Ranking The NFC 2022-23

corta765

We are at the point rosters are more or less set outside of some camp battles and you have a general idea of who most teams are. Given the moves this offseason across the conference and league I can't see much happening in preseason that will change peoples opinions. This is the NFC side of what I did yesterday so like I said agree, disagree, blame me for global warming (go wild), lets have some fun:

Class of the NFC

LA Rams - Defending SB champs have reloaded again with Robinson & Wagner coming in. They have some early injury questions with Stafford, Ramsey, & their RBs all having some nicks but overall they are a really sound team and roster that can easily run it back for another title.

Tampa Bay- They got Brady who always means SB is a possible and basically are running back the same roster minus Bowles in as head coach which might be better in certain ways as Arians and Brady seem to have some issues last year.

Green Bay- Outside of the WR corp the rest of the roster is stacked across the board and Rodgers is coming off two straight MVP awards. I question whether the WR corp without Adams can make up the difference to stay up with LA or TB (heck even PHI) and the Packers playoff performance as a team has left much to be desired for 3 years now. But they are a SB threat and no one would be surprised if GB is back in the title game.

Massive Potential But...

San Francisco- If you don't look at the QB position this is a SB caliber roster across the board that has been in the SB and NFC title game for 2 of the last 3 years. The question is how quickly Lance can grow into the starting role and whether he can do enough to support the rest of the roster aspirations. I think yes, but it is always easier said then done.

Philadelphia- The Eagles probably overachieved making the playoffs last year, but the additions they made in the offseason ensure that is not the case this year. Jalen Hurts does many nice things and they have surrounded him with weapons while having coaching that maximizes his best competent. Can he take the next step where going head to head with Brady Stafford or Rodgers he can go the distance with the offense?

Minnesota- The offense is loaded with playmakers, the QB statistically is good, and the new head coach comes from Sean McVay's tree of maximizing your players best attributes. The defense is a work in progress but this looks like a team that should be able to make some real strides, the question which ends up at Cousins feet is whether he can win the big games that seem to elude him when it matters. 

Paper Tigers Until Otherwise

Arizona- For two straight years Arizona at midseason looked like a heavyweight only to collapse down the stretch with last year being even worse as they went from the 1 seed in the NFC to a wildcard after finishing 1-4 and bowing out with an awful lost in the postseason. Hopkins is out for the first 6 games, the Murray offseason wasn't exactly a great showing of unity by the team, and they feel like the 3rd best team in the division. This feels like the 2016 Bills where it is a prove it year for organization (coach and gm especially), but you don't have all of your resources to maximize the task in front of you.

Dallas- Dallas has not made the NFC title since 96 and seemingly rotates between a good year and bad. Dak is a superb QB, but for some reason he always seems like he ends up on the wrong end at important times even when he does his job (2016 playoffs for example). I think Dallas and Dak will miss the consistency and presence of Amari Cooper and the depth across this roster feels light compared to their competitors. Also Mike McCarthy just seems to always want to force a sqaure peg in a round hole. 

New Orleans- I think this is actually a very improved roster that is pretty deep.... then you get to QB and throw your hands up expectation wise. Jameis was 5-2 when he went out with injury and seemed to mature as a QB. He also has never led a team to the postseason, is the charter member of the 30/30 club (TD/INT), and Sean Payton is not there to help scheme the offense. Andy Dalton is fine as a backup QB, but if he enters the game that is a bad thing for their season hopes. There may not be another team in the NFC with as wide a range of outcomes for the season.

One Of These Teams Will Probably Make The Playoffs Because Football Is Weird

Chicago Bears- The new GM and coach are trying their very best to build a cohesive team and program while having only one arm to fight with thanks to the prior GM. I think Fields has some true talent that can move the needle and Mooney/Kmet/Montgomery will help give him some weapons. The problem exists that their OL is a mess and the WR corp is barren after Mooney. That said their new coach is a defensive guru who did excellent as IND D coordinator and the Bears defense has a decent collection of talent. If they make the playoffs it is probably 2017 Bills style with an offense that can do enough complimented by solid defensive play and a little luck.

