson is ahead of both of them anyway, right now.

Just have to see how things play out. But Elam was brought in partly because of his elite physical traits, something we were lacking at CB.

Excited for Benford and what he can bring to the table as well.

But we need 3 starting CB's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I wouldn't put too much into training camp...Elam looked really good defensively in coverage for the most part in his first game.  If he takes a little longer to develop then so be it.  It doesn't matter who is on the field as long as they play well.

JC Jackson was undrafted

Also Elam gets drafted, shows up to camp and basically gets told "see Diggs, Davis and McKenzie over there? Cover those dudes"

Diggs has regularly made the top CBs in the league look utterly silly the last 2 years. We're expecting our first round pick to be prime Revis first day of camp? Come on.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

There both playing well, and this debate is far from settled.

I think that is where we are at, both are playing at a solid level that its going to come down to the last 2 preseason games 

Yeah it’s probably too soon to judge. Let’s see how the rest of the preseason goes.

Ultimately what matters is how they play in the regular season anyway.

And Elam has been going against the 1’s most of camp. I don’t know if Benford has too? If not, that also matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

yes, he was. I never said benford couldn’t be a good CB because he was a late pick. I’m just saying that ideally you want your 1st round picks playing better than your late round picks from the same draft.

Do you disagree?

edit - just to be clear I’m not writing off Elam either. I think he will be fine in the long run. He’s transitioning from man to zone.

I don't disagree in general, but draft position doesn't always reflect talent level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.