Should Bills players go on podcasts and break down plays and even their own MO in detail?

StHustle

57 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Maybe change the title if you don't want opinions? Making your title a question implies you want dialogue with different viewpoints vs just exposing your view and acting patronizing and condescending to others for theirs (aka "fool").

I legitimately want opinions...but when 10 replies pour in minutes after my post, it was obvious the video wasn't watched therefore a general response saying "nothing to worry about here" isn't gonna be accepted with open arms. The guy was on there telling which formations are dynamic and which are static and what they are taught to do based on which coverage...like c'mon man we have a new coordinator trying to get things going...don't go teach people what he's teaching you! And stop telling defenders what you look for pre snap and what your reaction is based on a certain look. Giving the opponent any little edge for the sake of a podcast appearance is irresponsible AF.

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I legitimately want opinions...but when 10 replies pour in minutes after my post, it was obvious the video wasn't watched therefore a general response saying "nothing to worry about here" isn't gonna be accepted with open arms. The guy was on there telling which formations are dynamic and which are static and what they are taught to do based on which coverage...like c'mon man we have a new coordinator trying to get things going...don't go teach people what he's teaching you! And stop telling defenders what you look for pre snap and what your reaction is based on a certain look. Giving the opponent any little edge for the sake of a podcast appearance is irresponsible AF.

I can't speak for others but I saw that video before you posted it. I thought it was odd but then I thought about the NFL and felt differently about it.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

so you won’t concede there is a difference when the player themselves is telling you rather than an outsider trying to make educated assumptions without being in the players brain?

Starting to think almost no one who responded actually watched the video to see what I was talking about. This wasn’t your usual player break down. It’s the most in depth breakdown I’ve ever heard a player publicly do on their own game and tendencies and how they make their decisions. Just seems COMPLETELY unnecessary ESPECIALLY from a player trying to finally crack a roster. KEEP THINGS TO YOURSELF! The NFL is a game of inches and even the smallest advantage can tip a game! Don’t give away unnecessary info then wonder why your stuff isn’t as effective moving forward!!

Just for the record, I did watch the video.  And I did learn things I didn't know.

But I'm just some random fan.  If BB watched this, I think he would conclude it was a waste of time.  The Bills are not reinventing the wheel.  They are not employing uniquely novel concepts BB doesn't already thoroughly understand.   When you've immersed yourself in this stuff seven days a week for 20, 30, 40 years, your comprehension goes beyond "educated assumptions." 

I'd even go so far as to say BB understands the Bills offense better than anybody in that video.  But understanding it doesn't mean he can stop it.  He doesn't know each play-call ahead of time nor does he have the talent to match up with us.

But I get what you're saying.  I'm a former army officer, so I value OPSEC - operations security.  The Bills should - and probably do - give their employees instructions on what they can, and can't, reveal publicly.  And when you draw that boundary, you need to err on the side of caution.

• Like (+1) 6

No, there is no need for concern here. These players, and especially Cover 1, arent telling any NFL professionals anything they dont already know or cant already figure out on their own.

EVERY coach and almost every player understands the game at a whole different level than any of us civilians.

• Like (+1) 3

Dorsey is using Daboll's offense.  It's a variation of the Ernhardt-Perkins system with some spread concepts mixed in. 

Daboll learned this offense from Belichick in New England.

Any tweaks Daboll added, or Dorsey adds, BB and other knowledgeable coaches will identify quickly because of their immense familiarity with E-P.  

I sure hope opponents are game planning against Isaiah Hodgins. They'll be in for a surprise when 5 other receivers get more playing time than him (if he is even on the roster).

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Dorsey is using Daboll's offense.  It's a variation of the Ernhardt-Perkins system with some spread concepts mixed in. 

Daboll learned this offense from Belichick in New England.

Any tweaks Daboll added, or Dorsey adds, BB and other knowledgeable coaches will identify quickly because of their immense familiarity with E-P.  

Belichick had our offense all figured out last year, right? That's why we didn't punt in two straight games?

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I sure hope opponents are game planning against Isaiah Hodgins. They'll be in for a surprise when 5 other receivers get more playing time than him (if he is even on the roster).