Detroit Lions- The Lions are everyone's favorite team to say "Oh yea they can sneak in this year" between their draft additions and Hard Knocks. They finished 3-5-1 last year and were competitive in many games so maybe they are ready to really turn the corner. I still think they are more a year away as getting back to even 7-11 would be a pretty big improvement in itself, but I can 100% buy those who see this team ascending sooner as their offense quietly has many good skill position players. Finding a way to go 3-3 in division and over .500 at home while winning even two road games (0-8-1 last year) would do wonders in their playoff hopes.

New York Giants- Schoen & Daboll are doing an honest reset right now with this entire roster, but they have talent in some areas and this division is pretty weak. IF ...IF Barkley is healthy I can easily see him eating carries while Jones is just asked to do enough passing wise with some designed runs mixed in. There defense got a superb addition with Kayvon Thibodeaux at DE and they were not an atrocious unit last year. I am a believer that a healthy culture across an org can help give a lift and the Giants seem to really be as an org having that. I am curious if that can translate to some early success on the field also.

IF THE STARS ALIGN.. Probably Not

Carolina

Washington

-They both are the same team to me. Each has a QB who has proven some past success to various degrees, but major question marks exist for each QB while their current clubs are hoping for a revival. The skill position players on each offense are anywhere from decent (CAR) to really good (WSH) so there is enough talent for each QB and neither schedule is daunting where if they made the playoffs it wouldn't be a complete shocker. Yet why does it feels like each team will finish 6-11/7-10 and you go "yeah they need to draft a new QB" while not having the draft capital to do so. Basically the drought era Bills from 2004-2009.

Sprinting To The Draft

Seattle- To recap they traded a QB who has averaged 11 wins a year as starter, who has averaged 26 TDs, and close to 4000 yds passing yards in a division with three playoff teams for draft picks, a few useful roster additions, and Drew Lock. Take a quick look at their schedule and tell me which games you would say they are favorites, I have three (*NYJ, CAR, & ATL). My conspiracy theory is they are tanking and resetting the deck without admitting it because no team can actually believe Geno Smith or Drew Lock is their long team answer.

Atlanta- The Falcons know they are going to be bad and smartly are positioning themselves for the future by taking a poison year to clear cap space and start bringing in young talent. Pitts & 1st rnd pick Drake London create a wonderful skill base on offense for the future and if Mariota or Ridder finds a decent connection with both the Falcons may need to worry about winning enough games to stay out of the top 3 of the draft. Long term ATL could really turn around quick given the talent they are building up front if they do get a top QB pick in 2023.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

1. Bucs

2. Packers

3. 49ers

4. Eagles

=================
5. Rams

6. Vikings

7. Cowboys

==================
8. Saints

9. Cardinals

10. Redskins

11. Giants

12.Seahawks

13. Lions

14. Panthers

15. Bears

16. Falcons

Curious your thoughts on Rams at 5? Sum of parts exceeded last year and now there more barren?

14 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Curious your thoughts on Rams at 5? Sum of parts exceeded last year and now there more barren?

Rams may have won the SB last year, but they were seeded #4 in the NFC playoffs. They went on to beat the #4 seed from the AFC. I give them props for getting rings, but I was not impressed by them at all. 49ers should’ve beaten them in the NFC Championship game last year, and I think they will finish ahead of them this year.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

Rams may have won the SB last year, but they were seeded #4 in the NFC playoffs. They went on to beat the #4 seed from the AFC. I give them props for getting rings, but I was not impressed by them at all. 49ers should’ve beaten them in the NFC Championship game last year, and I think they will finish ahead of them this year.

I can buy that they basically got a failing Cards squad, beat a Bucs team that was a asleep for 3 quarters, and then the 49ers blew and let them in to win. The SB was a good matchup for them as the worst element of CIN was their O Line and the best of LA was the D line.

My only thing is the NFC only weakened this offseason including their own division with Wilson gone and I won't fully bet on SF until I see Lance for a few games.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 947 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Rams, Bucs, or Packers didn't make the playoffs. The NFC is truly wide open.

Don’t know about no playoffs, but I can see the Vikings and 49ers winning their divisions if things fall into place for them. Bucs though, I think the Saints are their only possible competition but with a scrub HC… then again, Todd Bowles isn’t exactly proven either.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Depends on Lance. If he gives them decent QB play then its possible. SF has a good team. They are one of the most physical teams in the league on both sides of the ball.

