Chargers Safety Derwin James Massive New Contract

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think it would be irresponsible for the Bills to keep both Poyer and Hyde beyond this season. Unless one or both are willing to take considerably below-market deals to chase championships, which I don't see as likely. Let Poyer ball out in 2022 and then test the market. Continue to develop the pipeline behind him. One of either Johnson or Hamlin could develop; maybe Johnson already has? I think the money needs to be re-routed to the offense either way (WRs, TEs, and OLs).  

Two All Pro safeties over 30 is a luxury the Bills probably can't afford after this season. And that's okay.

Correct. So just win the Big One this year so someone can either retire or move on happily.  Geez Louize I’m excited for this season now!!!!

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think its pretty obvious that Poyer isn't getting some large extension if he gets any contract extension at all. This team has a lot of big time players coming up that need to be re-signed. Poyer is also at a disadvantage in this as well. 

The Bills are pretty well positioned with replacements. Yes Jaquan Johnson isn't to his level but he is a replacement level player on a much cheaper contract. Also Poyer is older, its probably not in his best interest to sit out this year, hit FA, and hope some team gives him a large contract after he has been out a full year. 

The best case is Poyer gets either a short extension 1-2 years at moderate money, or he plays out this year, balls out, and becomes a Free Agent and gets a deal similar to Justin Reid or Tyrann Mathieu from another team. 

Jaquan is a FA after this season too. He is going to be their third safety this year but unless they extend him he is going to be gone after this season. Maybe they will extend him try and get him cheap and then hope he is ready to step right in, who knows? Alternatively the other "in-house" candidate is Damar Hamlin and he to me is a bit more of a natural replacement for Jordan. Last year when Jordan didn't play against Houston they used Micah in the box much more and let Jaquan play as the centre fielder. The Bills safeties are relatively interchangeable but generally Poyer is the default box player and Hyde plays centre field. I see Jaquan a bit more as a Micah Hyde and Damar Hamlin a bit more as a Jordan Poyer. 

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah, looks like Poyer will be on the way out.. Beane waited too long on this one (but no sure he had to cap room to spare in any event).  

I love Po but I think letting him play out this year and then walk and get paid elsewhere is the right play. We will have had 6 fantastic years out of him and he gets to get one last payday (but probably from a non-contending team with cap space). Hopefully we can send him on his way with a ring. The Bills have to pay their young core and that means slowly but surely the vets who formed the first core group of the McDermott era will have to be sacrificed - Jerry Hughes, Cole Beasley, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Mitch Morse etc...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I love Po but I think letting him play out this year and then walk and get paid elsewhere is the right play. We will have had 6 fantastic years out of him and he gets to get one last payday (but probably from a non-contending team with cap space). Hopefully we can send him on his way with a ring. The Bills have to pay their young core and that means slowly but surely the vets who formed the first core group of the McDermott era will have to be sacrificed - Jerry Hughes, Cole Beasley, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Mitch Morse etc...

the bills have overpaid, and i suspect not without understanding that they are overpaying, for a number of guys/contracts.  the sad DL we shipped out after last season are all earning much less and frankly show no chance to make an impact in the nfl (maybe phillips excepted).  

with Poyer, the FO basically either has to let him walk or over pay him, there is no middle ground on this.  given the effectiveness of our D (pass d and secondary particularly) that we've managed with some real scrubs at corner last year i HOPE that this was the result of our superior coaching and scheme, and not from our safeties being just kings, cuz then it would really suck to lose any of em.

the carolina D that mccoach used to run makes me think its more coaching.  norman, the CB, went to DC and looked a JAG.  that D was all about the d line causing a ruckus, and being balanced and somewhat savage in pursuit behind a deep line.  i think we may finally have that the way sean wanted it here this season, which along w our O being able to actually hand a ball off and gain yards might just get us a chip.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Spot on, you can’t be paying everyone.  The luxury of a rookie QB contract is over.  Unfortunately, they waited a little too long on Diggs and the WR market went stupid, now that’s eating more cap too.  Honestly, I think the D is about to get SHAKEN up next off season.  I will not be surprised (especially if they do manage a SB win) to see Oliver, Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde, all not get new deals.   Oliver is a good player, would love him back, but they signed Settle to play the same role for way less and they rotate guys, it’s not worth dropping 15+ a year on a rotational DT.  Edmunds, love him or hate him is going to get 15+, I hope it’s not here.  Poyer should get a 2 year 25+ deal somewhere, Hyde should be getting more.  Age is a factor at S, usage at DT and you can flat out do better at LB.  They have been retooling the DL for years and with Frazier’s soft and rotational scheme, it’s hard to be an impact guy.   They really need to stop the run and contain QBs more than worry about paying big money for 2 extra sacks a year.   I could see most of the Vets being goners in the next year or 2.   Miller’s deal does have an early out if he falls off or they need it too.   They are going to pay the guys on O and let McClappy earn his keep on the D.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sad but true, simple reality.

The much maligned evil overlord Bill Belichek was infamous for cutting/trading/letting aged veterans go when they got long in the tooth and expensive.

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mark it down.....Jordan Battle will be the first round pick of the Bills next year. 

24 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Mark it down.....Jordan Battle will be the first round pick of the Bills next year. 

Nah. The Bills already have guys to step into Poyer's role. If Jordan Battle is the BPA at 32 so be it, but I don't think they'll spend a 1st rounder on a safety. 

• Disagree 1

J. Johnson will probably be extended at a decent price, Hyde will be here at least in 2023 and then will be 34 in 2024.  We are probably using 2 2nd round draft picks in 2023 and 2024 (meaning one each year).  Hyde gets to mentor the safety picked in next years draft, and we’ll get younger.

I wished Poyer was extended at say $11 mil./yr. for an extra 2 years, but these high contracts put that out of range now.  No safety is worth $18-19 mil.

You save big contracts for QB, LT, EDGE, and #1 CB.  We may spend quite a bit on Oliver if he blows up those interior Lines for our opponents.  With Von on the edge demanding double teams, Oliver should benefit the most from the Miller acquisition.

Love Po. Want him to stay but let’s be brutally honest: at this point, Poyer isn’t interested in fair. He simply wants to be paid. Any “fairness” the team gets out of the deal is incidental. We know this because:

a) His wife is on record saying that he is done taking team friendly deals.

b) He even went as far as to hire the most money-hungry agent there is. 

c) He feels, justified or not, that he was skipped over/undervalued.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.