Belichick had our offense all figured out last year, right? That's why we didn't punt in two straight games?

Yeah but I'm sure our often injured fringe roster WR was out giving away team trade secrets on YouTube in the weeks before cut down day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Just for the record, I did watch the video.  And I did learn things I didn't know.

But I'm just some random fan.  If BB watched this, I think he would conclude it was a waste of time.  The Bills are not reinventing the wheel.  They are not employing uniquely novel concepts BB doesn't already thoroughly understand.   When you've immersed yourself in this stuff seven days a week for 20, 30, 40 years, your comprehension goes beyond "educated assumptions." 

I'd even go so far as to say BB understands the Bills offense better than anybody in that video.  But understanding it doesn't mean he can stop it.  He doesn't know each play-call ahead of time nor does he have the talent to match up with us.

But I get what you're saying.  I'm a former army officer, so I value OPSEC - operations security.  The Bills should - and probably do - give their employees instructions on what they can, and can't, reveal publicly.  And when you draw that boundary, you need to err on the side of caution.

That’s fair. Maybe it’s not a big deal at all. Still wish Hodgins would leave a little to the imagination. We as fans don’t need to know which way he decides to run based on the defenders position. I also think it was super unnecessary for a player with zero career snaps who may finally get his shot, to jump on a pod and reveal so much. With all that has been said…I’m a Hodgins guy and hope he sticks around. I can’t see Kumerow’s upside on teams outweighing what this guy brings to the table as a legit outside WR backup.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

To the point of coordinators and teaching things. Many coaches host/attend clinics where they talk about what they teach.  Many players attend summits and practices together. Heck players change teams all the time. It’s not difficult to know what’s being taught. It’s been discussed that’s how BB grew Brady. He explained to Tom what the coaches were teaching their defenders. This point is to say there is so much sharing now a days that it’s not too difficult to find out what’s being taught. Heck cover 1 has video of Kromer at a clinic talking about incognito and Bobby Johnson talking about Bates.  This info is out there already 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Logic said:

These players care A LOT about winning. They spend every waking hour upkeeping their bodies and studying playbooks and risking their health to try to win. Some players across the league may not care much about winning, but our guys do. That's the only type of player Beane brings to the roster. He also brings really SMART players to the roster, like Mitch Morse, for example.

Given their burning desire to win and their often high level of intelligence, I really, SINCERELY doubt that these players would participate in these types of shows if they thought it would give their opponent a competitive edge. 

I also kind of doubt that Belichick has scouts watching the Cover 1 interviews with a notepad in hand, scribbling down details of Isaiah Hodgins' technique. I mean...with Belichick, ya never know, but I doubt it.

Man you get carried away.

You are clueless if you actually believe the bolded.

These are young men.......they put in enough time and then they have plenty of other interests as well.........they aren't spending every waking hour on their career.

How do you see Josh Allen going from one recreational activity to another all offseason..........then talking about how he's binged dozens of hours of TV shows in camp.........and you think that every player.........most with far less invested in the organization than Allen........is spending 16 hours a day on football?? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Man you get carried away.

You are clueless if you actually believe the bolded.

These are young men.......they put in enough time and then they have plenty of other interests as well.........they aren't spending every waking hour on their career.

How do you see Josh Allen going from one recreational activity to another all offseason..........then talking about how he's binged dozens of hours of TV shows in camp.........and you think that every player.........most with far less invested in the organization than Allen........is spending 16 hours a day on football?? 

I could point out how weird and sort of sad it is that you comb through my posts, just looking for a reason to insult me or start an argument.

I could point out that there was a clear element of exaggeration to my statement, and that you’re picking nits and being rude even though you likely agree with my overall point about the harmlessness of players doing podcasts.

But ya know what? I realize I’ve been dealing with you the wrong way all these months.

When someone has such unhappiness inside them that they feel the need to constantly try to make others as unhappy as them, one should not respond to that person with the same level of base, ugly cruelty that that person dishes out. One should respond instead with compassion, and with loving, nurturing behavior.

I apologize for failing you in the past, BADOL. I will treat you only with love and kindness from here on out. 