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

What? They had a very solid roster last year, are you kidding me?

This year, IDK, they lost a LOT of key players… We’ll see…. But they still have a solid QB, a decent OL maybe, Maybe the best WR in football? Plus a nice stable. A good RB room.especially the kid at the top.

They have the greatest defender in the game. Now they signed Bobby Wagner…

they have Jalen Ramsey….

I’d put them at #2 in the NFC….

I like that the eagles got that WR and that DT but let’s not think they have a very solid roster….

• Agree 2

The NFC is wide open, but Sean McVay is a great coach. It took me a while to recognize it, but the guy is really good. The Rams won a ton of games with Jared Goff as their starter. That tells me all I need to know about McVay’s coaching ability. I think he’s what separates the Rams from the pack. 

1. Cowboys 11-6 ⬆️ 

2. Packers 11-6 ⬇️

3. Rams 10-7 ⬇️ 

4. Bucs 10-7 ⬇️ 

=================
5. 49ers 10-7 ⬆️

6. Cardinals 10-7 ⬆️

7. Eagles 10-7 ⬆️

==================
8. Vikings 9-8 ➡️

9. Giants 9-8 ⬆️

10. Panthers 8-9 ⬆️

11. Falcons 6-11 ⬆️

12. Redskins 6-11 ➡️

13. Lions 6-11 ⬆️

14. Bears 4-13 ➡️

15. Saints 4-13 ⬇️

16. Seahawks 3-14 ⬆️

==================
Wild Card

#7 Eagles > #2 Packers

#6 Cardinals > #3 Rams

#5 49ers > #4 Bucs

Div

#7 Eagles > #1 Cowboys

#6 Cardinals < #5 49ers

NFCC

#7 Eagles > #5 49ers

The playoffs:

Packers  12-5

Bucs 11-6

Cowboys 11-6

Rams 11-6

Vikings 10-7

Eagles 10-7

Panthers 9-8

Just missed - but you tried:

49ers 9-8

Arizona 9-8

Saints 8-9

Detroit 7-10

Terrible:

Washington 6-11

Giants 3-14

Chicago 3-14

Seattle 2-15

Falcons 2-15

Edited by Big Blitz

12 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

What? They had a very solid roster last year, are you kidding me?

This year, IDK, they lost a LOT of key players… We’ll see…. But they still have a solid QB, a decent OL maybe, Maybe the best WR in football? Plus a nice stable. A good RB room.especially the kid at the top..

My point is more the Rams are very star driven, but they don't have the best depth. That doesn't matter if your guys perform as they did last year, but at some point it can catch you a bit. I think Robinson is an insanely good fit in that offense which to me will be even better then last year.

The defense is the area I look and wonder a bit, but they have the best defensive player like you said and Ramsey shuts down half the field so you can do a lot worse.

10 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The NFC is wide open, but Sean McVay is a great coach. It took me a while to recognize it, but the guy is really good. The Rams won a ton of games with Jared Goff as their starter. That tells me all I need to know about McVay’s coaching ability. I think he’s what separates the Rams from the pack. 

To me he is the 21st century BB. The guy excels at finding matchups game in game out to exploit the way BB has for two decades. The difference is BB is more defensive in his approach, McVay is an offensive guy so the stuff he does is more exciting. It will be interesting to see how long he coaches for as he has a SB, has gone to two, and the rumors are he does not want to burn out and may leave in a few years kinda like John Madden did.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rico said:

1. Bucs

2. Packers

3. 49ers

4. Eagles

=================
5. Rams

6. Vikings

7. Cowboys

==================
8. Saints

9. Cardinals

10. Redskins

11. Giants

12.Seahawks

13. Lions

14. Panthers

15. Bears

16. Falcons

Good list. The only thing I would change is the Cowboys and Eagles.

58 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Good list. The only thing I would change is the Cowboys and Eagles.

Yeah, I’d agree cause I really don’t trust Hurts yet, but Dak was such a clownshow in the playoff game last year that I just couldn’t do it on principle. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

the difference in QB quality between the two conferences is staggering.

Yep but a lot can change in a year if Fields emerges and odds are the top two QBs go NFC in the draft it will look different. Also so QBs in the AFC I think will show maybe they are not as good as it seems, could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.