Did Tyrod Taylor get a raw deal in Buffalo?

JohnNord

Tyrod is back in the news as the NY media is trying to stir up a QB controversy.   Apparently Emily Kaplan of ESPN.com said that he got a “raw deal” in Buffalo and everyone favorite columnist decided to chime in:

This led to some debate on Twitter amongst Bills fans.  Over the past few years there have been a vocal part of the fan base who stan for Tyrod.  They believe he was under appreciated and deserves more love and more credit for “ending the drought.”  Also they wonder why Bills fans regard Ryan Fitzpatrick so highly but are just meh when it comes to Tyrod.  

What do you think?

Personally, I think Tyrod was a decent starting QB and that he added a lot of excitement following a pretty bleak decade at QB.   It was no doubt a mistake and knee jerk reaction by McDermott to replace him with Peterman.  But I can still remember how poorly he played the week before 

But I also think that Tyrod was a victim of circumstance.  Bills fans were ready for an elite-level QB that could win games and elevate the rest of the team.  That’s not Tyrod.  He plays smart and safe but he needs a lot of help around him to be successful.

This was on full display during the playoff loss in Jacksonville and many times in the past - especially during the 2017 season.   He never took over any games, and at times, it seemed like he was a game manager.

As far as the comparison with Fitz - IMO it has to do with a few factors that aren’t related to the Bills:

1. Fitzpatrick has a funny, quick witted personality.

2. Fitzpatrick had some success prior to leaving Buffalo.

3. Fitzpatrick has always spoken highly of Buffalo since he left.

So I don’t think Tyrod gets a “raw deal.”   He should be remembered as an exciting QB, who played good for the most part and energized the fan base.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I like Tyrod for what he is, but I don't think it's particularly accurate or nuanced to describe his tenure here as getting a raw deal. I don't think anyone thought he would be more than training camp fodder when we first brought him in, and he was given a chance to earn a starting role he kept for 3 seasons. By itself that's a helluva NFL career for the majority of players that seriously try to make it. 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 5

Tyrod is that QB that's good enough to win enough games to keep you in QB purgatory. 

He is a good transition QB that will prevent you from letting a young QB play and develop, which I do believe is why he was shipped off when Allen arrived. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Tyrod is back in the news as the NY media is trying to stir up a QB controversy.   Apparently Emily Kaplan of ESPN.com said that he got a “raw deal” in Buffalo and everyone favorite columnist decided to chime in:

This led to some debate on Twitter amongst Bills fans.  Over the past few years there have been a vocal part of the fan base who stan for Tyrod.  They believe he was under appreciated and deserves more love and more credit for “ending the drought.”  Also they wonder why Bills fans regard Ryan Fitzpatrick so highly but are just meh when it comes to Tyrod.  

What do you think?

Personally, I think Tyrod was a decent starting QB and that he added a lot of excitement following a pretty bleak decade at QB.   It was no doubt a mistake and knee jerk reaction by McDermott to replace him with Peterman.  But I can still remember how poorly he played the week before 

But I also think that Tyrod was a victim of circumstance.  Bills fans were ready for an elite-level QB that could win games and elevate the rest of the team.  That’s not Tyrod.  He plays smart and safe but he needs a lot of help around him to be successful.

This was on full display during the playoff loss in Jacksonville and many times in the past - especially during the 2017 season.   He never took over any games, and at times, it seemed like he was a game manager.

As far as the comparison with Fitz - IMO it has to do with a few factors that aren’t related to the Bills:

1. Fitzpatrick has a funny, quick witted personality.

2. Fitzpatrick had some success prior to leaving Buffalo.

3. Fitzpatrick has always spoken highly of Buffalo since he left.

So I don’t think Tyrod gets a “raw deal.”   He should be remembered as an exciting QB, who played good for the most part and energized the fan base.  

Who in the NY media is stirring this up. Isn't ESPN in Connecticut?

• Like (+1) 2

how the hell did he get a raw deal again?

he won the starting job and played more than he ever had prior to that point.

he proved to be career a journeyman/bridge QB and that has held up over the past several seasons

• Like (+1) 3

Tyrod had all the tools physically. He even had a good arm, he just wouldn't use it. You couldn't pay Tyrod to throw it down field. He was as timid a thrower as Buffalo ever had at QB

Edited by pigpen65
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

No. 

Tyrod hit his ceiling in his 2nd season. 

He was so inept, we had to see Peterman throw 5INTS 

It's a bad argument, exactly how many teams have looked at him as a serious starting QB since Buffalo?

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was never a good QB, he was just so much better than EJ Manuel before him, that it seemed like success. We moved on at the right time.

It was very frustrating to watch him, aside from his runs. Seemed like every other pass play would go like this: Tyrod watch a receiver come open, then not decide to throw it until it was too late, then into scramble drill.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I will always appreciate Tyrod for his role in helping end the drought.

His post-Bills history confirms he did not get shafted here.

The rawest deal he got was from the Chargers team physician who did not know how to administer a simple injection.

• Like (+1) 8

No, Tyrol is talking out his backside, he was a average to below average QB, and that shows you how bad Buffalo’s previous QBs were.

We were the only football team he has been on that gave him a legitimate chance to be an NFL Starting Quarterback and he failed. You could argue we didn't put enough pieces around him but great QB's overcome that to an extent. He failed to become  that guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.