Chargers Safety Derwin James Massive New Contract

LabattBlue

I think its pretty obvious that Poyer isn't getting some large extension if he gets any contract extension at all. This team has a lot of big time players coming up that need to be re-signed. Poyer is also at a disadvantage in this as well. 

The Bills are pretty well positioned with replacements. Yes Jaquan Johnson isn't to his level but he is a replacement level player on a much cheaper contract. Also Poyer is older, its probably not in his best interest to sit out this year, hit FA, and hope some team gives him a large contract after he has been out a full year. 

The best case is Poyer gets either a short extension 1-2 years at moderate money, or he plays out this year, balls out, and becomes a Free Agent and gets a deal similar to Justin Reid or Tyrann Mathieu from another team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

In related news, Derwin James injured himself signing his contract extension and is out for the season.

Yeah.  Big commitment from the Chargers for a guy who missed 11 games in 2019, and all of 2020.  He is making it in the lineup a little more than 50% so far in his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have not seen James play enough to know if he is better than Poyer.  I would assume that he is.  He's also 26, versus 31 for Poyer.  This still is not good news for the Bills in the Poyer negotiations.

As a side note, after reading the article, I realized that I didn't know/forgot that the Chargers acquired Khalil Mack.  They've got some impressive talent on both sides of the ball and are going to be a problem.  Of course, Chargers fans can look to the Bills' acquisition of Von Miller and say the same.

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Unreal. 

We have a 1st and 2nd team all Pro.  Looks like we won't be able to resign either. 

I hope we can though

They've both been some of the best contracts in the nfl. 

I’m very confident in a McDermott ran team to make any average player work in the secondary. Bills will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

18 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’m very confident in a McDermott ran team to make any average player work in the secondary. Bills will be fine. 

I fully agree. If they only have to break in one at a time mostly I have full confidence they’ll have that player playing at a high level pretty quickly. 

24 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Re-signing Poyer is a no brainer.  All this "too old, too expensive" talk reminds me of London Fletcher.  We got rid of him and he only played 7 more seasons for the WTF's.

So? Would London Fletcher have changed the Bills' fortunes? I don't think so.

I'm all for keeping Poyer, but there's a price limit...which is also lowered by thr existence of a quality player waiting in the wings.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Cant pay everyone

Yeah, that really is the issue.  Good teams have good players, and good players want to get paid.  Beane's strategy in building the Bills has included a few big splash free agents, but he has also depended a lot on acquiring young talent with a lot of upside, and then developing that talent.  Jordan Poyer was one of those.  I had to look it up, but I think he was signed after McDermott was named head coach, but before Beane was hired as GM.  Still, he was a promising young safety with Cleveland, though entirely unproven before Buffalo signed him.  If those young, talented players do develop, they are eventually going to get paid.  GMs of successful teams have to engage in a delicate balancing act to keep their teams on top.  Who do you give a big money deal to get the best bang for your buck, and who do you let go because the money is better spent elsewhere.   I don't envy Beane's position for the challenges he's facing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.