I hope you have a great night, my friend.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

I could point out how weird and sort of sad it is that you comb through my posts, just looking for a reason to insult me or start an argument.

I could point out that there was a clear element of exaggeration to my statement, and that you’re picking nits and being rude even though you likely agree with my overall point about the harmlessness of players doing podcasts.

But ya know what? I realize I’ve been dealing with you the wrong way all these months.

When someone has such unhappiness inside them that they feel the need to constantly try to make others as unhappy as them, one should not respond to that person with the same level of base, ugly cruelty that that person dishes out. One should respond instead with compassion, and with loving, nurturing behavior.

I apologize for failing you in the past, BADOL. I will treat you only with love and kindness from here on out. 

I hope you have a great night, my friend.

When I open a thread I read posts..........yours just often contain something totally absurd in them..........and usually it's in the first sentence or two.......so no "combing" necessary.

You seem to think wild exaggeration adds gravity to your point.

It does not.

There was no humorous element to your hyperbole........you were shouting down people questioning how much info players should share with media.

If you don't mean it.........don't say it..........it's that simple.

That's your bad.......not mine.

As for how you want to respond to me.......do what you want........I'm not disagreeing with you for any reason other than your takes are often extremely illogical.

Maybe you will be like @C.Biscuit97 who for years had angry tantrums about my criticism of his similarly illogical takes.  He eventually realized I was right and grudgingly started using some common sense.    Not that we let him forget those stupid takes though.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I mean come on… “every waking hour up keeping their bodies”…. These dudes are mostly 24 to 27 years old playing video games…. Josh was playing golf all spring. 😅

I'm sure you've never in your life used hyperbole. Not once.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When I open a thread I read posts..........yours just often contain something totally absurd in them..........and usually it's in the first sentence or two.......so no "combing" necessary.

It does not.

There was no humorous element to your hyperbole........you were shouting down people questioning how much info players should share with media.

As for how you want to respond to me.......do what you want........I'm not disagreeing with you for any reason other than your takes are often extremely illogical.

Maybe you will be like @C.Biscuit97 who for years had angry tantrums about my criticism of his similarly illogical takes.  He eventually realized I was right and grudgingly started using some common sense.    Not that we let him forget those stupid takes though.    

Sometimes when I feel insecure or ill at ease, I, too, lash out at others. 

It's an understandable impulse. 

I find it helpful to take a few deep breaths and consider what it is that is really at the root of my unhappiness rather than projecting my negative feelings onto others. You may find this technique helpful, too.

I hope you have a nice Thursday!

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, MJS said:

A couple centuries ago when I play HS football, our varsity squad scrimmaged against the JV one day.  Both squads used the same playbook so we knew each other's plays intimately.   At some point during the scrimmage, the varsity coaches started yelling the plays out before we ran them.  Despite knowing the calls, the JV defense still couldn't stop our varsity offense.  We were bigger, faster, and more talented.

Belichick understands the Bills O.  Heck, he more or less designed it and taught it to Daboll during his days there.  But last year, BB didn't have the advantage of knowing the play-calls.  Nor did he have players who could execute at the same level as Josh, Diggs, and company.     

For anyone who still wants to argue the point, what did Hodgins say that you think would be revelatory to Belichick?  The guy has been breaking down film since he did it with his dad before the U.S. first sent troops to Vietnam.  He's probably the world's foremost expert on the E-P offensive system.  While some of Hodgin's comments helped me understand things better, I really don't think he told other teams anything they wouldn't easily figure out on their own.  If you believe otherwise, I suggest you are underestimating the deep expertise of NFL coaches.  

But, to the broader point: Yeah, there needs to be some clearly articulated limits governing what players disclose.  

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It does not.

Has @Logic weighed in yet on the comparison between Dick Jauron and Bill Belichick? :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I had zero issues with the video and the breakdowns.  I doubt very much he said or did anything that isn't discussed in every receiver room reviewing film.  I for one appreciated the lingo, the red line for instance, and felt I learned a few things I didn't know.  It also reinforced my notion that the Bills draft intelligent and articulate players.  For me, it was the first chance to really get to know Hodgins who has been talked down on this board since he was drafted and hurt.  I like the player much more today after watching the video.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.